Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a hold of a 2003 Navigation Manual (my MDX is still a month away). I don't have a 2001 or 2002 MDX with Navigation, so I can't spot all of the differences, but these look new:

1. All 88 of the new Voice Control System commands are listed in the Manual in 5 categories:
a. SETUP (4 for Brightness, 5 for volume and 4 display commands)
b. DISPLAY (35 commands from display map, display scale choices, display gas station, restaurant, ATM, Zoom in, zoom out, etc.)
c. OTHER COMMANDS (25 commands like: How long, or far to destination, what time is it, find nearest Acura/Honda dealer, find nearest gas station, hospital, find nearest Italian restaurant, find nearest parking lot, etc.
d. A/C-INFO (5 commands for setup, trip computer, voice command help, calendar and calculator)
e. OVERRIDE COMMANDS (10 commands like main menu, repeat, back, etc.)

2. In addition, there are 13 pages of detailed screen-by screen Voice Control System command applications listed, with even more voice commands discussed for: direct route, easy route, etc., next, previous, number (1, 2, 3, etc.), which makes the system even more flexible. Many of these 13 pages of voice commands, and some of the above 88 Voice Control System commands are duplicates. Maybe, this is why there's confusion about the total number of voice commands?

3. There's a PC card slot (new?) in the DVD control unit that's located in the trunk (we have a trunk?). Page 111 of the manual says that although "a PC card is not supplied. The PC card slot is for expanding functions in the future"; I've not read this anywhere before and I hope the PC card news is not a mis-print! WOW, does Acura plan to let us upgrade the 2003 Navigation system for planned enhancements?

I don't know if I'll use all of the Voice Commands, all of the time, but there seem to be enough available for me to pick a few favorites that should make the system more fun to use.

The whole manual is 127 pages long, with the Voice Control System section only 22 pages. I guess most of the other information is just carry-forward instructions from previous years, but I'm not sure. I hope this update helps. I'll try to answer any Navigation Manual questions on this Thread.

vcolangelo

·
Registered
249 Posts
Manual

Hey nice work! Did you get the manual from your dealer?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003 Navigation Manual

HrdTsk

Not from my dealer, they know NOTHING!

I actually got it from Acura Customer Service. After calling Helm for weeks, I called Acura on Thursday, explained how long I had been waiting and begged them for it. The nice lady sent me the book for free (I paid the Fed Ex charge).

Surprise! Now Helm is listing the Navigation Manual as "Out of Stock", which, based on my experience with ordering the 2003 Owners Manual and the 2003 Service Manual, means that they're getting ready to start selling them any day.

By the way, any news on your SS/Quartz/Touring/Navi? My dealer is as quiet as a doorknob. Even Jamie can't find out anything about our model, color and Navi combination. I'm off to my dealership this afternoon; I'll let you know what I hear.

vcolangelo

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Sounds like they put some nice goodies for you guys waiting for the 03 nav. The voice capability sounds pretty cool but I guess time will tell how often it gets used in the future. Like vcolangelo says you will end up picking your favs and just using them. Otherwise very cool. I noticed you had mentioned a calander and a calculator? That is a new feature. I wonder if the dvd player is going to take up room in the cargo area where the rear seat rests are. PC slot huh? Well I for one am crossing my fingers and legs that Acura will be so kind as to give us 01/02 owners the functionality and looks of the new nav without the voice. I can live without voice for now cause I have never used it. Congratulations in advance for your purchase.

·
3,109 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
I wonder if the dvd player is going to take up room in the cargo area where the rear seat rests are.
I think it is in one of the rear side compartments, not in that bottom storage area. Where is it in your `02?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2003 Navi - PC Card Speculation

I hate to start speculation about the new Navi PC Card feature (like we did for all of the hoped for new 2003 features), but adding this slot makes provision for a whole bunch of possibilities that we've been reading about for Honda's new Internavi (integrated: internet services, telephone, traffic updates, promotions offered by businesses in you vicinity, etc.) system in launched in Japan this year.

Any other thoughts?

vcolangelo

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
ZAFER: It is under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jaime says.......

Hey vcolangelo!!

The last word I got from Jaime (surprise?-not my dealer) is that the only possible original production dates for SS/Quartz/Navi were Nov 8 or Nov 15. These have been delayed 2 weeks but new production dates were not assigned. Therefore neither you nor I technically have a production date. The infamous delayed combination, however, will be built in Nov, just not sure exactly when. Allow 7-14 days after production for delivery. So it appears the latest possible delivery date would be December 15.

Counting down............

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HrdTsk- Counting Down

I'm running out of numbers; I've been counting down since 6/24/02.

Thanks for the update. I did test drive a 2003 at my dealer on Saturday. A 5 minute drive (my first in an MDX) and I couldn't tell much. It seemed very smooth, quiet and fast, but anything would fit into that category after 2 years in an Expedition.

I need some quality time in the car (without my salesperson) to get the real effect. But, so far so good.

I was able to get an order number (see below) on Saturday. Do you have anything like this; what's it mean?

vcolangelo

·
Registered
249 Posts
Order #

My order reference # is A11-27302-U05

rn4fun posted their order reference # a while back and it is A11-27302-U15

Lance Crowley posted theirs and it is A11-27302-U16

From what I know in talking to Jaime on the phone...

The first letter indicates if the car is an alocated (A) car or a supplemental (S) car. A certain allocated # of cars are allowed to be ordered by each dealer from Acura each month. I think how many can be ordered depends on the size and selling history of the dealership. A supplemental car is one that is granted to the dealer as an option/reward if they meet certain delearship criteria (like having a new showroom etc).

The number before the hyphen is the month that the order is put in for (11 = Nov etc).

This much Jaime shared with me, the rest is speculation on my part.

The five digit # must be an Acura code for the model and production run. It becomes part of your VIN #

The U must stand for unit and Acura must number the units as order #s are assigned.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Order Codes

HrdTsk,

It doesn't make me happy that everybody's an A11-27302 and I'm an A11-27303. Am I reading too much into the numbers?

vcolangelo

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HrdTsk - My Production Date is in

HrdTsk,

Just heard from my dealer that a production date range of between 11/11 and 11/16 was assigned to my order number. From your conversations with Jamie, can you tell how this converts to a delivery date.

Thanks,

vcolangelo

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Stopped by my dealer today on way home. They have 4 02's and an 03' Touring on the lot that I could see. Sat in the 03'. Not a fan of the new style plood. Acura actually found a way to make the steering wheel controls look cheesier IMHO. Me like the new kick plates. Saw in person the rain sensor. It is big but who the heck looks up there. The leather center console is just that.The reason I went to the dealer was to ask about the Nav upgrade for my "dinosaur". I believe that people on this forum know 2-3 times more than the dealer. I just shook my head. I asked if the 03 nav would be backwards compatible in any way with the 01/02. If I had a camera to take a picture of the look on his face. "Uh look at the Alpine website or call their 800 number."
OOOOOOOKay then......will sit patiently and wait on the site amongst my mega-intelligent compadres.:)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I did go to the Alpine website and it looks to be updated from what I can tell with regards to the Nav coverage. I am kinda pissed if this is indeed the update from my version cause my city is still not on the detailed coverage area. I hope this is still the old version. One thing I did notice on the FAQ was this:

Do I need to buy every navigation software release?

No, just as you do not need to buy every edition of a map, you do not need to buy every edition of the software. Every version of sofware is backwards compatible to the very first edition.

Very interesting. Does anyone know what they mean?

Here is the website:

http://www.alpine1.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html

Then click PRODUCTS,then NAVCOVERAGE

·
Registered
293 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
I believe that people on this forum know 2-3 times more than the dealer. I just shook my head.
yet i'm paying the dealer $3-4k+ for them being able to get a MDX from Acura and i cannot ... :confused:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: Order Codes

vcolangelo said:
HrdTsk,

It doesn't make me happy that everybody's an A11-27302 and I'm an A11-27303. Am I reading too much into the numbers?

vcolangelo
Hey!

Like I said, I don't know what the middle numbers mean. As long as you know that you have a valid order ref #, it seems your car will be in the production works for sometime in the next 3 weeks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: HrdTsk - My Production Date is in

vcolangelo said:
HrdTsk,

Just heard from my dealer that a production date range of between 11/11 and 11/16 was assigned to my order number. From your conversations with Jamie, can you tell how this converts to a delivery date.

Thanks,

vcolangelo
Hey vcolangelo:

Jaime said to add 10 days to the 11/16 date. Looks like it will be before Dec 1 for your delivery. Keep me posted!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HrdTsk - More Delivery Info

HrdTsk,

I just spoke to Jamie and he confirmed that I had an 11/11 to 11/16 production range too. Acura seems to have caught up on their backlog, so Jamie said that this range converts to a real build date of TOMORROW. Deliveries to his shop in North Carolina seem to be running around 7 days. Delivery by Gobble, Gobble day would be Great!!

vcolangelo

·
Registered
249 Posts
Delivery Date

Hey vcolangelo:

My dealer called me today too and said I have a production date of 11/18. He said to plan on a 10 day delivery time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar...

Similarly, my touring/nav/dvd '03 had a production date of 11/16 and I am told to expect it around 11/26 in Greensboro, NC.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts