Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our new X yesterday, great vehicle!!
I'm wondering if anyone could address this problem with the nav. When I search for Costco (the warehouse store) it only returns the addresses of the stores in British Columbia! Is there some way to make it search locally?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Did you setup yours correctly?

I do not own nav x but when i was setting up my friend's nav you have to set your home state first. I think it will say upper-right corner like VA for Virginia.

if that doesnt work, just wait for the other to reply :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
2003 Navi Problems

If changing states doesn't work, some users have reported initial Navi confusion about where it is immediately after delivery.

No Kidding. A couple of new systems thought they were in Torrance California for the first day or 2 (it's the home of both the MDX USA and the company that manufacturers the Navi unit).

Give it a little more time before you panic; it might straighten itself out.

vcolangelo

·
Registered
499 Posts
The best and easiest is to search by phone number!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Typing in the name of a POI can be a very frustrating experience. I have an '02 and I'm sure the mechanism is the same. I was testing Costco myself just about an hour ago.

I happen to live within 1/4 mile of a Costco that has been here about 4 years. Typing in Name: Costco revealed results just like yours, if I selected just the Costco. Unfortunately, the logic for name searches is pretty lame, IMHO, with the Nav system. If you type in Costco Wholesalers, that might get your local Costco to show up. BTW, my Costco isn't there in the Nav as well...not one of the 3.5 million POI's.

On another note, while trying to find a Sears the other day, I was frustrated to find that to get the local Sears to be displayed, I had to actually type Sears Roebuck & Co.

I feel the programmers could have / can / should pay a lot more attention to the user-friendliness of the name-input logic.

I also concur with the "Enter by Phone Number" idea. Much more precise. However, one must first know the #.

Rgds,

JohnW

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I gave up on the POI awhile ago. In my opinion, great concept but just gets you more fustrated than it is worth. Especially when you praise the navigation system to someone and it makes you look silly.I swear whenever I look for something it isn't there. I punched in a phone number of a restaurant(verified number before hand) and it did not come up with the nav but if I searched the name on the nav and it did with another phone number. I called the number on the nav and it too was the restaurant. Go figure.... a restaurant with 2 lines. Do yourself a favor and put a phone book in your X.(god knows the glove box can handle it)The navigation works absolutely flawless if you enter the address.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I put in the phone number of my corporation (owned my me) and up came the address, but the name listed was one of my employees! The phone number listed to the corp. Don't know where they got his name. When I told him, he pumped his arm and said YES! :)

I think the NAV people must use more than just phone records to get the numbers and addresses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your input. I called Acura client services (listed in back of nav manual) with the problem, the rep who answered was a nice guy and tried hard to help but didn't have a clue. I will try some of the other methods mentioned here, but it sort of defeats the purpose when you are not in your home area and you only have the name of a place with no address or phone (unless of course its Vancouver BC and your looking for Costco!) :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
To search locally

You can enter the places category, search under stores, and then there is an option to find the closest ones to your current location.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Splitwindow, the POI database....

Splitwindow said:
Picked up our new X yesterday, great vehicle!!
I'm wondering if anyone could address this problem with the nav. When I search for Costco (the warehouse store) it only returns the addresses of the stores in British Columbia! Is there some way to make it search locally?
........in the Acura Navi system (especially the new 2nd generation Navi) is possibly THE BEST in the business. As a matter of fact, this particular area is where the Acura Navi shows it's CLEAR SUPERIORITY over everything else out there!!. I do agree that for some listings it takes a few tries before you eventually find what you'e looking for. However, in all other Navigation Systems you probably won't even be able to find what you're looking for AT ALL!!

Just like in the Yellow Pages phone book, listings are not always inserted under a certain category or business name. This is very dependent on how the particular company lists itself. So you 've got to get a bit creative and try several different names and sub-categories.

Here's a tip on how to do this: I'll use your above example of COSTCO.
The moment I read your post, I went out and tested it. After choosing PLACES---NAME Several different variations popped up when I typed in COSTCO. First selected just "COSTCO" with no luck (tried all the sub-categories) and the nearest ones listed were like 1150 miles away etc. Then tried various others such as "COSTCO RETAIL", "COSTCO WAREHOUSE" etc. Finally, I got the right one: "COSTCO WHOLESALE" ---- when the sub-categories popped up, "SHOPPING" ended up being the right one. Every single COSTCO in my vicinity was listed here.

Try the above and I can pretty much guarantee that your nearest COSTCO will be listed (unless that particular one is a very new location)
Again the procedure is: Type COSTCO and then press "LIST". Scroll down to "COSTCO WHOLESALE" and select it. Then, when the sub-category screen appears, select "SHOPPING" and you should see all the nearest Costcos sorted by distance!!

·
3,109 Posts
Re: the POI database....

I've found it very annoying that the database search algorithm will take every punctuation literally, and will not search based on significant words and letters. For e.g. searching for Romanos will not locate Romano's, same chain, written differently. Not to mention, some are just listed as Macaroni Grill. Or like Nana's vs. Nanas. Same goes for some places that have or haven't got a dash, or a space in their name.

...and whats up with these Chinese restaurants listed in the Italian category! Tony's gonna pay infoUSA a visit next season :twak:

·
Registered
446 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts