Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2003 acura mdx has developed an intermitant starting issue.sometimes when turning the key to start nothing happens but all the lights come on in the dash like normal.after 2-20 tries it will crank and fire up.battery is fully charged and the starter is brand new so I'm at a loss.ive even tried the spare key but still have the same issue.has anyone else here experienced this issue?

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's the starter. When it doesn't turn over, open the hood, use a hammer and screwdriver and give the starter a rap, it should start, definitely starter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the starter. When it doesn't turn over, open the hood, use a hammer and screwdriver and give the starter a rap, it should start, definitely starter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
so I go outside to test your theory bratcop .damn thing started everytime,will have to leave it until morning and see if it reverts back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after reading up on this subject on this forum and a few other places including the manual,it seems to be a common problem.looks like the immobilizer does not recognize the key chip at times.i wrapped my key in tinfoil and it still started so the info in the manual about not using a metal key fob is a song and dance.the next time we get a no crank situation we have to check and see if the key symbol is flashing on the dash.if it flashes in the on position then the chip is not being recognized.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what a tough problem to pin down when its so intermitant.have not had an issue with it since sunday no now what,start changing parts until it goes away? lol >:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try this next time it doesn't start. Turn the key into ignition and move the car into neutral. Then try to start the car. If that works then it's the neutral safety switch. It's under the battery.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try this next time it doesn't start. Turn the key into ignition and move the car into neutral. Then try to start the car. If that works then it's the neutral safety switch. It's under the battery.
tried that trick last weekend when it was a complete no-start and it worked.has worked 4 more times for my wife when she was leaving work.does not always do the trick imeadiatly when in neutral but with a bit of wiggling of the shifter it will start.ordered the part yesterday and hopefully it will be here by Friday.

thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the part finally arrived(neutral/shift position switch) and of course theres been no starting issues all week.going to install the part after lunch and see if the trouble returns.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
man that damn thing was stuck on there big time.i could not get it off,ended up taking to a local garage and it took them 3 hours to swap it out.thankfully the guy is real decent and charged me 1.5 hours labour,oh the joys of road salt in the winter.i just hope that was the problematic part.stay tuned for more.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
day 6 since that part was changed out and the starting problems has disappeared.hope this thread will help others.

:nerd:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having issues now as well. I just had the trans replaced and now the car won't turn over. Lights on and clicks. I was told it's the alternator not the starter. Is this the case before I go buy an alternator tomorrow?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It does start with a boost. A new battery was bought in January. When I get a boost it runs then all gauges "drop" and it looks like the truck is off even though it's running until it really cuts off. When I turn it off and start it, it clicks. Lights on, clicks but won't start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts