Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be a good topic. Speculation is fun plus any rumours or recent discoveries have the poetential to put more detail on the oh so fuzzy image we all must have on what will hit the showroom floors this fall.

What they Gonna do:

I have heard it is pretty much certain there will be an engine upgrade. This will help up the towing spec and performance but will it impact the gas milage? Will it take regular fuel? Will the engine be as efficient?

What they OTTA DO:

I think most here will agree BSM should be standard. The design might get refreshed and protection added. Perhaps fender flares could be a touring package addition. Maybe they can drop the passenger power seat.

I'd like to see the sound systems improved on both . Present systems just don't cut it.

Seats could be a little less firm and more comfortable.

Auto-on head lamps would be great.

Will they lengthen the body to match the new Honda "X"?

How will any changes affect the price point?

:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
As someone who will be in the market when the 2003s come out, I have some opinions on this. This is a different perspective than those who already own an MDX, and is completely subjective to boot.

- Engine. Test drove the current MDX and I think it's fine. I will never turn down more power, but a bigger engine isn't going to make me more likely to buy.

- Bodyside molding. Leave it an accessory. Not everyone wants them, and it adds another small way to differentiate.

- Refreshed design. Not necessary. The current design is still turning heads and is rare enough not to need tweaking.

- Protection added. Not sure what you mean here. Some on this board have called for side-head airbags, but that's like the bigger engine to me--okay, but I don't really care.

- Fender flares on touring. NO!!! I want a touring MDX but the fender flares look really silly on all but a couple of colors.

- Drop power passenger seat. Again, I would be very against this. This is supposed to be a luxury SUV, and some features are just expected.

- Improved sound systems. Not necessary in the least. I was blown away with the quality of the touring stereo--MUCH better than I expected. Anything more is expensive overkill.

- Less firm seats. Love them as they are, but then again I only drove for about 15 minutes. I thought they'd be fine for long trips, though--cozy yet supportive.

- Auto-on lamps. No way. At the most make this user-selectable. I hate rental cars with the auto-on lamps and auto-locking doors, and I associate those features with cheapo American cars. I think I can decide for myself when to turn the headlights on.

- Lengthen the body. Please, no. The MDX is sized about perfectly. Any longer or wider and I would have to think seriously about looking for something smaller.

- Price point. Acura can't afford to drive the price too high, because part of the MDX's allure is the incredible value.

I guess what it comes down to is that I really like the MDX the way it is RIGHT NOW! I'm sure that there are ways for them to improve it, but I just can't think of any right now. It seems to me that most of the tweaks you recommend, though, would make me less likely to buy an MDX or would be expensive for Acura with no impact on my decision at all.

·
681 Posts
I Go With Iceman

I pretty much agree with Iceman, although certainly individual taste differ. But if my wife ever found out that someone even suggested dropping her power seat for some ticky tacky plastic body cladding .........
As to the seat, I guess I have had my generous buns perched in those seats as much as anyone and only looooooooooooong TRIPS and I think that the longer the day the more the firm seats hold up.
YMMV

Meep Meep

·
Registered
67 Posts
The one thing that I'm finding annoying is the climate control. I wonder why they did not put a knob on like other Acuras so you can mix a little heat into the vent. Also it is usually blowing too fast; I end up shutting the thing off because it's too hot or too cold.

Oh well, just had to find something to complain about!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I agree with Iceman too. If I could have my 'druthers, I'd like the power passenger seat as an option on the base model, and I'd REALLY like a REAL parking brake with a handle on the console rather than that Buick-ish push-on/push-off pedal. Frankly, most outside trim stuff turns me off; maybe that explains why I've never owned a Pontiac!

·
Registered
273 Posts
IMO

1. Traction Control (an accessory)
2. User selectable dusk/dawn headlights.
3. User selectable auto door locks.
4. HIDs (an accessory)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Next Gen MDX

Here is what I like to see-

1) All the models available now and an option of the very NICHE market specialties that enthusiast want. Mercedes and BMW and Ford does it..why dont Acura???

And here is what I want see on that Optional Model:

1) MUGEN MDX-
-325 horsepower V-6 tuned by Mugen Performance
-Mugen titanium headers and exhaust
-20 inch custom NICHE high performance wheels
-Dual HID lighting systems
-Mobile DVD entertainment system with wireless head phones and gaming pods
-Rear video backup system
-Premier sound systems with crossovers and digital filters for THX and surround sounds for movies with automatic fold down plasma monitor for games and movies. Front MP3 head unit for music.
-Dual fail-over intercooler for larger towing capacity
-night vision with heat recognition for night driving.
-Heated rear seats
-Real wood
-Six speed semi-automatic with F-1 shifter

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine wishes are more simple:

1) OnStar would be nice to have. Or a least a decent built-in cellphone.

2) A rear-view camera added to the NAV display.

3) A strap on the tailgate so short people (the wife) can reach it to close it!

Don

·
Registered
161 Posts
MY WIFE IS SHORT TOO....WHAT IS HEIGHT OF YOUR WIFE?
I'M GETTING MY X SOON....AND NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS POTENTIAL PROBLEM OF CLOSING THE TAILGATE DOOR. (MAY HAVE TO RECONSIDER PURCHASE).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Iceman sums it all up. I just got my 2002 Mahogany Touring NAV. At one point during the long wait I was speculating about switching to a 2003 model. Glad I did not. When I test drove the 2001 demo last year my only serious gripe was the noise level. Well I am happy to say that the 2002 model is MUCH quieter - almost as quiet as the Lexus RX 300. The MDX is as easy to drive as the RX 300 yet it is SO MUCH bigger. The width has given the MDX a 4.0 rollover rating - the best in the SUV class and better than many cars and station wagons. The 2003 model may be bigger and better, but for now I am perfectly content with what I have. It pays to skip the new model year - you get a near perfect vehicle with the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only thing that I really wish they would add is auto-open sunroof. I really hate having to hold the button "that long". :eek: Auto-open and close windows wouldn't be bad either (Lexus has them). I have to agree with roadrunner's wife about the power seats. If you start taking away the power extras you end up with a Ford or Chevy. MARFONG - I am 5'2" and have no problem reaching the back gate to close it, but if I were much shorter it might be. Ask your dealer/salesman if they can let you know when they get one in so your wife can go down and try to close the gate. (That could be a new one for them!:rolleyes: 0)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I Dunno....

Calling for changes/improvements on such a well rounded vehicle is really a "splitting hairs" proposition, but here's my take after almost two months of ownership:
The power's fine. Install a K&N air filter and run synthetic oil, then leave it alone.
Xenon's would be nice, especially for keeping up with the competition.
Make the NAV standard so chumps like me won't be filled with regret for not getting it.
The audio system (even on the Touring model) really ain't that great. I'm no audiophile but it doesn't even sound as good as the system that came on my Subaru Outback Limited.
A mobile DVD setup would be a nice option.
My climate control needs to be controlled; in the AUTO and FULL AUTO mode it vacillates between too hot or too cold. Give us a simple manual setting.
Some more foo foo color options would be cool. A pale green and another interior color (grey?) would be suitably groovy.
Improve and/or move the ineffective parking brake.
Some kind of stability control system sounds like a good idea but I've read comparisons between the 'X and vehicles that have it and the Acura seems to hold it's own. Go figure.
Increased supply, shorter waiting times and room to DEAL...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Automatic (?) Climate Control

Glad to hear others have had issues with the egomaniacal behavoir of the Auto AC system in the X. It blows hot and cold often without regard to the actual interior temperature it's trying to change.
I believe the "sensor" at the base of the windshield is just in the wrong place. It catches too much sun, which makes the system think things are much warmer in the car than they actually are during the day.
A simple fix is to just manually turn OFF the air conditioning, taking the system from FULL AUTO to just AUTO. But, hey, Acura...why not move that sensor away from the windshield exposure and put it closer to where the people sit?

·
Registered
87 Posts
3.8 Liter

Great post! Latest issue of Motor Trend "confirms" the addition of the 3.8 Liter engine, presumably between 260 - 290 HP? Should give the 4.4i a little competition. In addition to a more powerful engine I would like to see:

HIDs with autoleveling, 17" x 8" wheels, better cornering and stopping distances without the width being too obnoxious, larger sun roof, DVD for rear pasengers, side curtain head air-bags, manumatic transmission, button for auto assist to lower rear hatch for shorter MDX folks, Traction Control, (not so sure about Vehicle Stability Control given the dynamics of the VTM-4), power retractable side mirrors especially in light of how wide the X is, seperate dual chrome exhaust tips. Actually, not much to improve upon!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Leader (in LA)...

Do you have a 2001 MDX? Just curious because the sensor for the climate control on my 2002 'X is not anywhere near the windshield, it's way down on the dash, practically at knee-level.....

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Charlie -- you're partially right. The inside temp sensor is behind a small grille low on the dash, a few inches to the left of the radio. On the top of the dash is a sunlight sensor (I guess they think you need more A/C if the sun's shining (makes sense)). Behind the middle of the front bumper is an outside air temperature sensor. I can't find any info on the logic used to determine air flow speed/temperature/direction when in Full Auto mode. I just leave mine in Auto, but it still "thinks" too much.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine's a 2002

My MDX is a 2002 and the sensor up at the base of the windshield has a direct effect on how the AC works. Just shade the sensor with your hand and see what the system does. If the sensor in the lower dash is also a regulator, it's way out of balance with the upper-dash one.
It just seems that the FULL AUTO system is trying to regulate the temperature at the windshield - not where the people sit. They should fix this. Just ask Lexus...they have it all figured out.
As further proof, the FULL AUTO temperature regulation works just as it should AT NIGHT!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Mine's a 2002

Leader(in L.A.) said:
Just shade the sensor with your hand and see what the system does. ...
Maybe I'll try shading the sensor with a piece of paper and see if it works better for me. Could be an easy fix!

I still wish there was a knob instead of red and blue buttons, though, that worked when the system was off...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love Fireblade6's wish list. However, 6 speed manual transmission will be even sweeter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
37 Participants
rjmoose
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing