Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, what kinds of mileage other 2003 owners are getting, I have a '03 non-Nav, RES, touring package MDX and 80% of my driving is freeway, and I have about 5k on the clock

I'm lucky to average 18!

Is is time to head for the barn and have 'em turn a wrench on it? Or is my mileage in the ballpark?

Thanks! -Rick

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have been averaging 20.5 for the last 2 fillups:29: I normally average 18-19 mpg. What exactly are you averaging and what MPG do you expect it should be getting?

·
Registered
44 Posts
After 4 fill-ups, I'm averaging roughly 17 MPG in typical driving conditions (80/20 city/freeway). On my one interstate trip, I saw about 21.

·
Registered
277 Posts
16.7 MPG

For my 1st 1,100 miles, my trip computer and calculator are (surprisingly) both coming up with a steady 16.7 MPG for mostly flat local Florida driving, with some (20%) highway miles.

vcolangelo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2003 Mileage

My average MPG for ~4500 mostly freeway miles is 17.71 with a high of ~20 and a low of ~14. I have tried a variety of fuels from different stations.

I am curious at the responses, mostly similar to mine, in the 17-19 range. My last SUV type vehicle was a 2WD 1996 4Runner with a 3.2Litre, 190HP engine... it averaged about 22 or so.

So, as long as the rest of the '03 MDX population is in my ballpark, I guess I'm happy. Besides, it wasn't the fuel economy that I picked the car for. My last Acura, a '92 Legend is still going strong at 200k, and my father-in-laws '89 legend is nearing the 500k mileage mark.

That's what I bought the MDX for!

BTW, do you know what the "MDX" stands for? My eight year old son says "Mighty Damn eXpensive" :2:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Questions:

- what's your average speed?
- where do you live?
- what octane are you pumping?
- what's your tire pressure?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very dissapointed

One of my major reasons of buying the mdx was it's "great MPG" and after 600 miles and only getting 15.2 MPG, I am very dissappointed. All this time, I kept on telling myself, it's because it's a new car and the mpg will improve... Will it?
I've been doing half freeway and local roads. Average speed about 32 miles per hour. Live in the bay area (no hills where I live). And to think, I've been "babying" the car to break it in properly, what's going to happen after the first 1000 miles when my foot will get a lot heavier?!

Someone tell me it's a new car thing and the trip meter is not reading the stats correctly so I can feel better!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Highway mileage results

Road trip MPG results, 270 miles each way:

A to B: 22.0 @ 71 MPH average speed
B to A: 20.1 @ 77 MPH average speed

My 03 has 1500 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
499 Posts
89 Oct
80% higway
20% city

My 03 X is showing on the computer 18MPG

My 01, which I traded for the 03, same variables 16.8 MPG steady in the two years I had it.:1:

·
Registered
267 Posts
91 octane

At 1400 miles on my new touring '03, with mixed city and freeway, I'm at exactly 18mpg

With comparable road mix on my '01 Premium, I was looking at 20.2-21 average.

We'll see....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
23 highway miles?!

I think Acura is misleading it's buyers saying you can average 23 highway miles. What in the world do you have to do get mileage like that? Never have the RPM above 1500?!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I tend to get 21 to 24 on trips, with the trip computer reading about 1 mpg higher than reality. My all-time low mpg was 18. It's all in how and where you drive, in my opinion. With every car I've owned, I get about the same mileage relative to the EPA mileage (hwy. or a little better on the hwy, and generally never less than the city rating). My "trips" are at at least the posted speed, which is usually 70. I do know, just from watching the trip computer, that the MDX is very sensitive to faster speeds, probably due to wind resistance, more than most cars I've owned. At a constant 55, it appears to be getting almost 30, but at 75, it's more like 22. Wind also has a major effect. Even rain cuts mpg (the energy to throw all that water into the air comes out of your gas tank). Cold weather driving also has an effect, particulary on "city" mileage, because mileage is lower as the MDX warms up (pretty bad for the first mile or so). Constantly speeding up and slowing down on the highway will also cut mileage, which is why some people get better mpg with the cruise control. (With previous cars, I could beat cruise control mileage, although I haven't experimented with the MDX).

My tire pressure is around 32. 2002 model.

For the people complaining about low mpg compared to the EPA sticker, how did your mileage with other cars compare to this sticker for the same driving? (Also, Honda doesn't just make up the numbers. There are specific government mandated test sequences and calculations involved, with EPA fines possible if they cheat).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Milage

I am getting about 16.8 mpg mostly city traffic. Cold and snow here however.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am averaging about 18 in combination 70/30 highway/city. I recently made a 280 mile trip in heavy traffic with speeds between 60-80 and got 21.2. I am very happy with the mileage so far.

Earl

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought it was just me. I am getting around 12-13 mpg city. I do 90% of my driving in city conditions, averaging between 30-50 mph. I would love to get anything close to the 17 that I thought I was supposed to get. I thought because of the winter and the weather being cold and also the break-in period, that the mileage would be a little lower. I'm bringing the car in for another issue and will ask the dealer about it. Can there be anything done? What would be the mechanical problem for low mileage?

·
Registered
64 Posts
90% City 30-50 mph only 15.8 so far in first ~2000 miles... I did expect more than THAT :8:

I just don't know how you guys manage >17 mph :confused:

·
Registered
229 Posts
2002 with 6K miles. Mostly suburban miles driving to stores, preschool and errands. Have averaged 18 mpg since I got the 'X last summer. Have gotten up to 22 mpg on longer highway trips at 70 mph average.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ditto - 2002 with about 2500 miles but have gotten 20 to 22 mpg (according to the computer) with a mix of highway and suburban driving (not too much stop and go traffic around at 4 a.m.:D )

Tend to be a little heavy footed from a stop but that mpg graphic has helped slow me down a bit (thankfully I don't have a mpg readout in the SLK = VERY heavy foot at times but lil red still gets better than 24 mpg):4:

·
Registered
1 Posts
With less than 1000 miles during the break-in period, this is what I've got:

827 total miles
44.1 gallons used

Breaking it down further:
600 miles highway (approx.); trip computer registers 20.0 mpg
200+ miles city/around town; trip computer registers 14.5 mpg

We use Chevron Supreme (91 octane) exclusively and tire pressures are 32 psi for the Michelin SUVs (as recommended).

The road conditions have been typical for the Pacific Northwest in the winter (i.e. wet, some snow/ice at pass levels).

Overall I'm reasonably happy with it, although I'm hoping for better numbers as the year moves on.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts