Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Premium Edition MDX for sale. It is Sage Brush Pearl. The car is 3 weeks old and has 800 miles on it.

It also has the following accesories: Chrome side steps, Body side moulding, Wood meter trip, Burlwood shift knob, All season mats and wheel locks.

Please contact me for further information at [email protected]

The car is in the northern suburbs of Chicago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am selling after owning it for 3 weeks due to the fact that my wife will be staying home and not working to take care of our kids.

I would be looking to get $37,500

·
Registered
292 Posts
How come people always ask "why are you selling it?" I'm not criticizing, because I always ask that question too. Obviously, we want to know if the reason for selling is because "the car has been a lemon," or "it will never be the same after that wreck," but how many sellers would admit that and therefore lose all chance of selling? There are lots of legitimate reasons for selling, like the one the seller in this thread has, of course. I guess one suggestion I would have for buyers of a used car is to try to find out from the seller who their servicing dealer is, and see if they will give you permission to contact that service department about the car's records. (You really wouldn't need that permission, but the owner's willingness to cooperate, or not, may tell you a lot). Also, you can try to contact the seller's insurance company to ask about accident claims. I'm not sure how cooperative an insurance company would be - maybe they WOULD require permission of some sort for this.

Good luck to the seller above in selling the '03! While it's generally accepted that you take a beating when selling an almost new car, at least you chose a vehicle with one of the lowest rates of depreciation out there.

If there are any dealers in your area that will sell your MDX for you on consignment, that might be a good option. If an Acura dealer would do it, that would be even better, because that's where people will be looking for new MDXs and seeing a used one there for less money will be tempting.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Steveg said:
I have a 2003 Premium Edition MDX for sale. It is Sage Brush Pearl. The car is 3 weeks old and has 800 miles on it.

It also has the following accesories: Chrome side steps, Body side moulding, Wood meter trip, Burlwood shift knob, All season mats and wheel locks.

Please contact me for further information at [email protected]

The car is in the northern suburbs of Chicago.
I assume that the Premium Edition equals a base model? I priced out the same model brand new on the Acura website with all the options and came up with $37,464.70. I would think that someone would rather go buy an MDX brand new instead of paying the same for what is equal to a "used" MDX. You may want to consider knocking off the price of the accessories from your price to make it more attractive to potential buyers, just a thought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all the accessories equate to approx $1700. The problem with your logic is that the dealer does charge to install the items also, such as the side steps.

Secondly, any potential buyer could save a tremendous amount of money on sale tax depending on the state. In Illinois, a buyer of this vehicle from a private party would only pay $1500 in sales tax vs $2900 at a dealer

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
But it is still used

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'm sure if you advertise it on other sites (e-bay, cars.com etc.) you will get what you're asking. 800 miles is not too much anyway. Good luck! try these guys out too even if they are out of your state, they may have some good contacts for you: http://www.westernfleet.net

·
Registered
818 Posts
Steveg said:
First of all the accessories equate to approx $1700. The problem with your logic is that the dealer does charge to install the items also, such as the side steps.

Secondly, any potential buyer could save a tremendous amount of money on sale tax depending on the state. In Illinois, a buyer of this vehicle from a private party would only pay $1500 in sales tax vs $2900 at a dealer
My logic says that you will have a hard time selling it for anything over $36,000 IMHO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your opinion. I guess that the real purpose of thesechat forums is to express one mans opinion. Anyone is this area would realize that this could be a tremendous bargain versus a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
STEVE G: Chicago or 'Burbs???

If you are the 'Burbs, it doesn't seem to me like you'll have much trouble getting VERY CLOSE to what you want.

Heck, if I was in your situation I'd make-up a couple of nice looking desktop published "ads" and stick 'em in the grocery stores (probably the Whole Foods, if they'll let you...) in Hinsdale, Naperville, Wheaton, Deerfield, Buffalo Grove, Orland Park & Libertyville -- concentrate on towns with Acura dealers & a high concentration of MDX owners and wannabe owners...

In the City, if you just park in the lot of Costco for a few hours on a weekend with nice "FOR SALE" signs in the windows you'll probably have a buyer by Monday night....

GO to the buyers, judging by the speed with which the dealers clear out their lots , there are PLENTY of buyers!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Why not ask this question?

Dale MDX said:
How come people always ask "why are you selling it?" I'm not criticizing, because I always ask that question too. Obviously, we want to know if the reason for selling is because "the car has been a lemon," or "it will never be the same after that wreck," but how many sellers would admit that and therefore lose all chance of selling? There are lots of legitimate reasons for selling, like the one the seller in this thread has, of course. I guess one suggestion I would have for buyers of a used car is to try to find out from the seller who their servicing dealer is, and see if they will give you permission to contact that service department about the car's records. (You really wouldn't need that permission, but the owner's willingness to cooperate, or not, may tell you a lot). Also, you can try to contact the seller's insurance company to ask about accident claims. I'm not sure how cooperative an insurance company would be - maybe they WOULD require permission of some sort for this.

Good luck to the seller above in selling the '03! While it's generally accepted that you take a beating when selling an almost new car, at least you chose a vehicle with one of the lowest rates of depreciation out there.

If there are any dealers in your area that will sell your MDX for you on consignment, that might be a good option. If an Acura dealer would do it, that would be even better, because that's where people will be looking for new MDXs and seeing a used one there for less money will be tempting.
I always ask this question just to get a feel for how this seller reacts not necessarily for the answer. I also ask them if it has been in an accident, is it a lemon, etc. This way I can get an idea of how honest a person is and whether I want to do business with them. So I say, "ask away" it can't hurt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sold!

Thanks to everyone for their input. This website is an excellent resource for MDX owners.

BTW, I got $36,900 for my car, which I thought was a fair price. Thats invoice plus the options at 50% off

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
wow.. 3 days........ that is quick...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Sold!

Well, I am not surprised at all how quickly you sold your car. I am only surprised about the "resistance" of several people on this board questionning you about your asking price...

In fact, given the present economic situation, the Acura MDX is still very much in demand. Its quality/price ratio is certainly the best out there.

Steveg said:
Thanks to everyone for their input. This website is an excellent resource for MDX owners.

BTW, I got $36,900 for my car, which I thought was a fair price. Thats invoice plus the options at 50% off
:cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I completely agree about the value of the MDX.

With the negative sentiment, I guess its just much easier for some to take that spin as opposed to really taking the time to investigate the situation and make more educated reponses.

Here in Chicago, a premium MDX is still a rare find and I am sure the buyer is ecstatic that he was able to get any discount at all. I am also pleased that I was able to get it and not take that big of a hit.

·
Registered
818 Posts
What negative sediment, we were just giving our opinions, isn't that why we all belong to these forums????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts