Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive got my brakes all pulled apart with new pads,rotors and all greased up and ready to go.my question is what the heck is the purpose of the little rubber sleeve that's on the slide pins?only one pin has it on each assembly so also does the sleeve go to the top or bottom?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Rubber boot protects caliper pin from corrosion and seals the pin to maintain grease in place. Top and bottom caliper pins should have boots. Grease caliper pins w/ brake grease.

good luck

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I don’t think OP is asking about the boots, Texas.

I’ve seen the rubber pieces OP is inquiring about. It’s a small rubber bushing on the shaft of the pin. I believe it is to take up the tolerance between pin OD and the ID of the hole it slides in to, to reduce chatter.

I buy the caliper parts kit when I redo brakes and it includes new rubber bits, so I replace them all.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys,i wondered what the heck they were for and if the previous owner had put them back into the proper place.

next question is,how important are the little springs that go onto the front pads?the previous owner had none installed but my new pad kit came with the hardware package.looks like they are designed to separate the pads from rotor after braking.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Use them. They help keep the pads from dragging. Not the end of the world if they’re missing, but I would use them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts