Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 MDX with a blend door actuator issue. (passenger side). When using the temperature contol, when the temperature control is moved from 60 degreed to 61, the door for heat opens all the way and there is no in between to all of the way hot.
Then if you turn the temperature down, it won't go back to cold until you get to 60, when it opens the other way to all the way cold,
I have tried 2 different (used) actuators, which both did the same thing. Has anybody had a different isuue? Is it possible the temperature control itself is bad? Or is it a higher possibility the 2 used ones I tried are also bad.
A brand new one is in the $300 range, and there is also a guy on EBay that sells a remanufactured one for $80, but before I try that I thought I would see if anyone has had a different problem. I just bought this car and it was this way when I bought it. The driver side mode actuator was also bad, and I replaced it with a used one also and it solved the problem.
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
My first thought is a binding issue with the door itself. Check to make sure to door moves through the entire range freely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does it wether it's hooked up to the door or not, I have tried installing it and watching the door move as well as having the actuator out and plugged in and watching it move through its motions

·
Registered
895 Posts
Now I'm confused. How can the same thing be happening if the actuator is unplugged? You do know there are 2 blend doors on the passenger side and one temp control door on the drivers side, right?

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you think it’s the motor assembly and since you have a couple of dead ones, it might be worth rebuilding one yourself.

It’s been while but helped a buddy “rebuild” his mix motor from a 2004 X with similar issues. Opened it up and it just needed cleaning and grease. Took <30 mins.

Carefully pry the latches on the side with a trim tool or thin putty knife. You’ll have to hold it open as you work around it. Carefully open it. (Take pictures close and far in case you need a reference). (You probably can find a YouTube.). Check for worn gears or broken gears. If broken teeth, see if you can flip the gear to a good spot. Wipe the old grease and add new grease. I think I used white lithium - something that wouldn’t attack plastic. Reassemble. Reinstall. No garantee this will work in your case but might be worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I'm confused. How can the same thing be happening if the actuator is unplugged? You do know there are 2 blend doors on the passenger side and one temp control door on the drivers side, right?
No I meant it's plugged in but not actually hooked to the door, the arm is operating on it's own

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you think it’s the motor assembly and since you have a couple of dead ones, it might be worth rebuilding one yourself.

It’s been while but helped a buddy “rebuild” his mix motor from a 2004 X with similar issues. Opened it up and it just needed cleaning and grease. Took <30 mins.

Carefully pry the latches on the side with a trim tool or thin putty knife. You’ll have to hold it open as you work around it. Carefully open it. (Take pictures close and far in case you need a reference). (You probably can find a YouTube.). Check for worn gears or broken gears. If broken teeth, see if you can flip the gear to a good spot. Wipe the old grease and add new grease. I think I used white lithium - something that wouldn’t attack plastic. Reassemble. Reinstall. No garantee this will work in your case but might be worth a try.
I did see a youtube video about that, unfortunately I did take one apart and tried to fix it and I made it worse!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I have it figured out, I talked to someone who rebuilds these who informed me the actuator works off ambient air temperature and will open all the way to let heat in, then close as the temperature in the car rises. So in other words, I was trying to fix a problem that didn't exsist! So after ruining one actuator for nothing, I have it figured out. Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts