Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this posted by someone in an Edmunds forum. I can not vouch for its accuracy.

There are basically 5 models of the MDX coming for 2003...
1. Base
2. Touring
3. Touring with Entertainment System
4. Touring with Navigation
5. Touring with Navigation & Entertainment System

Pricing hasn't been released, but these are the various models showing as available for order. I don't have any details on other features changes or additions. I'll let you know when I have more details. If you have to have a Base with navigation, I'd suggest getting a September 2002 production model. Even though Dealers have placed 2002 orders with the factory already, the orders can be modified at this time.

Here's the Exterior / Interiors Avialable for 2003:
Exterior:
Taffeta White
Havasu Blue
Nighthawk Black
Redrock Pearl
Starlight Silver
Sandstone
Sage Brush
Midnight Blue

Interior:
Saddle
Quartz (Yes, you're guess was right ie. Gray)
Ebony

The only thing I don't have details on is what interior/exterior match ups will be.

The only things I am certain of for 2003 production are the following are:
1. That they are building 2003 models
2. Production begins "sometime in October"

If you have ordered a 2003 model for the first Month's allocation, you will know prior to October EXACTLY when your MDX will be built. Your salesperson should have access to this information.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
? Midnight Blue

Is this going to be a MDX exclusive color? Honda/Acura has Eternal Blue on lots of models...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The source of the info is extremely reliable. He's a sales consultant from a dealer in NC. He's been on Edmunds for years and I have only seen him release information he is sure about. If he speculates (like some other dealers are too ready to do), he is very careful to say it is speculation.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Wow, midnight blue!! Would definitely be very nice... The Navi and Entertainment options sounds great also.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A few quick reactions:

Midnight Blue! Finally - I would have waited for a 2002 if this had been available. This would make me a bit jealous as it's the color I really wanted (though I really like GG). I would love to see it as a dark blue metallic but flat would be nice also.

Sage brush could be something like GG, no? Sandstone sounds like MB.

Surprised that Acura would drop Base w/Navi as this seemed to be popular. Even more suprised that you cannot get Base with entertainment. Does that mean Navi or entertainment now a mandatory $4600+ upgrade? If so, that's too bad (and a poor decision IMHO).

Nice to see that it can be had with both Navi and entertainment.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
A2MDXer said:
A few quick reactions:
Surprised that Acura would drop Base w/Navi as this seemed to be popular. Even more suprised that you cannot get Base with entertainment. Does that mean Navi or entertainment now a mandatory $4600+ upgrade? If so, that's too bad (and a poor decision IMHO).

Nice to see that it can be had with both Navi and entertainment.
Agreed, they should still let people get base with Navi/Entertainment. But, it's a great money making tactic for them.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It can only get better as new model years come about. But I would not hold out much hope for retrofitting of entertainment options. Nice thought, esp. a rear view cam. for us old timers that don't need to entertain (anymore) our grown children.
Hopefully, besides more 'goodies' they have taken into account many things some of us 01 and 02 owner's felt needed to be changed. Even if they didn't up the HP but improved the interior materials, the stock and optional sound equipment, the crooked gearshift pattern, better headlights, and got rid of some strange noises that have known origins, they will have come a long way. And I will be convinced they are really interested in the owners opinions.
The MDX is a great advance in the world of SUVs, and I would love to see Acura continue to knock the lights out of the competition.
They will need to impress some people with 'dazzle' because not all folks are tuned in to quality and reliability, and that's why they are not driving SUVs of this caliber.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Same could be said...

MDXtrous said:
...But, it's a great money making tactic for them.
...of the MDX itself! :D

I can see some wacky pricing situations:

GUESSING

Base $37

Touring $39

Touring /w Navi $41

Touring /w RES $42

Touring /w Navi & Res $44

DIO Base /w RES $40

I'm thinking if dealers cover their lots with a swarm of four out of six models stickering over $40K there is gonna be alot less folks willing to pay those $2K "AMV" BS...

...maybe this is the factory's way of keeping dealers "in check" , with the current X5 3.0 and 4.4 having invoices of 36K & 45K respectivley Acura might be counting on over zealous MDX dealers being attacked by BMW rivals...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Along with that, competion is going to be a lot tougher this time around. Look how many vehicles now have Navigation comapared to when the first MDX came out.

Somehow, Acura is going to have to sell a nicely loaded package that will keep the ML and X5 at bay with their entry level vehicles.

BTW check this out.........

http://carpoint.msn.com/gallery/default.asp?src=Home&pos=EditLead

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
DaleB said:
Somehow, Acura is going to have to sell a nicely loaded package that will keep the ML and X5 at bay with their entry level vehicles.
[/url]
And the XC90 and the GX470...

·
Registered
147 Posts
wmquan said:
The source of the info is extremely reliable. He's a sales consultant from a dealer in NC. He's been on Edmunds for years and I have only seen him release information he is sure about. If he speculates (like some other dealers are too ready to do), he is very careful to say it is speculation.
Is he an Acura or Honda dealer? Would be great if he could post on this forum?

·
Registered
75 Posts
MDXtrous said:

And the XC90 and the GX470...
Along w/potentially another half dozen offerings coming out in the next year or two, including the new concept cars that are almost as big as the X, but look more like a sporty oversized stationwagon. And every time I read about a new one, they mention the X as one of their competitors, or the reason for their auto being the way it is, roomy interior w/third row of seats.

As far as why didn't they have these on the '01 or '02, they didn't have to. They sold them before they were made. Now with additional competition, they have to, so they are. But I look at it the same way I look at a computer purchase; they get better every year, but at some point you've still got to make the purchase and accept that next year's model will be better than the one you bought.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
crete said:

Is he an Acura or Honda dealer? Would be great if he could post on this forum?
Acura dealership in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. His name is Jamie Stockman. He was very helpful when I was shopping the MDX before its release. What I found very refreshing about him was his level-headedness and "calm demeanor" (at least electronically). Unlike some other salespeople who will let their speculation run wild and go rah-rah nuts over their brand (to ridiculous extremes), Jamie's been very careful about what he says and maintains a low profile (which is one reason he's been on Edmunds so long; they really frown on anything bordering on solicitation).

I wouldn't be shocked if Jamie's already been to this system. We might not even notice given his low-key approach.

Problem is that whenever he posts what he knows is pretty certain, people start pumping him for stuff that he either simply doesn't know and/or cannot say. You can't win in that kind of situation! We're just an impatient lot. :D

I have to say that as you go around systems, you run into some people in sales/parts who are great. Tim is one. Jamie is another, and I've never bought a vehicle from him (some folks have, and have posted big positives on him on Edmunds). I also appreciated Roger Womack's honesty -- speaking of which, we miss Roger (he went to his company's Mitsubishi dealership)!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if these colors are accurate. I've often thought the X would look great in a dark metallic blue. I'm guessing that sage brush is a lighter GG and if Sandstone is a softer mesa beige (I like gold colored cars, if the gold is soft vs 24k.

Gray interior!?!? Now I'm in envy . . . I wanted gray from the start!:D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MrPrescott said:
I wouldn't be surprised if these colors are accurate. I've often thought the X would look great in a dark metallic blue. I'm guessing that sage brush is a lighter GG and if Sandstone is a softer mesa beige (I like gold colored cars, if the gold is soft vs 24k.
I think you are right on Sandstone although from the Pilot website, sagebrush appears to be a bit darker than GG - almost like a charcoal (at least on my screen). And yes, a dark metallic blue would really round out the lineup nicely. Hmm...maybe I need two of these things....:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mr. Prescott, I concur on the metallic blue. Toyota has a nice metallic blue on the Highlander and I wondered if Acura was going to make the addition. Glad to hear that Acura is doing this...

·
Registered
570 Posts
I hope they keep coming up w/ improvements & better colors! In another year or so, I'll give my MBM to my wife & I can get a new one :4: Lets see.........Midnight Blue, Quartz interior, Navi, maybe better wheels & tires (financed). It's sounding great :7:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Man oh man. If they offer the Gray interior with the Silver Exterior that would knock out one of the major complaints my Wife had (she doesn't want a black interior). Having the option of Navi plus DVD Entertainment is also very nice. It doesn't sound like they upped the Horse Power any, but that doesn't mean they won't... It sounds like this report was mostly with regard to available colors and options. Didn't say much about improvments or fixes. I'm betting they addressed at least some of the major concerns. They may have added a better sound system now that they have DVD... Most of the reviews I've read complained about the Bose system so you can bet Acura is aware of that. Based on what Honda did with the CRV I would think Honda would be just as willing to stay competitive with this vehicle. Especially as others have noted, with alot of new competition coming out this year. The time is getting near to where we should be able to know the whole story. I am definitely still in the market for one of these. :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
bareyb said:
It doesn't sound like they upped the Horse Power any, but that doesn't mean they won't...
One person on one of the other threads who put a deposit down mentioned one of the dealers told him, the horsepower has gone up from 240 to 260...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've got a '03 on order, it was supposed to be a Mesa with the Touring Pack. and Nav. Wonder what the closest new color will be? Also heard the Acura was going to use the 3.8 L for '03, can anyone confirm that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts