Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that I have my 01 Granite Green for sale, and that I ordered a 2003 Ford Expedition (highest trim/option level called "Eddie Bauer"). Got the new one this weekend. I thought some of you may be interested in a few features -- along the lines of the '02 Wish List thread. Of course, these are two very different trucks, and I am not going to try to compare or contrast the technology (no VTEC and less sophisticated AWD system) etc. Just some features you may be interested in:
(1) Both side view mirrors tilt in reverse (selectable), but not as far as the passenger mirror on the X.
(2) Backup warning beeper -- very nice. Also, as you get close to bumping into things, it turns down the stereo volume so you can hear the backup warning.
(3) Systems Check. Press a button and it runs through all major safety and fluid systems and indicates "ok" or not.
(4) Doors lock after you start driving.
(5) Autolock (selectable). If you take the key out, open the door and then shut it, after a certain amount of time the doors will lock, setting the alarm. Once it does that, the doors cannot be unlocked except with the key or remote. So, if you left the window open, someone cannot reach inside and unlock to disable the alarm.
(6) Heated AND cooled front seats. This uses a "heat pump" in the seats that blows air through the leather perforations. It's pretty nice. You have to order this in order to get passenger side electric seat adjustment. Would like to have a visual reminder on the panel, though, that the heat/cool switch is on or off.
(7) Climate control. If you swtich to manual you can adjust fan in both directions, so you don't have to cycle through all speeds like in the X. Same with Mode -- you can choose where the air goes without cycling through. Also, you can select temperature and fan speed from the steering wheel.
(8) Rear stereo. Kids can listen to the in-dash CD on headphones while you listen to the radio, or vice versa.
(9) Pedals. Height adjustable, and links to memory settings. But, the seat back is manual, and not part of memory adjustment.
(10). Lights. You can set them to come on automatically when it gets dark, and to stay on a set time after you shut off the ignition. I like this feature a lot.
(11). Center console. VERY HUGE, which is nice, but does not have a power point inside like the X. Also, would be nice to have a top tray/compartment like in the X.
(12) Cupholders. Bigger, no silly cover. Can adjust by adding or removing a rubber insert.
(13) Radio/stereo. Has what they call "audiophile" system, with 6 cd in dash. To me, it sounds pretty good, and better than the X's Bose system. Has switch called "DSP" that selects effects, like "concet hall," "jass club" etc, which is a little hokey, but fun. Also can receive "text" from radio stations, but I'm not sure what this is.
(14) Vehicle Skid Control. They call is "advance trac" -- an option that I ordered. You can switch it off for certain types of off road driving. And it automatally goes off in 4WD low. Not sure why.
(15) Side curtain air bags for first and second row of seats. The amount of time it stays inflated is based upon the type of roll you get into -- hope I never have to find out.
(16) Panic stop. If the truck senses based on the speed with which you are pressing the brake pedal that it is a panic stop, and if you are not fully utilizing the brake's abilities, it will apply full braking force. A similar thing (maybe part of the "advance trac" feature: If you are steering straight, but truck is sliding, as on ice, it will operate the brakes as needed to straighten you out. And vice versa.
(17) Keyless entry number pad on driver's door.
(18) Electric control to raise or lower third row seats. Seems silly, but these are big seats. They fold flat as in the X.
(19) Full size spare.
(20) Smart shifting. It learns your driving style and adjusts how/when the transmission shfts into various gears based on that. I read this in the owners manual. Not sure how it plays out in practice.
(21) I did not order the navi system. It is CD based and from what I learned on this board, I am sure it is inferior to the system in the X.
(22) Moonroof. The moonroof is an option I did not order, because I did not want to lose headroom or the overhead console. However, the moonroof has one-touch control for opening.
(23) Rear seat entertainment system. Again, an option I did not order, but you can get an overhead DVD system. The DVD drive itself is built into the overhead, also giving the rear passengers another source for playing audi CD. Integrates into vehicle sound sytem. Probably should have ordered this (about $1,000) but by the time I decided to do so, my truck was ready for production, and I didn't want to get to the back of the line.
(24) Button on remote key fob to unlock the window on the rear hatch. Handy.
(25) Side view mirrors. Have a downard facing light that comes on when you press unlock on the remote. And they also have a turn signal flasher. These are in the housing, not in the mirror itself as in the earlier models. The side views are huge. Would be nice if they electrically folded in. The Lincoln version of this truck has that.
(26) Seats. Will let you know on the comfort issue. There is plenty of leg room. No dead pedel though. Second row captain seats is an option, but I could not see giving up a seat. The second row is split 40,40,20, so you can get into the third row from either side. The middle seat (the 20) slides forward so you can reach a baby or toddler more easily from the front seatss.

Well, I don't think very many MDX people will be interested in a vehcile like the Expedition. It is a very large truck and gets terrible gas mileage. But the above feature comparison may spark some discussion. Wish I could find a board like this for my Ford. There are several Ford boards but they do not have the kind of smart, interesting and dedicated discussions you can find here.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Cogratulations

Congratulations on the new Exp! American cars still do a better job in providing features that drivers here really care about -- simple, effective, double big gulp handling cup holders with no silly springs, levers, or covers, and that seat cooling option sounds AWESOME!!!

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Sounds very nice, I hope it serves you well.
Just a few observations.

1 &2 : Very logical application of design.
Acura should have the same.
3: most electronics do this anyway, but providing status to the driver is confidence inspriring.
4: eh...personal choice..they always did that on most domestics
5: Nice added security feature.
6: Oh yeah!! damn that would feel good on real hot day...
:D

7: Common sense well applied here.
8: That's cool!
9: I like the seat back not being part of the memory. sometimes you want to change it back and forth on a long drive
and not have to reset the memory each time.
10: I miss the twilight feature of my old Taurus (about all I miss of it...)
13: The Ford premium in our '96 Villager was superior sounding to the Bose.
17: I always kind of liked the keyless entry, but always bought upgraded alarms systems that bypassed it.
20 : Adaptive electronics is not new. I think it's universal in most mid to high priced vehicles. Maybe in econo boxes now.
25: Lincoln also has sliding running boards. Now you see it, now you don't!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warranty & Pricing

FYI.

Ford only backs its products with 3yr/36k warranty (Lincoln adds 12mo/12k to that). I purchased a bumper to bumper 4yr 100k warranty from Ford. Shopped it around to a number of Ford dealers on the internet, resulting in about a 1/3 price reduction from my own dealer. Day after I cemented that deal, another dealer offered me another $150 off, but I stuck with my dealer.

Also, paid "invoice" plus $100 for the truck. "No forced options."

·
Registered
144 Posts
I looked at the expedition and I was going to get one, but it did not have the options you listed. The MDX seemed like a better value for the money.. Again, I was looking at the older model and was not impressed. I guess when it is time for my next vehicle I will be looking at the expedition. THe main thing I like was the power folding rear seats and the seat coolers.... Don't need heated seat in so. florida...

BTW, what did it run you? Assuming you bought instead of leased..

Thanks,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Expedition list

Go to www.Xpedition.net and sign up for the e-mail list. It's not forum based like this, but you either get one digest e-mail a day or you can elect to get every e-mail as they come in (which I prefer). There is also a great archive section on the site.

It's a great group of super knowledgable and friendly folks, more than a few already have their '03s, too. I've been a member since 97 when I was waiting for my EB to hurry up and get built! Like this site, it gets addicting...

And yes, like you said, these two vehicles are very hard to cross-shop. We just got back from a major camping trip last night, and there is NO way that all of our crap would have fix in an MDX. Sigh. I really like them, but it's just not going to fit for us and we can't afford to give up that much tow capacity.

I will be jealous from afar! Still don't know what I want to end up with since Ford limited their interior EB color to one I can't live with....

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Being a fairly new Acura owner, I don't know what kind of adventures await me when I bring it in for service.
I do know that when we used to bring our Villager into Sunnyvale Lincoln Mercury we were always well treated, and the service was prompt.
The mechanics always fixed things the first time.
Did not have THAT many car problems, lots of picky stuff like body hardware that was chintzy, drive train was built by Nissan probably an advantage.
But dealership was always on top of things.
On a 96' Villager we only got a Town Car to use one time for a factory recall. But the rest of time got a decent car to rent for only $15 a day. Usually only needed it one day. Or we would use their courtesy van.
I hope I can get that kind of service from Acura. (Without paying for a rental!!) There is no reason I should not.
You can get great deals on extended Ford warranties, relatively cheap compared to most imports.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dale, we used to have a 1993 Villager .... had very few problems. Replaced it in 2001 with a Toyota Sienna. FYI, my Acura dealer always supplied a loaner.

I thought of another item that both the MDX and the EXPY do equally poorly: No dead pedal. On the other hand, much more room in the Expy to move your feed around.

DF: Thanks for info!

Anyone interested in the EXPY there is a good $10 or $15k range in price depending on which of the 4 models you order, 2wd or 4wd and 4.6 or 5.4L engine.

My wife and teen daughter are not happy with my decision. They find the MDX to be more "classy" and more "practical." Actually, I agree with them on both points, but neither are that important to me!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Well, I haven't gone yet, because I still have my MDX. Even after its gets sold, I may be back, because people on this site know so much about cars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dale, I come in peace!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The ONLY REASON

The ONLY reason why I did not consider an expedition in 2001 and for 2003 is MPG. If gas is cheaper around where I live. I buy it in a HEART BEAT. But since gas, insurance is a required on going necessity....I think the cost on it long term is far more costly than it is short term to get the Expedition.

I have to admit 2003 Expedition is ONE HELL of a machine. You damn FORD guys you...its about time you fired those old engineers and bring in the young ones that are into adventures and craftsmanship. Way to go.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it does use Regular, which helps some. I expect to average around 13 mpg while in the MDX I generall average about 20. Taking into account the price per gallon differential, I will definitely still be spending more. And it hurts more to pay for 30 gallons at a time! I never claimed to have made a practical decision!

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks for the review...

I'm getting my MDX in a few weeks and I already miss the convenience of my old Explorer's keypad. I could just lock my keys in the car anytime I went windsurfing or snowboarding or mountain biking. Now the rmote is one more thing I have to carry...

Great to hear that Ford has such innovative ideas. If they just built an SUV with a car based platform and a decent engine, with all the features you've described, I'd probably still be driving one!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't used the keypad yet, because I didn't want to have to memorize another code number, but you make a great point.

FYI, for those who wonder, I am fairly happy with the seat comfort so far in the Expedition, which was one of my biggest issues with the MDX. (Highly recommend the air conditioned seat, but wonder if leather cleaning products will clog the perforations through which the air flows.)

Have bought my first tank of gas, and averaged about 13 mpg. I got right on the highway for 25 miles after filling up, and noticed that I got 17.8 MPG, which is an amazing number for this truck, but dirving 10 miles or so through the city dropped it down to 14.

·
Registered
699 Posts
waitforMDX writes
(Highly recommend the air conditioned seat, but wonder if leather cleaning products will clog the perforations through which the air flows.)
Air conditioned seat sounds great! Wish my 'X had that. I've seriously thought about wrapping some ice in a ziplock and towel to get a little more comfort. :eek:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The Honda concept SUV...

jonnygoodboy said:
waitforMDX writes
Air conditioned seat sounds great! Wish my 'X had that. I've seriously thought about wrapping some ice in a ziplock and towel to get a little more comfort. :eek:

may have had those "Aeron" style seats. You know the "mesh under tension" thingys. Wouldn't need any A/C with those!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts