Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2003 bad mileage

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nsxtasy 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced gas mileage steadily going South?
When I purchased my 2003 MDX it got appx. 25-28 on the road,
now it gets 16. It only has 52,000 miles. The dealer tried new spark
plugs, but this didn't help at all. The timing belt has been replaced.
I like the vehicle, but can't figure this problem out. I know it should do
better.:(

#3 ·
To maximize your mileage, you need to keep up with ALL the scheduled maintenance, as well as getting the EGR valve cleaned out. Basically, this is what yardbird has done. And, of course, big variables are your usage pattern (lots of hilly/mountainous terrain, stop-and-go driving, and full loads can hurt) and your driving style (do you like to mash the accelerator, or frequently accelerate and brake more than necessary). Finally, calculate your mileage manually (rather than relying on the trip computer), and average it over at least 3-4 tankfuls of gas.

My experience with my 2004 MDX is that no matter what I ever did, I could never, ever come anywhere close to 25-28 mpg. That sounds difficult to believe, and could be the result of either relying on the trip computer or of looking at a single tankful (maybe you didn't fill it as full the second time as you did at the start). I average 14 mpg in mixed driving around town - as low as 13 mpg when it's mostly city/town streets, as high as 15 mpg when there's a lot of highway driving mixed in - and on a long trip with very few stops, I'll get as much as 19-22 mpg. That's with all the maintenance up to date, no hilly terrain, 1-2 adults in the car and not much more, and average driving style. So I wouldn't expect to get mileage significantly better than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.