Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of "off topic" but could be considered "on topic" as this problem could (possibly) happen to the MDX transmission if it is a manufacturing defect. (On a side note, I have a 2001 MDX and have not had any issues with it at all.)

My wife has a 2003 3.2 TL. About 3 weeks ago, she went to put it in Park, and the shifter would not move past Neutral. She would have to work the gears back and forth 5-10 times to get it to go past Neutral into Park. Then it might do it again or it might not do it for a day or two. The next day, I drove it, and it happened with me. We took it to the local dealership, and they replaced the "brake light switch" in the shifter mechanism. Two days later, it did it again. Again, we took it back to the dealer, and they replaced a solenoid switch in the shift mechanism after keeping it for about 5 days due to the part being backordered. Both times at this point when she delivered it to the dealer, the transmission would not go past Neutral, and they saw it happen in their garage. Then last week, it happened again. Again, we took it back to them. This time, they kept the car for about 4 days, putting over 90 miles on it trying to recreate the problem but couldn't. But they did replace the multiplex unit in the shift mechanism at this time. They called me and said "We can't recreate it but we did replace this part." I took the car home, and the next day, it did it again. For the 4th time, I have taken it and left it with them for several days to fix the same problem.

They tell me there are only 4 parts that can be doing this in the shift mechanism. The brake light switch, solenoid, and multiplex unit (all of these have been replaced), and the wiring harness (this is all they have not replaced in it). They keep telling me "Its not the transmission." But they obviously don't know. We are very frustrated with the dealership at this point, and I don't know what else to do to get this problem resolved and get satisfaction.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for reading my rambling/frustration.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
The fact that it got out of Park at all tells me that the brake light switch did not need to be replaced. That part controls the interlock solenoid that prevents you from taking it out of Park unles you are depressing the brake. You can probably hear it click just by tapping the brake pedal in Park.

If someone at your dealer actually had a brain, they would realize after a couple of minutes of hearing the symptoms where the first place to look is. I would start at the shift cable itself. There is an adjustment that can be done that sets where the shift lever actually connects to the cable. You have to get most of the center console out to access it. Or there could be an issure with the gear position switch on the side of the transmission. Or something simple as a foriegn object blocking the shift lever and/or cable.

Apparently competance as a mechanic doesn't have much bearing as to weather you have a job anymore these days...

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TheRobSJ said:
The fact that it got out of Park at all tells me that the brake light switch did not need to be replaced. That part controls the interlock solenoid that prevents you from taking it out of Park unles you are depressing the brake. You can probably hear it click just by tapping the brake pedal in Park.

If someone at your dealer actually had a brain, they would realize after a couple of minutes of hearing the symptoms where the first place to look is. I would start at the shift cable itself. There is an adjustment that can be done that sets where the shift lever actually connects to the cable. You have to get most of the center console out to access it. Or there could be an issure with the gear position switch on the side of the transmission. Or something simple as a foriegn object blocking the shift lever and/or cable.

Apparently competance as a mechanic doesn't have much bearing as to weather you have a job anymore these days...

Rob

Rob, all they have done the last 2 times I have taken the car in for this problem is stand there and say "I don't have any idea what it could be..." Even though they saw it do it twice when my wife took it in, and a technician actually recreated it at one time during all these visits.

Sorry to see you are still job hunting.

-Charles

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
If they saw it happen and they were able to duplicate the problem, that's good for you. The fact they aren't doing anything is bad for them. Call Acura Client services and lay into them. Or try another dealer.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob,

They were finally able to recreate the problem. It appears that it only happens when the car is cold in the mornings. They will recreate it again today and have a technician there ready to call the Acura "engineers".

-Charles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lemonaid

If it's an 03 with less than 12k miles, and the problem is repeatedly happening, and you are accumulating repair days at the dealer, you are likely to qualify for lemon law. Have you looked at that avenue?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It could certainly fall under the Lemon Law but that's not like saying, "Hey, Lemon Law! Give me another car."

I would imagine they could fix it less time than what it takes to get the paper work started.

Maybe temperature is a clue, let them have another shot at it. It certainly does not sound like a common problem, and they need to keep one good tech working on it and involve Acura in the troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Where's that Acura salesman who was recently touting how great Acura was with Service ... if you're out there, hope you read this thread ... new vehicle ... has the dealer contacted Techline yet or is that "too difficult for them to do"?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

Finally got the car back, I took it to them on November 19, and just got it back today, 12/3.

They told me the were able to recreate the problem only in the mornings and only if the car was driven like 5-15 minutes, not any more or it would not do it. They had many different ideas every time I called them, from a bad circuit somewhere, to a loose ground wire, to a short in the ABS system.

I called the dealer on the Wed. before Thanksgiving, and told them if they couldn't fix it I either wanted to give it back, or get a replacement. It just so happened that the "area rep" had been in town the day before and they told him about it. He took pictures, etc, got all the info, and told them to do a few things. He would be back on 12/5 to see if it was fixed. He also told them to give us one free accessory on the car that we wanted (spoiler, mud flaps, etc.). I told him to hold off on the spoiler until we got it working or they could put it on a new one instead of this car.

I called them back yesterday to see what the status was, and all of a sudden, another TL had surfaced about 2 hours away at another dealership that was having the same exact problem. They replaced the "Shift Position indicator" on the transmission, and they think that will fix it. So I have the car now testing it to make sure it is working.

What a MESS this has been.

-Charles

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Please keep us posted ..... hmmmmm

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hi BigMac,

Actually, I do think it is a transmission problem. In fact, there is a whole thread about it on www.carreview.com. Here is a URL to it:
http://www.carreview.com/Luxury+Cars/Acura+3.2TL/PRD_169_1529crx.aspx

As you can see on that site, many other people have experienced same problem with 02-03 TL and TL-S. In fact, my Acura dealer told me that they have heard about that problem and they mentioned that Acura has extended the warranty for transmission to 7 years / 100K miles.

IMHO, the dealer should just change the tranny.

Good luck with TL-S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts