Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a couple thread here that contain pictures of people removing their transmissions,but darned if I can find them.am planning on attempting a rebuild on my spare mdx,ive got lots of time and room to do it but no hoist.so ive got to do it on the floor.can it be removed from the top or do I gotta drop it with the subframe?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my understanding (and I've had 3 different trannys put into my 04 - but that's a whole 'nuther story!)... you need to drop the subframe.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Drop out the bottom. It can be pulled out the top, but radiator support has to be bent after exhaust manifold removed

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you have a lift, it's easier to remove it from under.

You also need some equipment to make the job easier:

1. Engine hanger. There is a special one for MDX. Or you can make your own. Or you can support it from under on the oil pan.
2. Transmission jack.

1 or 2 helpers is a big plus. The sub-frame, as well as the exhaust pipe, and of course the tranny itself, is very heavy. Although I was able to remove the transmission all by myself, it's not an easy task.

And, after it's removed, it's just the beginning of fun.

Let me know if you need further info or help. I rebuilt the tranny on my 03 MDX 3 years ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks richkaun,this looks like a tough job on the ground,i have no lift.i might veto this idea.if I were 20 years younger it would have been more fun.was just looking for a fun project and give me something to do after work.my luck the trans would tumble out of there and land on me.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I've never done an MDX tranny, but most FWD cars are similar. In the case of a VW Jetta, I just supported the engine with a bottle jack (or maybe it was a floor jack - I forget), and had an el cheapo Harbor Freight tranny jack to lower the tranny and scoot it around. Pretty marginal all around, but not really that tough, and I'm a legit graybeard! ;-)>

·
Registered
189 Posts
thanks richkaun,this looks like a tough job on the ground,i have no lift.i might veto this idea.if I were 20 years younger it would have been more fun.was just looking for a fun project and give me something to do after work.my luck the trans would tumble out of there and land on me.
Yeah, safety first.

Just wondering, where are you located?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok. That's a little far from me. Or I am willing to help you.

Anyways, if you need any insider info, let me know. I have many photos, steps, notes, etc. that may be useful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts