1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
420 Posts
Im not too fond of the style, but man oh man, 240 hp! If I could only put that engine in my Passat, I'd be set ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Actually, I just read at vwvortex.com that the next generation Passat due in 2004 will have a V6 worth 240 ponies.:2: Sweet!

·
Registered
3 Posts
DaleB said:

I thought Passat already had a V8, will they bump that up too?
The VW Passat W8 (The engine is in the shape of a "w", so it will fit in the standard Passat body, cranks out a beautiful 270 horses....

and she runs like a bat, if ya know what I mean. Took one for a spin when I had the wife's Passat in for recent maintenance.

Wow. I can only imagine what the 240 V6 will be like :4:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
texaspilot said:

The VW Passat W8 (The engine is in the shape of a "w", so it will fit in the standard Passat body, cranks out a beautiful 270 horses....

and she runs like a bat, if ya know what I mean. Took one for a spin when I had the wife's Passat in for recent maintenance.

Wow. I can only imagine what the 240 V6 will be like :4:
Must be a beaut!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The W8 is extremely expensive though, right? The price is outside the usual arena for an accord/passat.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi MDXtrous:

___Thanks for the link. The important thing I picked up on was the 4’s chain-driven dual-overhead camshafts. Its about time Honda recognized the error of their ways … belt driven camshafts may have an edge in quietness but even noise is not impossible to workaround. It’s both the longevity and expense of the timing belt replacement that has always made me worry about my Honda’s (I had one destroy itself on my sons Accord just last year) … and has me worried about the MDX as well. My Previa was one of the few Toyota’s that used a chain driven unit and I remember thinking back in 92 that this would pay dividends for years to come. 165,000 miles later, it has with no replacement costs and no worry of one shredding when I am half way to Arizona, California, the Carolina’s, or the Dakota’s … If only the new Corolla had the same :(

___I wouldn’t mind seeing that 3.0 in an X as an option with a larger 3.8 for the horse trailer towing folks next year either … I just wonder if American Honda is thinking along similar lines?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
xcel said:
Hi MDXtrous:

___Thanks for the link. The important thing I picked up on was the 4’s chain-driven dual-overhead camshafts...... … If only the new Corolla had the same :(

___I___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]
The new 2003 Corolla does not have a belt but is CHAIN-DRIVEN.....this is what all the reviews and literature were constantly harping about when talking of the Corolla's improvements!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Here's what would make more sense!!

DaleB said:
I could be wrong here, but somehow I think Acura is planning a larger full size SUV ( a la Sequoia) besides the MDX. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint if they want to cover all bases.
.......a slightly SMALLER MDX, as well as a larger MDX

What I mean is the MDX is already quite big. So, to really cover all bases they have to come up with a vehicle that is A BIT SMALLER THAN THE CURRENT MDX for people like me (single people and small families - husband/wife with no kids or one kid - WITHOUT THE NEED FOR ALL THAT SPACE OR THE THIRD ROW).....this SUV would ideally have the exact same luxury and features of the current MDX, including the peppy V6, but would be smaller in EXTERIOR dimensions (say 4-5 inches shorter and 3-4 inches narrower) This would result in a bit less weight and slightly improved aerodynamics resulting in improved fuel economy, without compromising spritely performance in any way.

Then for those that thrive on space - "bigger is better", "more the merrier" :D , they could make the existing MDX a bit bigger (increase length by 3-4 inches and increase width maybe an inch) and give it EVEN MORE cargo capacity and make it 8-passenger capable like the Honda Pilot with increased legroom for the 3rd row occupants

.......Now, how's that for covering all bases?? :D .......however, if they insisted on keeping the current MDX, it would be more important to add a smaller version (as this segment is totally ignored by Acura) than a larger one.......However, ideally they could have 3 sizes like Lexus (small, medium and large)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Vicpai:

___Yahooo! I asked the sales woman about this when I bought it a few weeks ago and she said it had timing belts. The "Classic" (name of the dealer) Toyota Service Schedule says on the last page to replace the Timing belts and Drive belts at 60,000 miles. I just read through the “Passport to Performance” Scheduled Maintenance Guide and the “2003 Owners Manual” and saw no mention of a timing belt. This is excellent news and saves me maybe $1500.00 over the life of this vehicle.

___Thanks again for this important piece of information. Now if only Acura would consider the same.

___As for the MDX size question, a 280 - 300 HP 3.8 L 6 w/ Tranny and Power steering coolers std. in the MDX would probably suffice for those interested in pulling a bit more but building a Sequoia type vehicle with ladder frame is a completely different matter. I don’t think Acura makes enough money for this but I am probably wrong? I would like to see the current MDX with the 3.0 L Accord engine (it already has 240 HP) and maybe a 2-wheel drive only Premium Trim option for ~ $32,000 MSRP. The savings in not supplying the VTM and all the associated HW are probably enough to make up for the lower cost. What am I thinking, with the Canadian built Touring X already $7,000.00 less than the American purchased Touring X, this is a “gimme” IMO. I would expect to see maybe 27-28/24-25 on the highway w/ that new 3.0 L - 5 speed auto in a 2-wheel/4-wheel drive configuration. That would be my own “Best in Class” automobile but of course this won’t happen.

___And 1 more item. Acura Corporate should allow those dealers that force options and charge greater than MSRP to receive a lower allotments of X’s! Now I am dreaming ;)

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Honda Motor Already Makes This Type of Vehicle for less than $32k

xcel said:
I would like to see the current MDX with the 3.0 L Accord engine (it already has 240 HP) and maybe a 2-wheel drive only Premium Trim option for ~ $32,000 MSRP.
It's called the Odyssey. :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Wmquan:

___Yeah, something like that … Except the fully loaded Leather equipped Odyssey EX’s w/ DVD RES are going for less than $30,000 now in the Chicago IL. area according to today’s Chicago Trib - Transportation section – Dealership ads. That and the Odyssey doesn’t look anything like an MDX unfortunately :(

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
619 Posts
xcel said:
I would like to see the current MDX with the 3.0 L Accord engine (it already has 240 HP) and maybe a 2-wheel drive only Premium Trim option for ~ $32,000 MSRP.
How about the Honda Pilot. Looks rugged, $32k-MSRP, and has the same drivetrain/powertrain as the 'X.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi MDXLuvr:

___If it looked as good as the MDX, than my wife would have considered it. Unfortunately, the MDX is a much better looking vehicle although I am going to end up paying for it :( I have seen a few Pilots on the road and one in the dealership and they appear to be a larger vehicle than the MDX for some reason? Boxy SUV styling maybe? My largest wish is that after seeing the interior of the 03 Accord EX, I wouldn’t mind seeing a similar dash assembly, engine, and seats placed in an X! And don’t forget the one touch up driver’s window, rear windows that roll all the way down, body color rear air deflector, splash guards, and BSM’s. What I wouldn’t do for an SUV as large as the MDX/Pilot that could get 26-28 mpg on the highway! Maybe Acura will surprise us with the 03 in terms of the accessories anyway … they will probably charge a premium on top of the vehicle that is already over priced in comparison :( It’s the $40,000 price of entry that will force me into a Pilot or similar so it depends on how greedy Acura decides to get on the 03?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts