Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
BaldEagle said:
Hi tigmd99:

I was wondering why you spent so much time on the Acura site not being an MDX owner and being generally negative about the MDX? Then I checked out the toyota-4Runner.org site listed with your signature and I think I now understand why you spend time here.

You must be lonely? On that site you have over 1076 posts out of 2620 total posts for the forum. That's over 40% of all the posts by you. Many threads have only your posts.

I also noticed that toyota-4Runner.org is a new site started by you and Gatorgreg in Nov 2002. Good luck with your new forum.
:19: :21:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Bald, you should hear what Gatorgreg has to say about his new Leuxs LX470!:D

Thanks for caring about my forum. It's doing well.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Just clicked on Tigs link......Good luck with that site. Looks like tig(aka thai) is the only person that uses that site. Definately a "cut & paste" expert.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
tigmd99 said:
mdxxx, where have you been?

Do a search! Geez! Hello! Check out the NHTSA site! If this is a true anomaly, then Acura wouldn't have a protocol for fixing the problem...and NHTSA would not have it on their website. Just like the engine oil leaks...now, is that a problem or an anomaly?

I will end here....
OK, I see... in other words, you have no empirical evidence, or schematics, or diagrams indicating any contrast and comparison. You have no facts to back up a general, unspecific prediction. You could have just said that you were making an uninformed guess, based on a specious assumption, and I would have understood. I don't blame you, I'd want to 'end here' myself If I were in your shoes...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
Just clicked on Tigs link......Good luck with that site. Looks like tig(aka thai) is the only person that uses that site. Definately a "cut & paste" expert.
The funny thing is that one of his most recent cut-n-pastes included Acura's NHTSA reponse indicating that there were *8* failed MDX transmissions as of last fall. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mdxxxx said:

OK, I see... in other words, you have no imperical evidence, or schematics, or diagrams indicating any contrast and comparison. You could have just said that you were making an uninformed guess, and I would have understood. I don't blame you, I'd want to 'end here' myself If I were in your shoes...:rolleyes:

Data, shmata, what's facts got to do with anything? :bonk: :jester:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I think there are good critics too...

And tig seems to be one of 'em. I mean it's one thing to have complete "bomb & fly" troll/flame bait. For the most part tig acknowledges that the 4Runner & GX470 are pretty hard core vehicles with a totally different focus than the MDX. The marketplace reflects that too -- there is a lot smaller potentiail pool of buyers for the hard core SUVs than for the "multi dimension" functionality of the Acura.

The MDX is not perfect and if takes a critic to remind of us (and Honda/Acura & the dealers & other potential buyers) that is NOT a bad thing. Tig can help keep troublespots on everybodies' "radar". If/when things start to happen at a more accelerated rate/in larger numbers tig can either say "told ya so" or be the canary in the coal mine (though I honestly hope thhe 'fumes' don't kill anybody ;) :D )

·
Registered
129 Posts
Weakest link! The tranny on the MDX is crap. I had plenty of problems with it (overheating with towing package even when not towing). For the love of God Why would they match a 260 HP engine with a transmission that can only tow 4500 MAX pounds if a boat or 3500 for a regular trailer, the engine is not the limiting factor but the transmission instead. What a waste of power! Most vehicles with that kind of HP can tow twice as much, Design Flaw indeed. (on my humble opinion).

·
Registered
550 Posts
It's funny how my 4runner forum is suddenly the main topic of this thread!:p It just proves one thing...i have touch a very sensitive topic! :eek:

Hint: insulting my forum is not gonna make your transmission any more reliable! :D

BTW, I have not heard of any engine oil leaking thru block nor automatic transmission failure yet on 1996-2003 4runners.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
tigmd99 said:
It's funny how my 4runner forum is suddenly the main topic of this thread!:p It just proves one thing...i have touch a very sensitive topic! :eek:

Hint: insulting my forum is not gonna make your transmission any more reliable! :D
Hmm, tigmd99.... I thought you were going to 'end it'...

tigmd99 said:
...I will end here....
Do you really believe what you type? :confused: Or better yet, should WE believe anything you type...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2002 MDX (40k miles) has just gone into the dealership for transmission problem that has been brewing for several weeks now. The dealer tried replacing the sensors but to no avial. The transmission will now be replaced. I previously purchased new (in 1986) a 1987 Acura Legend that I replaced the transmisson at about 100k miles. I learned to change the fluid often after the original replacement. When I donated the vehicle about 3 years ago it had over 300k miles and the transmission was in need of replacement. As a result of my experience with Honda transmissions, I pay attention to the sounds and actions. In fact, I could tell a few months ago that it was going south based upon the slight shift flutter between 2nd and 3rd. I had heard that before in the 1987. Unsuspecting drivers may not notice until too late (after warranty). Pay attention to the transmissions. Otherwise, a great vehicle.:)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
tom54tay said:
...) a 1987 Acura Legend that I replaced the transmisson at about 100k miles. ...it had over 300k miles and the transmission was in need of replacement... Otherwise, a great vehicle.:)
Otherwise? Sounds like you got 100,000 miles on the first Acura transmission, and 200,000 on the second. That ain't bad in my book.

Look on the bright side- even 40,000 miles on the MDX is lucky- you get a new tranny just before the warranty runs out.

A tranny that died at 50,010 miles would be very bad. That would frost your cake.

·
Registered
679 Posts
tigmd99 said:
Bald, you should hear what Gatorgreg has to say about his new Leuxs LX470!:D

Thanks for caring about my forum. It's doing well.
Oh crap Thai, thanks for dragging my name into this! :D You guys can make fun of www.Toyota-4Runner.org now, but I think it has good potential. Yes, Thai is its most prolific poster :p but its got over 200 members now and it's going up exponentially (by about 50 new members over the last 30 days compared to about 20 the previous 30 days). I'm guessing it will have between 500 and 1,000 members by its one year anniversary if all goes well. The forum is modeled of course after AcuraMDX.org (thanks again to Daniel for helping me get it set up :) )

As for the subject matter of this thread, I hope none of you guys get this problem. It appears to be very rare and I'm guessing it will stay that way.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
GatorGreg said:

Oh crap Thai, thanks for dragging my name into this! :D You guys can make fun of www.Toyota-4Runner.org now, but I think it has good potential. Yes, Thai is its most prolific poster :p but its got over 200 members now and it's going up exponentially (by about 50 new members over the last 30 days compared to about 20 the previous 30 days). I'm guessing it will have between 500 and 1,000 members by its one year anniversary if all goes well. The forum is modeled of course after AcuraMDX.org (thanks again to Daniel for helping me get it set up :) )

As for the subject matter of this thread, I hope none of you guys get this problem. It appears to be very rare and I'm guessing it will stay that way.
We may kid you, but would never knock it. The 4 Runner is a nice vehicle and you know most of us would not go to the site as trolls.
It's not our style:4:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts