Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was following behind me in our 2002 Touring nav when it started bucking here like a horse several times, suddenly downshifting for no apparent reason. We took it into the dealership and thankfully the vehicle did the same thing while on a test drive despite apparently not having having an error code.

The dealer ship says they can't tell what is wrong with the transmission but are going to replace it with a new one when it arrives next week.

Has anyone heard of anything similar happening to anyone else?

Does anyone else think it is strange that the dealership isn't trying to diagnose what the problem is with the transmission?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I;ve never been overly impressed by Honda tranny's, but never heard of one going out after 15k:eek:

Did you do any towing with your X? Did you ever tow it behind an RV? What might have caused this?!?!?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No we never towed anything around but our own rear ends.

m2pc,

You nailed it exactly! The way she described it was like it suddenly downshifted from 5 to 2nd as is mentioned in the thread you referenced. Worst part of the thing was my wife had our 18 month in the car and she was horrified to see his head snap forward in his car-seat.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The dealer really isn't even allowed to diagnose the transmission problem, as strange as that sounds. All they are allowed to do, by Honda, is to replace the complete unit after determining there is a defect. Supposedly, if they tear apart the old transmission in any way, Honda won't reimburse the dealer for the equivalent of the core charge. (Plus, Honda won't pay the dealer for the time required to do the work). Given that, assuming the dealer is completely sure the unit is internally defective, it would just be a waste of their time and money to try to diagnose it. Honda takes the defective transmissions and has some central facility (maybe not even Honda-owned) repair them, then they go back out to be put into somebody else's car under warranty.

I don't know all of the above for a fact, but it's what has been reported in previous transmission posts.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Dale MDX said:
The dealer really isn't even allowed to diagnose the transmission problem, as strange as that sounds. All they are allowed to do, by Honda, is to replace the complete unit after determining there is a defect. Supposedly, if they tear apart the old transmission in any way, Honda won't reimburse the dealer for the equivalent of the core charge. (Plus, Honda won't pay the dealer for the time required to do the work). Given that, assuming the dealer is completely sure the unit is internally defective, it would just be a waste of their time and money to try to diagnose it. Honda takes the defective transmissions and has some central facility (maybe not even Honda-owned) repair them, then they go back out to be put into somebody else's car under warranty.

I don't know all of the above for a fact, but it's what has been reported in previous transmission posts.
My understanding thats quite common for most makes. Ford was the same way. Describe the problem to the factory, they will either say try this or that (simple procedures) or R&R.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked the dealer if they are putting in a new or rebuilt transmission. He was adamant that it was a new one. How reliable is the information that they use rebuilt ones? Are there really that many transmissions that fail while under warranty?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
DaleMDX's and DaleB's accounts of the "dealer doesn't teardown" are accurate; I've seen it in an Acura memo on transmissions. The only exception would be if it throws a code and techline tells them to replace something, usually a solenoid. Otherwise, the whole thing gets pulled and sent back to the factory for teardown. I imagine it takes less time to R&R the tranny as a whole than to poke around and guess at fixes.

According to an NHTSA investigation (TL/CL trannies) and response by Honda/Acura, the number of failed MDX trannies was VERY small. I think they said *8* '02s as of last fall. A link to that 1000+ page report was posted yesterday (can't remember by whom, unfortunately, but I moved the thread to the tranny forum). Tim reported similarly low figures for 01/02 in an earlier tranny firedrill thread (I think the number was 12).

You're only "entitled" to a remanned tranny, lousy as that may seem. However, if there aren't enough of them out there, you'll get a new one. No way to tell for sure, really.

Good luck and glad the wife and kid are OK.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
m2pc provided the link to the NHTSA report a couple of posts above...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
rspitz said:
My wife was following behind me in our 2002 Touring nav when it started bucking here like a horse several times, suddenly downshifting for no apparent reason. We took it into the dealership and thankfully the vehicle did the same thing while on a test drive despite apparently not having having an error code.

The dealer ship says they can't tell what is wrong with the transmission but are going to replace it with a new one when it arrives next week.

Has anyone heard of anything similar happening to anyone else?

Does anyone else think it is strange that the dealership isn't trying to diagnose what the problem is with the transmission?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Very discouraging but the symptoms are quite typical for most transmissions that fail during operation, they simply lose the ability to 'drive'.
I think most on here have become used to the idea it could happen, it should not happen, but it's not the end of the world. Rather just have it replaced and get it back sooner than have them fiddle with it in the shop. No reason to believe the replacement has to be any worse.
2002 failures are not that unusual and are probably falling in line with failures on 2001s. A few 2003s have already failed, maybe for different reasons, I don't know. It's mostly conjecture anyway.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Now, let me see, how many of you guys argued and cursed at me when i said that the MDX tranny is no different from an Odyssey tranny??!! And that, given time, a small % will have failures. Just give it time for the miles to rack up, then you will see more failures. Guys, this problem is all across the board for Honda and Acura vehicles...why would MDX be any different?!

There is a reason why Acura suddenly changed the transmission for MDX in 2003...only two years after introducing the MDX!

I am sorry to hear that my predictions have come true. I would be piss too! My M3 has a history of engine failure (supposedly cured since '02)...so, i am in a similar situation.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
tigmd99 said:
Now, let me see, how many of you guys argued and cursed at me when i said that the MDX tranny is no different from an Odyssey tranny??!! And that, given time, a small % will have failures. Just give it time for the miles to rack up, then you will see more failures. Guys, this problem is all across the board for Honda and Acura vehicles...why would MDX be any different?!

There is a reason why Acura suddenly changed the transmission for MDX in 2003...only two years after introducing the MDX!

I am sorry to hear that my predictions have come true. I would be piss too! My M3 has a history of engine failure (supposedly cured since '02)...so, i am in a similar situation.
tigmd99,

How many argued and cursed?

What were your predictions?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Name one make of vehicle that does not have a "small % of failures" with regards to the transmissions. IT IS A MECHANICAL ITEM!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Now that you have tried to stir up some crap....mosey on back to your Tercel forum.

·
Registered
550 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
Name one make of vehicle that does not have a "small % of failures" with regards to the transmissions. IT IS A MECHANICAL ITEM!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Now that you have tried to stir up some crap....mosey on back to your Tercel forum.
Yeah, keep believing that! :rolleyes: No, it's not a mechanical thing...why did Acura change the tranny only 3 years into production??!! It's DESIGN.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
tigmd99 said:

Yeah, keep believing that! :rolleyes: No, it's not a mechanical thing...why did Acura change the tranny only 3 years into production??!! It's DESIGN.

tigmd99,

Please be more specific... do you have any schematics to point out the design flaws. Contrast and comparison to other trannies? Please share... Oh and please answer my previous questions....

How many argued and cursed?

What were your predictions?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
tigmd99 said:
Maybe you can predict when all the 2001 owners will have falied transmissions?
Everytime someone has a defective transmission we go into long posts, with lots of conjecture, off-hand comparisions, and yes even predictions.
So, some MDX transmissions fail. I don't mean to minimize the situation, but if the failure rate was significant in the world of production automobiles, we would have sufficient numbers to make valid projections, not predictions.
And some 03s have falied, so is that a fresh problem not related to pevious years? ...Damn right, you don't know!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
feliz said:
There are over 7,000 members on this forum and how many have posted with transmission problems? Not exactly an epidemic.
AMEN!!!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
mdxxx, where have you been?

Do a search! Geez! Hello! Check out the NHTSA site! If this is a true anomaly, then Acura wouldn't have a protocol for fixing the problem...and NHTSA would not have it on their website. Just like the engine oil leaks...now, is that a problem or an anomaly?

I will end here....

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Hi tigmd99:

I was wondering why you spent so much time on the Acura site not being an MDX owner and being generally negative about the MDX? Then I checked out the toyota-4Runner.org site listed with your signature and I think I now understand why you spend time here.

You must be lonely? On that site you have over 1076 posts out of 2620 total posts for the forum. That's over 40% of all the posts by you. Many threads have only your posts.

I also noticed that toyota-4Runner.org is a new site started by you and Gatorgreg in Nov 2002. Good luck with your new forum.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts