Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to have my 2002 transmission replaced at 100k thru extended warranty. For last 2 years it bucks occasionally (and intermittently) @30 - 35mph on odometer when accelerating. Had the transmission flushed by dealer to be sure I was taking necessary precautions. Acura mechanic said they can't diagnose it unless a warning light comes on with a code! Now I'm hesitant to drive it long distances for fear the tranny will give out. I only have 168k miles on it and want to continue to drive it on our skiing trips. Any suggestions? Oh -- and I would push to have it covered by Acura -- since it was already done at 100k.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I hate to hear of you having these issues. Unfortunately they were really common in the '01s and '02s. It does not surprise me to hear of two failures in the same vehicle in under 200K miles. What does surprise me, is Acura flushed your trans, which is a no-no unless you do it often, flushes have long since been discouraged as a means to fix "issues" as they almost always make things worse, unless you have been doing them regularly.

To my knowledge there never really was a fix for all of the problems that plagued the early trans, yes a couple of fixes came out, but nothing all inclusive, until around '05 or '06.

On another note, given that your X is now 13 or 14 years old, I think you are dreaming if you hold out any hope for Acura stepping up to the plate in any way. It never hurts to ask, but don't go in there getting stupid, or you will likely only cause more problems. If you work with them, they are more likely to work with you, at this point only the dealer will be willing to help if they want to, in the form of reduced labor rates, or parts discounts, if you have been a long standing customer, but Acura corporate will have nothing to do with you, so don't piss off the dealer, if you don't have to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had to have my 2002 transmission replaced at 100k thru extended warranty. For last 2 years it bucks occasionally (and intermittently) @30 - 35mph on odometer when accelerating. Had the transmission flushed by dealer to be sure I was taking necessary precautions. Acura mechanic said they can't diagnose it unless a warning light comes on with a code! Now I'm hesitant to drive it long distances for fear the tranny will give out. I only have 168k miles on it and want to continue to drive it on our skiing trips. Any suggestions? Oh -- and I would push to have it covered by Acura -- since it was already done at 100k.
Last year, Acura refused to help me out when the transmission went out (for the third time) with just over 100K on my 2002 TL. I think they wanted 5K to replace it and they would not consider reducing the price one dime. I ended up dumping the TL which was in perfect condition otherwise. I've still got my 2004 MDX (with 104K miles on it) and so far so good but I don't think Acura (or Honda) will be seeing another dime from me on future purchases. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts