Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating a 2002 touring with nav. My local dealer has two advertised for $39,780, and they are on the lot. I do realize that this is just BARELY under MSRP. How does this pan out with what others are paying? I hate not being able to deal.

I went through this pricing insanity when we bought my Eddie Bauer Expedition back in 97. Nobody had them, ordering took forever and it was expensive. I have been priming myself for a new 2003 X (yup - that's what we call them on the Expedition boards, too!) for a while now, until something got in the way...

We got a new 2003 TL-S w/navi about 2 weeks ago, and it blew all of my plans. I LOVE this car, and its certainly got me thinking about the MDX more and more. (And yes, it does have OnStar, which is kind of a novelty!) I would miss the tow capacity, certainly, but the mileage sure would be better.

The 03 Ex is coming out with a host of new goodies - including a power folding third row, heated and a/c'd seats, navi, 2 row capt. chairs, adj. pedals, etc... but now I'm torn. Wait 'til summer? Buy an MDX now? Wait for the 2003 MDX? See what that GX 470 looks like in person? I already drove a Denali XL and decided that it wasn't a good fit. Too much GM-ness on the interior, although the exterior looks great. My Ex has been fabulous in all areas (well, except for gas mileage!) and I seriously hadn't entertained the idea of getting something different. Until the TL-S came home, that is...

Anyone care to sway me one way or another?

Dana in San Diego

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you like the Tl-S, you'll LOVE the MDX. I ALMOST waited for a TL-S Anthracite, but drove the "X" and that was it. I wish they put the Anthracite color on the "X". It would look AWESOME! Good luck on your decission.;)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Yes & Yes

Get an MDX and a TL-S:D :cool: :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
no wait and MSRP is all right, try to ask for free accessories ($500 was what we got), plus a free oil change, and don't buy their extended warranties or viecle protection/VIN echting plan....

oh, almost forgot, ask them for some free dent removals, you will need them, as i found out later...

good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dana-

Do you mind telling us which dealership has two on the lot? I've spoken to both Hoen and Cush and both have 90-120 day waits.

-Mack

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I was ready to buy RIGHT NOW, I'd be up there in a heartbeat!!!

Cush Acura of Escondido has two of these - on the lot - right now (I just called them to confirm!):

2002 Granite Green touring w/navi $39,780

I don't know what other add-ons the cars may or may not have. I do know I'm headed up there this evening just so I can finally test drive one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the test drive

:confused: Well...

I just got back from driving one of the two GG Touring w/navi up in Escondido. (And by the way - one of them had already sold by the time I got up there!!!) I must say that I'm conflicted. It seems so much smaller than what I'm use to, and to my lead foot it could benefit from a few extra ponies under the hood. (To be fair here, I'm driving a 5.4L V8 with 3.73 gears, so I'm definitely use to a generous amount of torque and horsepower.)

I loved how it was so similiar interiorally to the TLs, and everything seemed to work well ergonomically. I liked the color, and think that overall I could overcome my "size bias" (ahem!) and learn to love it as much as the rest of you do. It smelled *really* good and I know the reliability will be outstanding. I can see why it is flying out of dealer showrooms at or above MSRP.

Here's the bad stuff:

1. It had running boards, chrome wheels and the protection package. Salesguy told me that someone had ordered it this way, that's how it came off the truck, and no, they couldn't take any of it off. STRIKE ONE!

2. Salesguy told me that it comes standard with HID lights, tow package and some other stuff that I knew just wasn't true. Come on - I'm a newbie to this Acura stuff, and I knew more than he did about his car! STRIKE TWO!

3. Granite Green is being discontinued. All allotments of 2002s seem to have been pre-sold. The only way I'll get one is if I'm willing to take an order (like this one) where somebody backed out and the stealership has tacked on all of their horribly marked up merchandise. STRIKE TWO AND A HALF!

4. The salesguy still tried really hard to get me to take that one home tonight anyway. Ugh. This is why I love negotiating online - you never have to deal with the whole yucky car buying stereotype at all. God bless Al Gore for inventing the internet!! (I'm kidding - no offense Al!) STRIKE...well, no strikes. He IS a car salesman, after all.

I guess I need more time. I am really bummed that GG is going away, otherwise I'd have no difficulty waiting around for the 2003 models to arrive. Happy hunting, everyone. (You SD county locals, if you want a GG Touring w/nav and don't mind the running boards and chromed rims, etc... hustle up to Cush in Escondido and bring along a check for $43K!!!)

Dana in San Diego

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info Dana! I have spoken with Cush in Kearny Mesa but not the one in Escondido. I wish I had all my ducks in a row because I'd really like to get the Granite Green model before it's discontinued. Oh well, like you I'm not really interested in the extras that are tied to that one so I guess I'll have to wait.

.Mack.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dana-

that sales surely knows little about the MDX, or he's just BAAAADDDD....

none of the MDX arrives at the dealership equipped with optional stuffs, they come off the loading truck 'butt-naked', with plastic covering almost every inch of the truck.... we've seen ours and many others like this in the dealership we visited... we were told we could order one without any options, just had to pay the MSRP...

the good news i guess for you, who's interested in GG color, is that the 2003 model MDX won't be available until late november (as the 2002 did last year), which means you have another 6 months to find a GG/touring/NAV... acura probably will continue produce that color until maybe october....

if you don't mind traveling, i've read some posts here saying dealers in the LA area are more reasonable... you might want to search for that...

good luck...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Re: Did the test drive

DFDesigns said:
[BGod bless Al Gore for inventing the internet!! (I'm kidding - no offense Al!) Dana in San Diego [/B]
u funny.:D

if u want our recs, u need to tell us more. i.e. what are your needs in a SUV: towing, kids, dogs, safety, mileage........then we can give u a honest and civilized opinion.

Personally, if you luv your expy, then why not wait for the new one to come out and see if u like it. sure you would miss out on GG, but i'm sure the "improvements" the '03 X or '03 Expy will help counter act that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hers's my needs (in no particular order)...

Tow - yes. We have a ski boat. But we almost always go skiing my my parents who have an RV to take the boat with. We really could get by with taking the Sea Doo. At the VERY least we'd need a hitch receiver for the bike rack.

Kids - yes. Plus carpool duty. I definitely need that 3rd row.

Dogs - yes. Just one, but she's big. Plus we have an inordinate amount of stuff we like to drag along with us.

Mileage - I didn't buy an Expedition hoping for good mileage, but getting better mileage is always a perk. Premium fuel's a bummer, though. There are pros and cons to everything.

I did go get the 2003 Ex brochure last night after driving the MDX. It has a lot of the goodies I want (navi, a/c seats, rear DVD syst, 2nd row captains chairs, disapearing 3rd row, etc...) but I'm NOT sold on the redesign. I really don't like the excessive body cladding and the lack of a machine finished wheel offering. They have also taken away the option of getting a grey interior on the Eddie Bauer model - now it's tan or nothing! Add in the "how I want it" pricing:

Invoice: $43,099.00
MSRP: $49,275.00

And you get a big OUCH in your wallet. 3/36K warranty kind of bites, too.

I also drove a Toyota Sequoia this morning (I'm really making the rounds!) I liked it - it's very similiar in size to the Ex and had enough "grunt". No navi, though, but Toyota actually has them in stock and are willing to deal on them. I could probably get a Limited 4x4 with all the goodies for around $41K. I definitely liked it enough to consider waiting for that Lexus GX 470.

Here's another thought: I couldn't figure out what was different on the MDX dash until we got back in the TLS - those silver backed gauges!! Has anyone switched out their MDXs black backs for TLS silver ones? I would think that would look sharp, especially with the ebony interior ones....

I'll shut up now. MAN! I can babble on...

·
Registered
619 Posts
DFDesigns said:
Invoice: $43,099.00
MSRP: $49,275.00

And you get a big OUCH in your wallet. 3/36K warranty kind of bites, too.
holy cow!:rolleyes: who in there right mind would pay $50K for a expy. do they realize this is not a navigator(even though it is as loaded).

anyways, based on your needs, and the fact that you are quite impressed with your 1st acura, i would recommend the 'X, a Honda pilot or a GX470. The other choice would be a sequoia. here' s why. It appears that u have mininmun towing needs. (unless u plan to buy a 4000 lb boat and trailer any time soon, the above 4 will easily match your needs. besides, it seems to me that you are looking for luxury and utility(car pool)). since off road capabilities, and high tow ratings are not a priority, u really don't need the sequoia or the GX's sophisticated and expensive 4-wd system, or their gas guzzling v-8's. however, the sequoia can haul alot of stuff/kids, and uses regular gas(as does the honda pilot). But, if you calculate the yearly gas bill for the Sequoia and the 'X, the 'X will be cheaper b/c of the better gas mileage.

The Honda pilot is the MDX's twin. it does have larger cargo carrying capacity than the 'X. It has 90 cubic feet of space behind the 1st row, while the 'X has 82. this may make a difference if you are car pooling. they both have the same amout of space behind the 2nd row seats- 49+ cubic feet. so that would not matter for your large dog(if you check out some of the pics on the site u will see that one large dog is no problem for the 'X). the one thing about the pilot, it is not going to be luxurious(no moonroof, cheap interior). If that is important to u then I would think a 'X would be more appropriate.

some vehicles i didn't recommend:

1. Tahoe- size wise between the 'X and the expy. but, u don't need a truck based suv, and the 3rd row seat is only useful for child seats.

2. the Mercedes ML line- too unreliable. its due for a MAJOR redesign in 2004. so why buy 1995 technology in 2003 when u can wait a yr. for a much improved model.

3. volvo XC90- not out yet, but a good competitor to the 'X on paper. details are still sketchy, i think it will be out this fall. prices will be in the mid 40's. but this will be volvo's first SUV(don't quote me on that), and i worry about their quality and reliability- since the xc90 has a turbo charged engine.

enuff for now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
DFDesigns,

Go get the 'X. You will not regret. There is not a whole lot of point in comparing it with other vehicles, especially the ones made by Ford. I am sure you would like to spend more time driving the vehicle, than spending at the dealerhsip service centers. In the market, MDX is the best value for your money. Unless there is something in particular you are looking for, go get the X.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks....

for all the great advice. I have sent out about twelve e-mails to San Diego and LA County dealers to see who might have a GG Tour without all the extras coming in....

·
Registered
619 Posts
couple of other SUV's i forgot to mention:

1. The Dodge Durango- unreliable, unrefined truck based suv, with less roominess than the 'X, poor gas mileage...etc.etc. IMHO, not in the same league as a 'X.

2. Mitsu Montero- see above. oh, and don't forget-- weird looking. not that there is anything wrong with that.:D

good luck with your shopping for the 'X, you will need it.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts