Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a letter from Acura Canada, indicating that my owner's manual incorrectly listed the proper engine oil viscosity.

" Some 2002 MDX owner's manuals contained errors indicating the recommended engine oil viscosity to be 5W20, rather than 5W30. Our records show that the Owner's Manual provided with your vehicle may be affected. Please be advised that the correct recommended engine oil viscosity for your 2002 MDX is 5W30, as indicated on the oil fill cap on the engine, not 5W20.

Your Acura dealer has previously been informed of this error to ensure that any maintenance performed on your vehicle was done using the correct recommended engine oil viscosity. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or misunderstanding this error may have caused."

The wife has the vehicle today, so I cannot check my manual to see if the oil viscosity is indeed incorrect.

FYI - Build date was January 18/02 and it is a 186 Canadian model.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is unbelievable. My dealer uses 5W-20 in ALL MDX oil changes!!!(Not just '02's)
I dont understand how the Acura can be sending this out to its customers and yet the dealers (at least here in No. VA/DC area are using 5W-20

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine Oil Viscosity

Spoke to my maintenance tech at the local Acura dealer. He assures me that they have always used 5W30 (as per the engine oil cap) and not the 5W20.

Whew......:2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was told that here in the DC area we have RFG fuel types and 5W-20 will help them squeeze that extra mile or two out of a gallon??
Who knows. I have used 5w-30 in both changes so far.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I just noticed my dealer used 5W20 when I had the 3750 mile oil change.

I called my dealer (in MA) and he told me that they have not heard anything from Acura regarding a change to 5W30.

What are the ramifications of using 5W20 instead of 5W30?

:confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do a search here and on the Pilot forum and you will find plenty of info on this subject. Bottom line, Honda/Acura and Ford are moving to 5W20 to meet CAFE standards. Even with most engine platforms going unchanged between 2002 and 2003, the viscosity recommendation is changing. Rest assured, you could use either in your X and not have any problems, but do what makes you feel comfortable. I'm 90%+ sure that the 2003 X will be 5W20 all the way.

Chris

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just checked my owner's manual and it says "An oil with a viscosity of 5W-30 is preferred for improved fuel economy and year round protection.. You may use a 10W-30 oil if the temperature in your area never goes below 20 degree F." (Build date- May 02)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
"Problem" with manuals occurred in "early 2002 models". Our December 2002 had the 5W-20 "typo". I believe that Acura fixed it in Q2-2002.

As to dealers being notified, that was PURE AND SIMPLE BS. I had to show the SERVICE DEPARTMENT [at servicing dealer] both MY MANUAL and a MANUAL FROM A LATER 2002 [which I had to get from THEIR Sales Dept] so they could see the difference. Acura had told them nada, nothing, sqat, and did not even post it on their "service dept on-line board" [whatever Acura calls it].

Gosh, I hate when we are fibbed to ... it is sooooo UN-necessary, yet THEY feel compelled to do it .... why ?????????? ... really makes me WANT to trust the dealer ... WRONG

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
xyzzy said:
Bottom line, Honda/Acura and Ford are moving to 5W20 to meet CAFE standards.
I believe that is, in fact, the case. However, what's best for CAFE isn't necessarily what's best for 100k+ on an engine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
TheWorm said:

I believe that is, in fact, the case. However, what's best for CAFE isn't necessarily what's best for 100k+ on an engine.
My take has been this, 5W20 is marginally better for fuel economy and 5W30 offers marginally better protection. Given the choices, I'll take the marginally better protection every time. It's not that I don't trust the manufacturer or question their judgement to move to 5W20, it's just that I've always been one to pay for protection/safety. It's the same deal with synthetics vs dino oil. The manufacturers say you don't need it, but it gives me peace of mind. That's why I always throw a "do what makes you comfortable" into these conversations.

Chris

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
craig02mdx said:
This is unbelievable. My dealer uses 5W-20 in ALL MDX oil changes!!!(Not just '02's)
I dont understand how the Acura can be sending this out to its customers and yet the dealers (at least here in No. VA/DC area are using 5W-20
Craig,

I am wondering which dealer you went to. I brought my to Pohanka for the first oil change, they did use 5w-30.

- JTM

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
srpbep said:
"Problem" with manuals occurred in "early 2002 models". Our December 2002 had the 5W-20 "typo". I believe that Acura fixed it in Q2-2002.
srpbep,

Are you talking about December 2001? Or are you living somewhere else that is already in December 2002? :2: :D

- JTM

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
Maik said:
I just noticed my dealer used 5W20 when I had the 3750 mile oil change.

I called my dealer (in MA) and he told me that they have not heard anything from Acura regarding a change to 5W30.

What are the ramifications of using 5W20 instead of 5W30?

:confused:
Some dealers just suck. All dealer service department get an internal newsletter simply called Service News. In the March 2002 edition it clearly says there was a misprint in the owners manual, and we should use 5W-30 on all MDXs. Too bad the actual oil we use is Pennzoil. Bleh...

Rob

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
So, Rob, what do you have against using one of the better oils -- Pennzoil?:8:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Rob,

Thanks for all the info. What do you think about Mobil 1? What does your service dept. think if one was to bring their own oil (Mobil 1) for the oil change? Or do the dealers have Mobil 1?

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
We don't stock Mobil 1, we have he Pennzoil syntethic, but I think you can't go wrong with Mobil 1. My father swears by Red Line for his Corvettes, but I've looked at the bottom of a bottle a few times, and there's a lot of sediment which worries me.

And ask alot of mechanics...we hate Pennzoil. Leaves alot of varnish and sludge after a while.

Rob

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
JTM ... Regarding the dates, Oooops!! Yeah, we got our 2002 MDX in December 2001 ... Sorry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts