Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JDM replacement trans almost 2 years ago, been running great shifts are smooth as ever. This rumbling sound (and slight shake) happens after 10-15 mins driving at stop lights in any of the forward gears, (D 4 3 2 1). If I place in N ,R or P the sound stops and car is very very smooth but once placed in D the sound and vibrations come back.
Any ideas? fluid is at correct level and appears clean vis dip stick.

Thanks for any help and advice

·
Registered
710 Posts
Long shot guess: realize you said it smooths out in P, R, and N but did you check the engine and vacuum lines to be sure you’re not getting a misfire or stumbling? Maybe check the vac to the front motor mount to confirm the line and mount Is not leaking.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll look at them this weekend. All my mounts are relatively new, I guess they can still break prematurel. The rear mount was new installed same time as trans replacement. Front and right mounts were replaced 4 rears ago during TB service. Both trans mounts are 3 years old.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Sounds unlikely then, unless the mounts were "no-name" replacements, which could have been seriously under-engineered. I should add that you can make sure that all the mount bolts are actually tight (since they've all been loosened / tightened during replacement).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All mounts are in good condition. I guess might be internal, gonna have to take it in to the shop at some point:( Hope it’s nothing major.

Again, only happens after full warm up in any fwd gear while stopped. First 15 mins of driving is smooth as new. Even in reverse it’s smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Might be a good opportunity to use a mechanic's stethoscope. It's just the thing for localizing a mechanical noise like this, as long as the sound is repeatable (sounds like it is). Of course, take care when leaving the car in gear and running while poking around under the hood (kind of goes without saying, but...). ;-)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed, LOL. by some one running a red light and wrote of my MDX. Grrr!!.
For those who do not have a dash camera, I highly recommend spending $50 to get one. This thing saved my "arse", other driver said I made left turn into him.
Sad day, But I'll be looking for a Gen 2 Mdx hopefully soon.
Cheers All

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have to admit fantasizing about how to get rid of a problem car like this... Just drive along until you see some dweeb playing with their phone instead of "driving", get in front of him/her, and slam on the brakes. ;-)

We'll miss you if you join the dark side and go to a 2G MDX! Then again, I've gone through three cars since my 1G MDX, and I'm still here. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts