Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a seemingly fine 2002 MDX Jan. Of this year. Drove it home at 80mph. For a good 45 min. 188000 mi. Drove like a dream. I drove it a few times after than in a months span, during freezing temps, it overheated during a 20 min. Drive home. Changed sensor, drove for a couple more months (I drove it a half full of times, I’m a stay at home mom.). Drove it 20 min. Sat for an hour appointment and it started overheating to the point I had to leave my baby in a parking lot for tow. I have an aftermarket radiator and a thermostat ready to be put in. Hoping the aftermarket radiator is okay. My husband dabbles in mechanics and says the (duel) fans need replaced as well as the grey tubes that I suppose carry the coolant? Anywho any insight to this issue, previous experience would be great. I would like to know which fans to purchase.. should I buy the cooling and condenser fans separate to save cash or should I get a duel model, and who knows which separate fans or duel model fans are the correct parts. I’m quite confused on which one(s) to purchase. And what other recommended parts should I get with the rad and fan replacements. The vehicle runs hot in idle and in drive. The fans only come on when car is completely off and continue to run when car is off for quite some time. Fans are not on when car is in motion, park or neutral.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If the fans come on at any time, the fans are NOT the problem, and you'll be wasting time and money buying new ones.

The question is why the car overheated the first time. If it was sub-freezing, it could be because it has little or no antifreeze. The worst case scenario is that the engine got hot enough to blow the head gasket - check the coolant reservoir. The coolant should be fairly clear, but clearly green(ish), without any sign of "milk shake" (which is what happens when the coolant mixes with oil due to a bad head gasket). And check the level of the coolant in the reservoir - low coolant level can cause the kind of problems you describe.

If the fans aren't coming on when the car gets hot, that's a separate problem. Do they come on when you flip on the A/C?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan does not come on when the car is on or overheating. Only after the engine has been shut off. The ax fan blows but the compressor needs replacing so it blows hot air.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The radiator fan should come on when you turn on the A/C (whether it is working right or not, IIRC). If the sensor that normally turns on your radiator fans isn't working, and IF that's all that's wrong, a quick work-around is to just flip on the A/C (which turns on the radiator fans and keeps the car cool).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hmmm, driving half full of . . .

Passengers: OK
Cargo: OK
Oil: Bad
Coolant: Bad

Leaving baby in parking lot: ???

Agree with Habby, check coolant level, correct color, and fans aren’t the problem. Hoses are not the cause unless they leak.

Is the radiator leaking or is any coolant leaking? If yes, you need to find the cause - radiator, hoses, water pump.

If it’s not leaking, the coolant level is correct, and it’s the correct coolant, meaning it wasn’t filled with water or mostly water, I would guess it’s the radiator cap and/or thermostat. Would try those first before changing the radiator. Thinking the cap is not holding correct pressure (if the coolant level is correct, you might see coolant overflowing the reservoir). Or the thermostats is stuck.

If you do change the radiator, changing the upper and lower hoses would make sense to do at the same time.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts