Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been going low on oil and i took a look under the mdx to find a small drip about to come off of the lowest part of the engine (of course thats where it ends up)

i have 154k on my 02' mdx and im wondering if theres any known gaskets to go bad or need changed around that range of mileage. obviously you cant tell me whats wrong with my engine for sure but some suggestions would be nice THANKS GUYS! dont post much so im learning bare with me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rear main seal probably. Mine started (06) around 140k . If your inspection plate on transmission is coated in oil, that's what it is. It's a 3k job from the dealer, maybe less from a shop. I just used stop leak , it's hard to see the value of a 3k job on a car that is barely worth that per KBB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back in January, I had a small leak coming from the valve cover gasket. The oil would drip out onto the exhaust and burn up. It caused this smell like fresh asphalt. Not sure if that would be your issue though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Best advice is to get under there and wipe everything clean. The oil actually helps with the cleaning so just the wiping is sufficient, no need for cleaners.

Then drive the MDX, and take another look to identify the source of the leak.

My MDX has 165K miles and is moist but not dripping in the same location as BuddysMDX. Its the main seal but I'm not touching it unless the tranny goes.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
With my trusty Jeep Cherokee's rear main seal link, I just stuffed a microfiber rag between the engine and transmission. It soaked up months worth of oil without further hassle. I did eventually fix the RMS (doesn't require removing the transmission in the Jeep - not sure about the MDX), and the three other sources of oil leaks (as near as I can figure, the Jeep 4.0 engine is designed to leak oil, but also to last forever).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts