Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD TECH
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my 2002 MDX Touring (198K miles) has experienced an unusual transmission failure and I'm not sure if its repairable (other than $$$ replacement). Searched forum; nothing like this noted. I'm looking to upgrade to newer MDX but am trying to get this 2002 drive-able for a trade-in (or donate).

HISTORY: Transmission replaced by Acura during warranty, rebuilt after warranty. Changed all solenoids after experiencing problems after out-of-warranty rebuild. ATF fluid changes regularly; replaced only 1K miles prior to this problem.

Pre-PROBLEM: I believe all likely due to torque converter/tranny issues.
  1. Engaging reverse (R) gear from Park (P) of Neutral (N) took elevated RPM to engage at times
  2. Engaging R was hard, sometime with loud "clunk"
  3. Shifting between some drive gears (D5-D1) were hard during high acceleration (slow acceleration was fine).
  4. Periodic shuttering engine/transmission when trying to engage gear.
PROBLEM: After using MDX in reverse to drive over curb (parking ~2000 boat; car has towing package installed), I heard a loud sound w/ some slight tranny slipping, my drive-train is now always in reverse. I'm able to move shifter to any gear, however, tranny will not disengage from reverse. Doesn't matter what shifter position (P, R. N. D5-D1). Seems as if engine/tranny/torque converter are stuck in position.

DTCs:
  • P0730 - Faulty Shift Control
  • P0740 - Lock-Up Control System Fault
  • P0780 - Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System of Shift Solenoid Valve A and A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valves A and B, or Problem in Hydraulic Control System
  • P1740 - Problem in 4th Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit
  • P1750 - Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System of A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assemblies A and B, or Problem in Hydraulic Control System
My Actions:
  1. I've verified Gear shifter cabling and lock-out switch
  2. I've verified ATF fluid is clean and at-level
  3. I've verified wiring and voltages from tranny solenoids to PCM
Hoping MDX'er experts have possible remedy but anyone with experience with this kind of issue are most welcome.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts