Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day MDXers. I will the proud owner or a 2002 MDX Base Nav tomorrow afternoon. I have been scouring the web to find a way to install a backup camera on the 2002 stock navigation system but have come up empty. Has anyone successfully done this. I know the 02s did not have backup cameras so does the wiring even support such a thing? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have that exact model.
I've had my car 14 years... since new. In 2009 I installed the backup camera from AVElectronics.... I think this is the "Sam's kit" people refer to. It's a great kit in that it really does work like a factory backup camera..... comes on immediately, good field of view, good low light performance, Also the factory nav is totally undisturbed. Not cheap, but way cheaper than repairing a scraped up bumper. Fabulous customer service..

Just this week I decided to upgrade the rest of the center stack by replacing the stereo (not Bose) with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX so I could have Apple CarPlay and HD radio. Crutchfield discouraged me, saying that the Pioneer wouldn't fit in my particular "Odd configuration" (Base model, with factory nav but without Bose) and they were especially concerned with the climate controls which operate through the nav screen.
Anyhow, I had this installation done professionally by Car Toys and I'm very happy with it. The only impact on the factory nav is now I've lost the voice output, but otherwise it works as it always did. I plan on the new Pioneer being my primary nav, using Apple Maps through the CarPlay system. It's much faster than the original Acura nav system and of course, more up-to-date.

However, all of this adventure has given me a valuable insight: The Pioneer system has port for a backup camera. You might want to think about just doing a two-screen set up with the Pioneer below and your factory nav screen would be for climate control and a voiceless nav.. The total cost of using the Pioneer for all these functions would be several hundred $ less that what I've got invested in mine and the only negative is that the backup display would be on the lower of the two screens.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have that exact model.
I've had my car 14 years... since new. In 2009 I installed the backup camera from AVElectronics.... I think this is the "Sam's kit" people refer to. It's a great kit in that it really does work like a factory backup camera..... comes on immediately, good field of view, good low light performance, Also the factory nav is totally undisturbed. Not cheap, but way cheaper than repairing a scraped up bumper. Fabulous customer service..

Just this week I decided to upgrade the rest of the center stack by replacing the stereo (not Bose) with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX so I could have Apple CarPlay and HD radio. Crutchfield discouraged me, saying that the Pioneer wouldn't fit in my particular "Odd configuration" (Base model, with factory nav but without Bose) and they were especially concerned with the climate controls which operate through the nav screen.
Anyhow, I had this installation done professionally by Car Toys and I'm very happy with it. The only impact on the factory nav is now I've lost the voice output, but otherwise it works as it always did. I plan on the new Pioneer being my primary nav, using Apple Maps through the CarPlay system. It's much faster than the original Acura nav system and of course, more up-to-date.

However, all of this adventure has given me a valuable insight: The Pioneer system has port for a backup camera. You might want to think about just doing a two-screen set up with the Pioneer below and your factory nav screen would be for climate control and a voiceless nav.. The total cost of using the Pioneer for all these functions would be several hundred $ less that what I've got invested in mine and the only negative is that the backup display would be on the lower of the two screens.
Did you do the "Sam's" install yourself? Was it easy?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes I did. And I think it looks stock.
It's less work than most other wired backup camera installs.... not much harder than a "wireless" install. [You do NOT go into the dashboard area at all; camera feed attaches to nav DVD under passenger seat; so no physical contortion involved.] The actual camera install is no big deal just take your time.
I did run into a question and called Sam on a Saturday afternoon; no answer. I wasn't surprised. Then 5 minutes later HE called me.... apologized for missing my call, and answered my question. Really outstanding customer service.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts