Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2002 Acura MDX

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Golden Eagle 
#1 ·
Just bought a used MDX with about 150k on it about a month ago and looking to make sure it's in good condition and stays that way.

It's bright yellow - I've had many comments on the color [B-92P-4]

Looks like it was owned by someone who took decent care of it - there are some dents and cracks, but overall it was CLEAN - aside from the kiddy puke smell.

Need an extra key, and key fobs often set off the car alarm (even with brand new batteries). Need to get that all worked out.

Already replaced the alternator - fried the stator.

Had that horrendous groaning / grinding noise coming from the differential. Changed out the fluid and the noise _instantly_ went away.

Changed out the plugs.

Need to hunt down the leak in the power steering - the system was empty and hard to steer when I got it - what a difference adding fluid makes.

Had some open-end lugs, and changed those out for standard acorn lugs, using anti-seize and torquing to 80 ft-lb. One lug nut is still stuck, and on wheel stud is snapped off - working my way up to the "fun" of replacing THAT.
There's a bit of thumping, so I might clean up the disc brakes and make sure all of that's in good condition.
Slow leak in one tire, very gradual pressure loss in some others. New tires though, so I'm suspecting it might just need to have the bead surface on the rim cleaned up.

2-inch Trailer receiver is a bit rusted, so I want to free up the bolts on that and clean up the receiver frame, bumper frame, and install new bolts with plenty of anti-seize.

Want to get a dvd player or video game console for the aftermarket screen mounted in the headliner - any recommendations? (inexpensive)

Thanks for all the great information posted here - it's been a big help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats. Do you have any pics? B-92P-4 is supposed to be Nighthawk Black Pearl so I would love to see this yellow!

Good luck with everything. You should have a good car for a few years at least!

#3 ·
Thanks phins2rt,
The local Honda dealer has been excellent with their customer service as well as their prices. Got some small parts and a new piece of tubing for the power steering today. Also got a spare key for $30.

Attached are pics - one of the door frame to show the color designation.

#4 ·
Holy taxi cab Batman! You have a very unique color there Eagle. Even the flares and BSM are color matched! Is the engine bay yellow as well?

#5 ·
Yeah, it definitely has that look. It's been amazing to notice just how many other yellow vehicles there are around here since I got it.

The engine bay is the standard black - though something lighter might help diffuse some light around the bay when working on it...

So, the latest odyssey started with a slow loss of pressure in the rear right tire. "What the heck, I'll see what a shop will charge to just look at it and maybe fix it. _$25_ OK, I can go with that. Tire's down to 2/32" of tread, so need a new one - but really "need " two new ones on the same axle.... ok. So then I show up to get them changed, and when they take off the right front to swap it out, they say there's a broken stud (which I knew about) and another one is stretched - and it sure was. Need to replace those. {good luck} Thankfully the accursed rotor screws were already out. Much concern about having enough room to drive out, then replace studs. Tried the grinding trick - still won't go. Chisel out a notch in the splash guard - still won't go. Gotta take the damned hub off (Thanks, Acura design engineers), replace the wheel bearing, and put it all back together. They do that and there's "a noise" driving it in the lot. Turns out to be the splash shield rubbing. That gets removed. all is well. 4-1/2 hours later ....

Now I just need to replace the corroded power steering line.

#6 ·
I wonder if a previous owner had some different wheels that had improper offsets or had some spacers on the hubs. Hope everything works out.

#7 ·
Could be, there are a lot of aftermarket things on the car. No idea where the current tires came from - maybe the dealer. Kinda curious why only one of the tires was worn - is it related to the differential fluid being degraded?
I need to look up what the drive wheel on the '02 is.

Got the low-pressure line removed and the new one installed. Shiny. No leak (so far).
A bit of whine from the pump - not sure if that's residual air or seals that haven't seen fluid in a while, or just wear to the pump from not having any fluid in it for an undetermined amount of time.
Needless to say, I don't want to add another $300+ for a PS pump, and I'm wary about pouring in some mystery magic fluid to "instantly and effortlessly stop PS noise!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.