Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have a damaged windshield in my 2001 MDX from a small stone. From looking at the postings, this seems to be a common occurance. From what I understand, for the 2002+ models, Acura used a thinker windshield to help with additional soundproffing for the vehicle. My question is can my 2001 windsheild be replaced with the 2002 unit? Ie., are the physical specifications such that this could be a "seamless" replacement and in the process help provide additional break protection? My dealer couldn't answer the question so I'm appealing to the collective knowledge of the site. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Cedric-

From what I know, the measurements are virtually the same. My intention is that if I do get a huge crack on my windshield on 01 I will replace it with the '02 or later.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do a search on this. It appears that the 02 is thicker and the dimensions were not the same so you could not put an 02 into an 01 frame.

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All,
Actually I am sorry to say but you are incorrect.

I had my 2001 windshield replaced with a 2002/2003 by my dealer after I received a number of stone chips that spread. You will notice the difference, especially with the rain hitting it, it is quieter. My service manager had to reduce the cost to that of an aftermarket replacement that the insurance company was willing to pay for.

Traded my 2001 for a 2003 today. Even better than a new windshield. :2:

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
jhette said:
Hi All,
Cheers,
J
Wow! Congrats !:29:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
jhette said:
Hi All,
Actually I am sorry to say but you are incorrect.

I had my 2001 windshield replaced with a 2002/2003 by my dealer after I received a number of stone chips that spread. You will notice the difference, especially with the rain hitting it, it is quieter. My service manager had to reduce the cost to that of an aftermarket replacement that the insurance company was willing to pay for.

Cheers,
J
Interesting! I hope I AM incorrect! Cush Acura in San Diego told me the '02 would absolutely not fit into the '01 due to the existing channel/frame (or something). So...IF your dealer has accomplished this, I'd like to know the specifics (dealer name, etc) so I can have my service manager phone your service manager. The wind noise is really ridiculous.

Congrats on the trade. What was the financial downside? I've been considering a "quieter" trade.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The dealer is Lougheed Acura in BC. (604) 522-6118.

The service manager is Gary. He arranged for the 2002 windshield.

The financial downside to the trade was $900CND and the admin fees + new tow package. It was worth it as I had fairly high mileage.

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
DMor said:

Interesting! I hope I AM incorrect! Cush Acura in San Diego told me the '02 would absolutely not fit into the '01 due to the existing channel/frame (or something). So...IF your dealer has accomplished this, I'd like to know the specifics (dealer name, etc) so I can have my service manager phone your service manager. The wind noise is really ridiculous.

Congrats on the trade. What was the financial downside? I've been considering a "quieter" trade.
The guys at Cush Acura(You can QUOTE me on THIS), are a bunch of jokers, they wouldn't know a header from an exhaust on an Acura if you ask them. Did you know that I put my deposit for my MDX with them and it took them six months to get back to me to tell me that they still dont have a VIN??? I went to Ball Acura in NAtional City instead. Yeah they are a smaller dealer but shiiieeeet AT LEAST they know what they are selling and what they are servicing.:p

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks! Ball is a little out of my area, but might be worth the field trip. Expecially if I can get a loaner when it's serviced. That makes the commute fairly painless.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Getting a new windshield today!

Hey DMor...how ya doing?

I am having my windshield replaced for the second time today. Another rock chip that cracked. Damn these things are fragile. Safelite is doing the windshield...I think they are Nationwide chain. And, they are the ones that replaced it last time.

But, according to them there are not different windshields for 2001 and subsequent years....at least there aren't any different ones in their parts list.

I will ask the question specifically when I take it in....they were going to come to me with their mobile service but it is raining so I am going to their shop now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Okay, got my THIRD windshield.

I got my windshield replaced again. I specifically asked about the difference in glass between the 2001 and subsequent year MDXs. According to Safelite there is NO DIFFERENCE. They only stock one replacement windshield and it fits all 2001-2003 MDX, except those with rain sensing windshieldwipers.

They also checked to see if different glass could be ordered from other manufacturers...Nope...according to all their catalogs only one windshield is made to replace all 2001-2003 MDX glass...again except for the rain sensing feature. Those have some additional hardware on them for mounting the sensor.

This doesn't line up at all with the information we have read on this site in the past. I don't understand the discrepancy, but Safelite really tried to find some difference in glass between model years on the MDX for me and they couldn't find any anywhere.

If the 2002-later models have thicker windshields that won't fit in a 2001, then all replacement glass out there is 2001 and they are putting the thinner glass in the 2002-later models. At least that is the only explanation in my mind.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Merrillcrosbie:

___I guess the only real way to find out if there is a difference between the 01’s and the 02/03’s is to head on over to an Acura dealership and ask the parts guy … Maybe an Acura dealership with a body shop as well? As you have read, even the Honda/Acura literature has made mention of thicker glass on the 02’s vs. 01’s for better interior sound abatement if I remember correctly. Tim, any comments on this?

___If I would have known, I could have asked this exact question last Saturday at an owners clinic but I will probably not visit the dealership again until the weather turns nasty next fall and I need an oil change or similar. At least I hope that is the only time I have to visit them ;) Why don’t you give your own Acura dealership a call and see what they say?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would have to assume that they have dropped the '01 spec in favor of the 02 and up.

Safelite is aftermarket as well.

It is not economically feasible to produce two models when the better of the two fits both and anyone with a 2002 and up would have to get the correct spec, I don't think anyone with a '01 would complain about the upgrade. I wouldn't, actually I requested it.

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree...if it fits.

I agree that it makes sense to only stock one windshield if it will fit all models.

But, this website has been fairly adamant for over a year now that the 2002 windshields will not fit in a 2001. That is the part that is still unclear to me. It was suppose to be a credible source that posted that this difference was not upwardly compatible when it was discussed in detail early in the 2002 model year.

But, it is all moot to me. I have my windshield, and I can see through it. That is all I care about. I just hope it is the last one I have to buy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Posible answer

If Acura has not told the dealers that the '02 and up is a valid replacement for the '01 windshield, they may not be "allowed" (maybe to strong a word) to install a part not "Authorized" by the manufacturer.
Aftermarket companies will often list broader applications for replacement parts so they can stock less different models.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Timothy... Timothy... Are you there???

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
RE: Windshield replacements in general

What about the Inspection and Registration stickers?

·
Registered
219 Posts
No stickers anymore

Here in Utah we did away with all registration and inspection stickers on the windshield many years ago. Now we just have a tag on the license plate...you have to prove emissions/inspection compliance before you can get an updated tag each year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts