Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to the forum, just bought a 2001 mdx with 162000 miles, really good condition for the age.

i have a slight pull to the right when decelerating, drives straight when accelerating but when i let off it is an immediate but slight pull..almost a twist/slide feeling to the right. also, when i accelerate hard in reverse it pulls hard to the left, steering wheel turns fast.

So far these things have been replaced on the front with no effect, nothing done to the rear yet

new lower control arms
new inner and outer tie rod ends
new struts
new sway bar links
new tires...flipped sides to insure it wasn't radial pull

new front engine mount...this did not have a vacuum line hooked up and still doesn't..not sure it that could be the whole issue??

the alignment was done after these were replaced, toe was not completely zeroed out, right rear camber was the only thing in red at -1.8

any input is appreciated, i can't stop until i figure this out

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I responded you over Acurazine but in case you missed it:

Seems that there is drag in the system when coasting...

Have you check bearing conditions? Accelerating can overcome the friction made by a bad bearing because the launch happens in AWD until a certain speed where VTM4 lets go. But when you coast the car is 100% FWD so any drag will cause a deviation of track.

Sticking caliper can also be at fault.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I'd guess that a bad enough brake or bearing drag to feel would cause some serious heat. If you don't have one, get a cheap IR thermometer (currently a whopping $20 on sale, sometimes even less from Harbor Freight). Drive around at moderate speed for a few minutes, and then shoot the rotors and hubs to see if one is meaningfully hotter than the other.

I had the same rear camber issue, and (maybe) as a result some really odd rear tire wear. The rear camber isn't adjustable, and worse, the data on the factory rear camber that's loaded into the database for the alignment machine that your shop used (and most do, apparently) seems to be wrong. The spec in the computer seems to be centered on -1.0° rear camber, plus or minus 0.4°, while the factory manual calls for -0.3° plus or minus 45" (or 0.75°). This kind of bugged me, so I installed a set of adjustable upper control arms on my MDX and currently have the rear camber set to -0.4° and -0.5°.

I would certainly suspect motor mounts, too, particularly the ones that would keep the engine front rotating relative to the centerline of the car (not rotating fore/aft, which can cause clunks or thunks, but shouldn't affect steering). Have someone who you trust (a lot!) cycle between D-N-R and give the car a bit of gas to see if you can see the engine twisting unusually. My gut tells me that the one on the passenger's fenderwell would be the most suspect.

The only other thing I could think of is that it's always possible your steering rack has some sort of non-linearity and is prone to being pushed one way more than the other. Let's all hope that's not it! ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks happyguy, i crawled under it and saw that the 2 lower transmission mounts are totally shot, so i will be replacing those and passenger side this weekend. that leaves only the rear...not looking forward to that so i may wait on that.

i did use ir thermometer on all the wheel hubs and brakes, no noticeable heat differences.

so if it isnt the mounts i will then look at the rack..keep my fingers crossed!

thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also does can anyone point out where the vacuum line that goes to the front motor mount actually comes from? it didn't have a line hooked up and i would love to find out where it should be..thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update here- added adjustable camber links on the rear and had it in for alignment, i think the tug to the right when i let off is a tiny bit better..but still there. still pulls hard left in reverse when i get on the gas. i have no more ideas to try..wish i could figure it out

·
Registered
710 Posts
Seems from your symptoms of pulling right going forward, left going backwards that your rear passenger wheel, suspension, or drive, might be the cause. (I've never accelerated hard in reverse - sounds fun to try - sounds like torque steer in reverse.)

You said no heat difference. Maybe start with the brakes cold and drive a mile, brake moderately and take a quick temp read. I'm also wondering if the parking brake is dragging but that should mean more heat.

Have you checked the condition of the pads to see if they indicate anything? If not, maybe start with the rear passenger set. You could also grab the tire at 6/12 position and 3/9 position while it's up in the air and try to move it in/out (if it's safe of course).

If it's safe both bodily and mechanically; in an 01, can you disable AWD and just use FWD to do the same forward backward test to see if there is any difference. Thinking if the rear diff can be ruled out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's safe both bodily and mechanically; in an 01, can you disable AWD and just use FWD to do the same forward backward test to see if there is any difference. Thinking if the rear diff can be ruled out.
may be a dumb question, but how do i disable AWD? thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
My 06 X and 08 TL both have a VSA (vehicle stability assist) button on the dash. You might want to check your owners manual and google it. The description in my owner's manual states VSA uses the engine and selective braking to assist stability. Maybe it doesn't truly turn off AWD. Without it, the owner's manual implies that torque steer can be increased.

I'll try your drag race in reverse or 180 get away maneuver and see how my X handles! and respond.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That is because AFAIK the 2001 and 2002 MDX did not have VSA, they didn´t even had TCS....
It was until 2003 IIRC that they introduced VSA to the MDX (Skipping TCS altogether).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts