Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2001 MDX Front End Shakes???

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  shawnharper 
#1 ·
i dont know if this question has been asked before i didnt have timne to search forums srry... but i got a 2001 mdx and the whole front of the car rocks to the left n right when i floor it too much or i have been driving on the freeway for too long with the ac on or im driving in the city w/ the ac on. if you can help let me know...

#5 ·
I posted the results on another thread yeaterday but I'll update here too.

So far this problem has resulted in a New EGR Valce and a Remanned Transmission. I took it back to the dealer yesterday because it was still shaing and getting worse. He said to get my almost new tires checked.
I went to Costco where the said my tires were crap (BF Goodrich TA Tours) so they are upgrading them to Michelin Latitude Tour HPs for free. The old ones had 13000 KM and 10 months on them. He said the were a relatively new tire and they were just starting to get this feedback so they were doing an automatic upgrate.
He did rotate the tires which significantly shifted the symptoms of the vibrationfrom the steering to the rest of the vehicle. I think the worse tire got shuffled to the rear.

So when I get the tires on next week I'll see where we are.

So in a nutshell, I got the EGR valve done ($0) and the Tranny replaced ($50) due to what seems to be bad tires.

However, if the vibration persists the dealer will be looking at steerng rack and pump replacement.

I'll have a whole new vehicle soon..:)

Bottom line: Tires can produce symtoms very similar to other vibration and washboard complaints. And Costco has about the best tire warranty that I have ever experienced.

#8 ·
My steering wheel is still vibrating after a new set of Michelin tires. I went back to the dealer last Friday and he turned the axle shaft 180 degrees and said it was better. My wife picked it up and I did not drive it till the weekend. I called them again today to take it back on Wednesday...still vibrating my hands to sleep.
So the service manager tells me today it sounds like it's in the steering. WOW...amazing insight since I have been telling him that for weeks.
I'll update when they put the next new parts on...I'll have a new vehicle soon...LOL

#9 ·
polyian said:
My steering wheel is still vibrating after a new set of Michelin tires. I went back to the dealer last Friday and he turned the axle shaft 180 degrees and said it was better. My wife picked it up and I did not drive it till the weekend. I called them again today to take it back on Wednesday...still vibrating my hands to sleep.
So the service manager tells me today it sounds like it's in the steering. WOW...amazing insight since I have been telling him that for weeks.
I'll update when they put the next new parts on...I'll have a new vehicle soon...LOL
how do your compliance bushings look?.. mine are developing dry rot but haven't failed or caused vibrations yet..

#10 ·
I have no idea what the bushings are like. I can only assume several mechanics have been poking around down there trying to figure out what the problem is. I keep telling them it's the steering rack but it seems they have to get to the answer their own way...I could be wrong. We'll see after they replace enough stuff.

This vibration does not change with speed and it starts at very low speed all the way up to highway speed. I put it in nuetral at 50mph and turned the engine off and it was still vibrating. Feels like mechanical vibration in the steering system to me. Bad PS pump or rack I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.