Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 MDX 144000 miles. Trans cooler in 2017
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 2nd timing belt, serpentine, power steering belts, water pump replaced in mdx life time ( I do it early as I have time. ) I picked it up from mechanic not an acura dealer. I'm also towing a 2800 pound utility trailer, yes i have both the trans cooler and power steering cooler. this same week I replaced drivers front wheel bearing too. also got the oem spark plugs replaced and mileage picked up immediatly too. This is the first time I'm hearing these sputtering noises. thinking possibly coming from semi-clogged injectors or maybe dirty fuel filter ?? (if that's even possible) ? noisy on light or medium acceleration. no noise on deceleration. Sounds like a spraying spritzing from multiple locations.. Maybe it's a loose vacuum hose(s) ? I'm stumped. Need to know asap if trouble is enough to visit a dealer or not ?? I'm moving down the Atlantic coast from central PA through Baltimore Monday through Thursday and down to South Florida next few weeks. Please let me know. seems not easy to make a recording yet I'll try to get it and post here. Thanks in advance.
Ken

·
Registered
577 Posts
The check engine light is not on? I'm wondering if it is the below (link).

It is happening on my car under light acceleration. I call it a light rattle, but I can see how it could be considered a "sputter" sound too.

It is very unlikely a clogged fuel filter or injectors or vacuum leak causing noise, that wouldn't also throw a code and turn on your check engine light. A clogged fuel filter or dying fuel pump sometimes sound like a constant droning whine, but not a sputter I've ever heard. I replaced my air filter and assembly with a conical oil gauze filter, and now I hear a gentle rushing air sound inside the car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Also the power steering pump intake o-ring can cause a gurgling sound. But I've never heard of it being engine speed dependent under acceleration. Usually people notice it upon start-up in the winter when the fluid is cold and thick, and also when turning the wheel since the pressure differential and fluid flow increase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you rbmorse and habbyguy and colinnwn,
I was up till 3a monday morning, searching these pages.. I searched youtube and found simular sounds from another acura engine owner. Sounded more like engine noise like a sewing machine on his video. Another notion was valves ratteling - after Friday having my timing chain and spark plugs replaced.
I called the dealer whom mdx purchased from, spoke with the service manager who suggested I drive it slowly under 30 to nearest Honda or Acura dealer or qualified mechanic and have valve clearances checked.. The Muncy Pennsylvania Honda dealer gave me rough quote $600 for R&R valve cover gasket while adjusting all valves... I brought my MDX in and spoke directly to their chief engineer who instructed the service manager to write up 1 hour to check and measure the valves and then they will call me if more time needed. While I was there I thought about my rear transaxle oil has not been changed since 2012 and allowed the $105 charge since I'm visiting don't live here in PA and nowhere to do it myself. I explained when the engine is warm or at operational temps after a brief stop for coffee - it's getting hard to start too. turns over easy enough yet not firing up as easy as when cold. They gave me a loaner HRV sporty bouncy tiny 4door hatchback and asked by when I need the car done by. I'm thinking ah a free loaner to see the countryside. I'm open to suggestions on what alternatives if that valve adjustment does not work ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bet is on a bad motor mount or lower control arm compliance bushing.
Front and side motor mounts oem replaced 4 months ago , never did the rear motor mount.

Sound is more light sewing machine or metal to metal stitching sound..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bingo Habbyguy ! Honda Dealer found same issue that you share.. Lower Control Arm compliance bushing!! $400 dealer installed.. and their mechanic also said needs valves adjusted because he heard the typerwriter stitching noise sounds on the pre workup test drive $600 dealer fee, plus needs rear transaxle oil change $60 dealer fee plus I have them do the engine oil LOF change $60 since we are getting a 8inch snow storm in one day and I'm traveling back to Florida Friday or Sat.. only thing I forgot to add now need alignment luckily I have life time from Firestone bought in 1988 so atleast that's free... ugh stealer fees =$ 1200 ouch plus tax minus 10% courtesy ...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. FWIW, I've seen higher prices on those jobs elsewhere,so "it coulda been worse"... The valves DO make that "typewriter" noise, though I've heard others mention that it STARTED after the adjustment (that was kind of my experience). I didn't worry about it since I knew the valves were right (having done it myownself).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Habbyguy, I did have Honda dealer in Central Penn replace both the " front and passenger bad motor mounts and passenger side lower control arm compliance bushing. "

but he sewing machine rattle very noisy on first morning startup. Then back in mid Dec 2020 to same Honda steelership for intake and exhaust valve adjustment $960 first time in 140,000 miles...

Fast forward to now Aug 2021, sewing machine rattle continues on first startup...guessing intake or exhaust valves ? Also I was using Amsoil,, the Dec 2020 steerlership insisted on blend of dinosaur and synthetic oil. Thinking a drive back to Central Penn not possible from Metro Detroit.. What can I try next?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
FWIW, the non-hydraulic lifters aren't really "quiet" in the way most modern engines are - so it's normal to have more "sewing machine noise" than most other cars, particularly at start-up. If it sounds like a hammering, destructive kind of knocking noise, I'd be concerned. If it's a light tapping that goes away after a short time, I wouldn't (at least, not very).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts