Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot figure out any rational reason they would have built this like this 馃槓 anybody know how to get this out without completely tearing apart the whole dash?

Registered
The instructions for the "first replacement" of the cabin filter say to cut out that plastic bar at each end right where it connects into the rest of the dash. Then behind it there is a metal bar that you unbolt. Then you can replace the air filter.

If you get a pic of each end then we can mark where you cut. I used a box cutter. The left side is safe. Be extra careful on the right side. My knife slipped and I cut into the wires in the wire loom very close to it.

I was ultra mad at Honda for not having the factory cut the plastic bar out before the dash was installed, but that's typical Honda.

The car has lots of rattles though, so I am sure it needs the extra stiffness of the metal bar behind the plastic one. And the air filter was driven by the size of the air intake needed to cool and heat such a large car. So there was probably very little they could do to eliminate the metal bar without a big redesign, or bigger uglier dash.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much!! I kinda figured I was going to end up cutting something 馃槀
I had noticed the slotted parts on each end
Thanks again 馃嵒

Registered
WOW, that has to be the first cabin filter change since 2001, if the plastic is not already cut.

Registered
Mine was a "first replacement" on a 2006 about 6 months ago. The carpet of dust on it was being scraped off by the slot I was pulling it out of. Was gross.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The instructions for the "first replacement" of the cabin filter say to cut out that plastic bar at each end right where it connects into the rest of the dash. Then behind it there is a metal bar that you unbolt. Then you can replace the air filter.

If you get a pic of each end then we can mark where you cut. I used a box cutter. The left side is safe. Be extra careful on the right side. My knife slipped and I cut into the wires in the wire loom very close to it.

I was ultra mad at Honda for not having the factory cut the plastic bar out before the dash was installed, but that's typical Honda.

The car has lots of rattles though, so I am sure it needs the extra stiffness of the metal bar behind the plastic one. And the air filter was driven by the size of the air intake needed to cool and heat such a large car. So there was probably very little they could do to eliminate the metal bar without a big redesign, or bigger uglier dash.
Dremel made pretty quick work of it 馃憤

Registered
I cannot figure out any rational reason they would have built this like this 馃槓 anybody know how to get this out without completely tearing apart the whole dash? View attachment 117888
I looked at a video on how to change out that filter on my 2006 MDX I bought as a spare car at my vacation home. Immediately I decided to sell it. What other mistakes did they make that I can't see?

Registered
I looked at a video on how to change out that filter on my 2006 MDX I bought as a spare car at my vacation home. Immediately I decided to sell it. What other mistakes did they make that I can't see?
Most likely an "out of the frying pan, into the fire move". ;-)

Registered
A lot of vehicles have hard to reach air filters. My F150 requires me to pull apart some trim which I broke and had to replace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts