Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2 used MDX's: Which would you buy?

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Blackura 
#1 ·
Option 1: 2003 Base. Black on tan. 3k miles. $33,200.

Option 2: 2002 Base w/ NAV. Granite on Ebony. 30k miles. Tow hitch. $30,000.

#2 ·
Depends on whether NAVI is real important to you, but I would most definitely buy the 2003. Few improvements, better resale, etc.

#3 ·
I dunno what the blue book is on these puppies.

The Navi is a cool option. 30K miles is fairly low, but on the other hand kind of a lot for one year...

I'm suspicious of a car being sold at 3K (the 2003). What happened?

Base with Navi isn't even an available combination any more. I don't know why I'm bringing it up, but the Navi is pretty desirable, whereas there is more debate over the value of the Touring package.

#4 ·
It really depends if you need/want the navi. or not. If no navi. then definetly go for the 2003. However, really double check to make sure that you don't want the navi. some here have doubted themselves for not getting the navi. and retrofitting one aftermarket is quite expensive. But either way, you are getting a X!!
:)

#6 ·
You got pretty good price for both car. The resale value for both car are higher than what you are mention, according to KBB.

You should try to find out if there is any defect on either of them.. and what warranty you will receive. Good luck with your purchase.

#9 ·
Since I don't own a carwash, I'd never own a black...

Will you keep the car for 10 years, or trade it in 2-3? If you are long-term, owning the 02 won't have much impact (you don't care about resale)...

I guess it is nav versus the misc 03 features (VSA, etc)

I hate black...

Ard

PS JMHO, no offense to blackies... :)

#10 ·
JimH said:
2.5 years worth of mileage/wear and tear on a 2002 vs. 3 months on a 2003. I would pick the 2003.
Yeah, I have to agree. The salesman who owned the 2002 must have hit a bad stretch, or he over-leased. While I love the Navi, I must choose the 2003 (of the two).

It won't be long before the vast majority of cars have a navigation system option. Resale without a nav will be a tough sell for a luxury vehicle. DVD is going to be the next big thing after Navi.

#11 ·

The 2003 is the one to go for. 2003's have A) the new 5-speed auto tranny (old ones have a so-so rep) and B) the vehicle stability assist which works great. I tested a Honda Pilot before going for my X and found the Pilot's emergency handling scary w/o stability assist. The Pilot also uses the older tranny, similar to the 2001/2002 X. I opted for the Touring edition mainly for the Bose system, but the Bose is actually quite underwhelming and honestly the ONLY part of my X with which I'm disappointed. Your 2003 base model is the way to go, assuming you have a $5 map in the door panel or already know the way to work. BTW, Nighthawk Black Pearl is the most beautiful color when clean, and if you think about it, no car looks great when dirty. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.