Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a 16 awd-advance, while reading this forum has scared me a bit into looking for another option, it seems like the main problems are hit or miss. A few questions I have that hopefully someone can help with before I go in to the dealership.

With an MSRP around 55,200 and the 17 model just around the corner, how aggressive should the dealers be? Is 10% off realistic?

Will I be able to tell on the test drive if the vehicle I'm driving has the rear-suspension issue or does it come down the road a bit? From what I've read a mildly bumpy road at 35-45 mph should do the trick.

Is the door panel problem something you would walk away from the vehicle for, or just point it out before signing/delivery and have them readjust.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I never liked only having a 10-20 min test drive for something you will have to live with everyday for 3-5yrs. I would download the owner's manual to familiarize myself with the tech. I would ask for an extended test drive or even overnight to really get a feel for the vehicle. I would also take the vehicle on the same route as your daily commute/errands to see the advantages and short comings. I wouldn't expect any discounts other than the normal dealer stuff until the 17 are on the show room floor and/or end of the year sales for the 16 version.

I've always found the best way to deal is to get price quotes from several dealers using the internet sales department. I was able to get my used 11 MDX Adv+Ent 5hrs out of town in another state for a little more as 11 MDX tech in town. I would also check with your bank to see if they have a car buying service or if you have Costco or Sam's membership to check on car prices. Since I did everything with my USAA bank, I just had to drive to the dealership in CO from NM, sign paperwork, and drive home (located the MDX on USAA website, negotiate price over internet, financed with USAA, additional $500 bonus price discount using USAA sponsored sellers).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,
I never test drive. Half an hour around the block and short drive on the freeway won't prove anything to me. I rather depend on various reviews put on by experts. As I posted earlier, I traded '16 MDX Tech for BMW X5. I tried for 3 months to like the new MDX but failed. I'll look at Acura again when their over-all quality is restored to the level of 2nd gen. days. IMO, if your mind is set on MDX, wait little longer and get a 2017. My son is long time BMW M3 driver who admired my old 2008 MDX Tech saying, "Not bad, not bad". He tried 2016 when I took it home in early February, he said, "Dad, this car is not like your old one. What did Acura do?" When I brought BMW X5, he, said, "Good, you made a switch". Wife says, "As long as you don't mess with my car, drive whatever you like", LOL!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hi,
I never test drive. Half an hour around the block and short drive on the freeway won't prove anything to me. I rather depend on various reviews put on by experts. As I posted earlier, I traded '16 MDX Tech for BMW X5. I tried for 3 months to like the new MDX but failed. I'll look at Acura again when their over-all quality is restored to the level of 2nd gen. days. IMO, if your mind is set on MDX, wait little longer and get a 2017. My son is long time BMW M3 driver who admired my old 2008 MDX Tech saying, "Not bad, not bad". He tried 2016 when I took it home in early February, he said, "Dad, this car is not like your old one. What did Acura do?" When I brought BMW X5, he, said, "Good, you made a switch". Wife says, "As long as you don't mess with my car, drive whatever you like", LOL!
With all due respect,perhaps if you had driven the car,you wouldn't have made the financial mistake you made. I have no doubt it would have been cheaper to test drive a car,then to buy it and trade a couple of months later.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
In the market for a 16 awd-advance, while reading this forum has scared me a bit into looking for another option, it seems like the main problems are hit or miss. A few questions I have that hopefully someone can help with before I go in to the dealership.

With an MSRP around 55,200 and the 17 model just around the corner, how aggressive should the dealers be? Is 10% off realistic?

Will I be able to tell on the test drive if the vehicle I'm driving has the rear-suspension issue or does it come down the road a bit? From what I've read a mildly bumpy road at 35-45 mph should do the trick.

Is the door panel problem something you would walk away from the vehicle for, or just point it out before signing/delivery and have them readjust.

Thanks!
Perhaps things have changed, I have never heard of anyone getting over $5,000 off list. Also,on the door panel not being aligned. A service person told me That it would have to go to the body shop. If I had noticed it,I would have walked away from that car. To me sending it to the body shop would mean that at trade in time a sharp eye would think"this door has been replaced". I chose not to fix it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If they let me try for 3 days, then yes. I am willing to pay for the gas I consume. I was loyal, long time MDX driver thinking it can't be that bad
hearing all this mumbo, jumbo.. Got a good deal for 2016. Yes, that was ~$2K mistake. I had more than 5K discount, loyalty, holiday, incentives and crunching number however they did, lowered price by more than 5K. I ordered the during Xmas holiday sales event, delivered in early February. Speaking of 9 speed tranny I never saw it goes up beyond 7th gear no matter what I tried. At low end it just feels like CVT which I hate. Nowadays it is hard to find manual or normal automatic shifts. If one drives a car (s)he does not like, IMO, there is more chance of getting an accident, LOL! My MDX sales guy is top performer for the dealership every year. He himself drives BMW, RDX when he comes to work...I know BMW costs more to maintain after initial warranty runs out, so what? I drive what I want/like. As a result of driving company car over 40 years, I am still hunting the car I like sort of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts