Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 MDX last August with almost 200,000 miles on it. I was downsizing trying to save a payment and gas money. I ended up getting a pretty good deal, I think. Just changed fluids and put on a new timing belt and water pump. Getting new tires and a couple minor fixes next week.
That being said, I really like the MDX! So, my thought is, it should last me another year and a half and then I can give it to my middle son and get myself something newer.
The question is, which is better? A first or second gen MDX? I like this one so much, I think I'll get another! How do they compare as far as reliability? Should I go with a 2005-2006 or maybe a little higher mileage 2007-2009? The reason I don't want to get something too nice, is I'd probably end up giving this next one to my daughter two years after I buy it.
I'd love to hear your input!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
311 Posts
i think your gonna find that people than own a gen1 are gonna tell you a gen 1 is better and same thing with gen 2 owners, unless there is someone here that has owned both?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, im sure all the 1st gen owners are dying to keep the simplistic vtm4 over the shawd,and 30hp deficit, must hate all the hs steel added to the 2nd gen...
Acura actually is bringing the 1st gen back for 2022 i hear.
Of course the 2nd gen is better than the 1st, and the 3rd is better than both of those.
Signed,
2nd gen owner:cool:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah, im sure all the 1st gen owners are dying to keep the simplistic vtm4 over the shawd,and 30hp deficit, must hate all the hs steel added to the 2nd gen...
Acura actually is bringing the 1st gen back for 2022 i hear.
Of course the 2nd gen is better than the 1st, and :cool:the 3rd is better than both of those.
Signed,
2nd gen owner
third gen looks too much like a family station wagon with narrow tires, i personally dont like the look, im a gen 2 owner

·
Registered
80 Posts
Only thing i wish it had was the system that lets it run on 3 cyl for highway cruising. My moms van gets an honest 30mpg, but still runs like a stabbed rat when you ask it to.
Dont think any gen has that.
As for higher mileage units, i bought mine with 140k, has 194k on it now.
Tires, brakes, front struts.
If you're planning on putting your kid in it, the 2nd gen crashes better, has more airbags, and better nanny controls to keep her out of trouble in the 1st place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve owned both.

I owned a 1st gen, 2003 model year, from 2003-2013 (205,000 miles) and I currently own a 2nd gen, 2007 model year (2013- current, 210,000 miles). My wife and I really liked the 1st generation. It’s spacious, comfortable and drives well. It’s not complicated by electronics that routinely fail. Since you already own a 1st gen and appear handy you know what you’re getting with the 1st gen (ie. transmission failures).

The 2nd gen drives more like a truck. It’s heavier and stiffer. MPG is poor 17-23mpg. It doesn’t feel as spacious. It eats batteries and oxygen sensors. However, I like it because it has been mostly trouble-free for over 210,000 miles. My kids have been driving it for the past four years and I feel like it’s a pretty safe and reliable vehicle to get them from point A to point B.

If given the option between a $2000-$3000 gen1 or a $6000-$10000 gen2, I’d personally go with the gen1 if the MDX is going to be staying in the local area. If your kid is going to take the MDX cross country to college I’d feel more comfortable if they were driving a gen2. But that’s based on driving a gen1 with a failing transmission for the final four years that we owned it.

I like your plan of you driving it for a couple years, getting the bugs out of it, then handing it down to your kids. After a couple years you’ll have confidence in the vehicle regardless if it’s a gen1 or gen2. But given the choice between two equally reliable MDX’s I’d choose a gen1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts