Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single key for my '05 MDX. It is pretty warn out, won't turn the ignition switch without a lot of jiggling, manipulation of the steering wheel. I know it's the key itself and not anything electronic. I have the same problem opening the driver-side door.
Dealership closest to me (4 hours away) charges $35 for a new key, with chip and $160/hr to program the chip.
I'm wondering if there's any way to just buy the new key and curtail the charge to program a new chip?
In other words, could I use my existing chipped key in unison with a freshly cut key and still start the engine?
Consider it an emergency situation... living off-grid in the Arizona desert.. Expenses are huge, not to mention long road trips and not being able to turn my car off.
Own the vehicle free and clear. Have thought about just hotwiring it and
adding a toggle switch, but being an Acura, I'm hesitant to do this.
Would love to know if anybody could help.
Thanks!
Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a single key for my '05 MDX. It is pretty warn out, won't turn the ignition switch without a lot of jiggling, manipulation of the steering wheel. I know it's the key itself and not anything electronic. I have the same problem opening the driver-side door.
Dealership closest to me (4 hours away) charges $35 for a new key, with chip and $160/hr to program the chip.
I'm wondering if there's any way to just buy the new key and curtail the charge to program a new chip?
In other words, could I use my existing chipped key in unison with a freshly cut key and still start the engine?
Consider it an emergency situation... living off-grid in the Arizona desert.. Expenses are huge, not to mention long road trips and not being able to turn my car off.
Own the vehicle free and clear. Have thought about just hotwiring it and
adding a toggle switch, but being an Acura, I'm hesitant to do this.
Would love to know if anybody could help.
Thanks!
Nick
I know there's a brake code that can be used without a chipped key, but the dealership pretended like there was no such thing. Just need to turn my engine, really. Love Hondas, but hate all the b.s. in between :/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the chances of your car being stolen?
I could provide the address lol.
Chance of it being stolen: maybe 1%. Chance of someone keeping it, 0% hahaha. No, I'm so far off-grid, would take a lot for someone to do that. Especially if I'm sleeping in the back lol ; )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts