Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 MDX Advance
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2010 MDX, with 19" rims, without even thinking about the rim size, until after I added the hitch and found out a 19" full size spare will not fit, but an 18" will. I cannot pull a trailer without a full size spare.

Is it a big deal to change to 18" rims from 19"?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
This is a hitch issue. The OEM Acura hitch will accommodate both stock tires sizes, but many aftermarket hitches will not. Also FYI, the 18" and 19" tires in stock configuration (255/50-19 vs 255/55-18) are identical in total diameter (29.04") and width (10.04") so there would be no difference mounting them anyway.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have the OEM hitch and my 19" OEM rim fits with a 255/50/19 tire. I think only a donut spare can fit with some aftermarket hidden hitches. Some folks let some air out of the full size spare to fit and have a 12v air compressor if they need to use the tire on the road.

Reactions: 75Blazer

·
Registered
798 Posts
Some folks let some air out of the full size spare to fit and have a 12v air compressor if they need to use the tire on the road.
This can certainly be a workaround and in some OEM cars this is also how it's done. However in the case of MDX where the spare tire is exposed to the elements, it wouldn't be as optimal for owners living in the salt/snow states as the rim can pickup salt corrosion not allowing the tire to bead properly on the rim when it comes time to reinflate it. If you're not in a snow state though, it could be a good solution.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
This can certainly be a workaround and in some OEM cars this is also how it's done. However in the case of MDX where the spare tire is exposed to the elements, it wouldn't be as optimal for owners living in the salt/snow states as the rim can pickup salt corrosion not allowing the tire to bead properly on the rim when it comes time to reinflate it. If you're not in a snow state though, it could be a good solution.
Too many things that could go wrong with compressor and deflated tire scenario. I would bite the bullet and just upgrade to an OEM or aftermarket hitch that can take a full size spare. I have a full size spares for all three vehicles and needed them from time to time. I saw a guy last week and I don't know how someone can drive 75 mph on hwy with a donut spare on the car?

·
Registered
2010 MDX Advance
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like all I have to do is get a new rim and tire to match what's on there.

So far, I added running boards, window and moonroof air deflectors, enrolled Sirius/XM, OEM hitch, new Michelins all around, cargo mat, cargo cover, cargo net, fixed bent door, took it to dealer for total fluid change and general inspection, no issues other than oil level sensor covered by warranty.

Took it up to Rollins Pass on an old railroad bed that goes over the Continental Divide west of Denver, took it camping, guess I'll keep it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I went on eBay and purchased a single used Conti DWS 06 tire for about $83 with about 85-90% tread to use as my spare (shipping was free).

Reactions: kghjr
1 - 8 of 8 Posts