Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, does anyone know the wheel load rating for the 19" OEM Tech wheel? I'm contemplating replacing mine with some other Honda wheels that are identical specs to my stock except possibly the load rating. The Honda wheel is rated at 1521 lbs which seems OK based upon the GAWR but it would be real nice to know if the OEM Tech real was real close to this number. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My 2 cents:

The GAWR reflects a static car. You have to take the gross weight, add maybe 10 - 15% as a safety factor, then multiply by the weight ratio % front to rear and divide by two. That weight is STATIC weight on the front and back. Add in weight transfers during braking, cornering, hitting a bump while braking and cornering then you'll have something close to the what the factory engineers envisioned. Without working in the industry it is hard to know what kind of a fudge factor they were using. You can take the tire size and see what the sidewall shows at the max pressure and that will give you a clue what they used for tires. Keep in mind that tires flex on bumps, and are replaced every few years. Rims are not. They have to last the life of the car.

·
Registered
961 Posts
FYI - From Tirerack.com

Proper size is more than a round wheel of an exact diameter. To properly fit on a vehicle the wheel must have the proper bolt pattern, centerbore, offset, width and load capacity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
FYI - From Tirerack.com

Proper size is more than a round wheel of an exact diameter. To properly fit on a vehicle the wheel must have the proper bolt pattern, centerbore, offset, width and load capacity.
Yes, I agree and the wheel I'm considering based on looks is the 2016-17 Honda Accord Sport 19" wheel, which is 19"x8", 5x114.3 bolt pattern, 64.1 centerbore, 55MM offset so it is identical (except possibly a load rating difference) to the MDX 19" OEM wheel. Considering my MDX is black, I think these would look great. I had a friend mock-up a photo to get a rough idea of what this would look like and that picture is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Needs a larger diameter tire. Doesn’t fill the wheel well as it is, currently. Otherwise wheel style looks nice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Needs a larger diameter tire. Doesn’t fill the wheel well as it is, currently. Otherwise wheel style looks nice.
I don't disagree that a 20" would probably look better but staying with 19" makes financial sense for me at the moment as my existing 19" tires only have about 10K miles on them. That, and these wheels are JWL and VIA certified replicas so they can be bought new for much less than OEM. While they do offer 20" versions of these wheels, I have yet to receive confirmation that the 20" versions are JWL and VIA certified.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure what your budget is, but after my purchase of my 2018 I bought 22's, replacing the 20's. One of the 20's I use as the spare. The cost was $1800 delivered on a pallet ready to mount. It will look impeccable and knocked the max load to 1800 lbs per corner. It's will also make your MDX a one of a kind in you area and will turn heads.

You didn't say what year your's is, the GEN 3 bolt pattern is 5 X 120.

GEN 1 & 2 are 5 X 114.3 as your stated.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm not sure what your budget is, but after my purchase of my 2018 I bought 22's, replacing the 20's. One of the 20's I use as the spare. The cost was $1800 delivered on a pallet ready to mount. It will look impeccable and knocked the max load to 1800 lbs per corner. It's will also make your MDX a one of a kind in you area and will turn heads.
Yes/no. Wheels that don't match the Acura styling tend to look like poop, to me. Don't ruin your vehicle with crappy aftermarket wheels -- and MOST aftermarket wheels are crappy.

You didn't say what year your's is, the GEN 3 bolt pattern is 5 X 120.

GEN 1 & 2 are 5 X 114.3 as your stated.
That is not accurate.

Gen 1 (2001-2006) is 5x114.3.
Gen 2 (2007-2013) is 5x120.
Gen 3v1 (2014-2016) is 5x114.3.
Gen 3x2 (2017+) is 5x120.

·
Registered
741 Posts
we see it in the vw bus community too. New owner wants to know what wheels he/she can use to be different and the next owner says they got a deal cause they wouldn't pay for custom wheels and where do they get a factory set. The first owner either goes broke making payments, or gets tired of keeping the original set around, and his wife telling him to get them out of the garage. low profile tires don't last either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.