Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I cannot get my homelink buttons to program to my garage door openers and its super frustrating.

I have Overhead Door Odyssey 1000 openers and I have followed the directions on this link to a "T" - https://www.overheaddoor.com/blog/Pages/programming-newer-garage-door-openers-to-homelink.aspx

For the life of me I cannot get the homelink button to rapidly flash to enter it into learn mode.

I get the door remote to change to red and then continue to hold the button down until the light turn both green and red, then holding it close to the homelink buttons - I press the corresponding homelink button, it flashes slowly, but then turns solid, it never blink rapidly, no matter what I try.

I have the doors programmed on all my other cars - GM's, Cadillac, Honda - but cannot get this Acura MDX to work.

I have tried it outside in the driveway, I have tried inside the garage parked right underneath the door openers...…..I even had my wife try to do it to no avail.....

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Operator? do you mean the 3 button remote or the opener in the garage or something in the Acura?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine took a few tries. And my BMW took a few days... I kept having to hold the 1st and 3rd buttons and then hit the button on the back of my garage door motor and then hold the button. When it did finally work I could only get 1 button programmed on my BMW. Then the third day it just all clicked and I got all 3 set, can't explain it but I was very annoyed with the whole process.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've had difficulty with this in other vehicles but it worked successfully in my 19 MDX on the very first try.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
Operator? do you mean the 3 button remote or the opener in the garage or something in the Acura?
He is having trouble getting the homelink unit in the car to sync to his remote. The homelink will flash red rapidly to confirm the sync as well as every time it is pressed once it has grabbed the signal from the remote and stored it. From there most modern garage door openers have to be put in "learning" mode in order to sync up with the HomeLink unit in the car. Since HomeLink is a 3rd party vendor the product operates pretty much universally across all vehicle manufacturers that offer it. Besides Honda/Acura I have had it in Volvo, Ford, & Chrysler cars and it all works exactly the same. Since some people process audio or video instructions better than written, here is a link to HomeLink's youtube instruction video. Pressing the buttons in the right order within the time restraint is critical. If you continue having trouble maybe try having your salesperson or a service writer at your dealership give it a try to eliminate user error or show product failure.

One suggestion...instead of holding down your garage remote button try push/release repeating several times while holding down the HomeLink button in programming mode. I once had one that was challenging and holding the button down on my remote I believe was only sending the signal once and if the Homelink didn't catch it that first time you could hold it down all you want and nothing was going to change. Once I tried the push/release method several times it took.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You do not/cannot program via a remote. There will be a small usually red button on the operator, yes thats the correct name for the motor that opens and closes the door. You must press thst red button, which puts the control board into program mode.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You do not/cannot program via a remote. There will be a small usually red button on the operator, yes thats the correct name for the motor that opens and closes the door. You must press thst red button, which puts the control board into program mode.
If it's a newer garage door opener with rolling codes then what u describe is right: u first have to program the remote with homelink in the car and then you need to push learn on the opener and go back to the car and program the opener to recognize ur car.

Older systems you don't need to worry about the learn button on the opener as its not a rolling code opener

·
Registered
548 Posts
Basically all operators made in the last 15 years or so have employed rolling code technology. So the chances OP does not have a rolling code operator are pretty slim.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If it's a newer garage door opener with rolling codes then what u describe is right: u first have to program the remote with homelink in the car and then you need to push learn on the opener and go back to the car and program the opener to recognize ur car.

Older systems you don't need to worry about the learn button on the opener as its not a rolling code opener

I have found that even though there is a learn button usually on the wall mounted button. Only the one on the actual opener works.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a Genie garage door opener, and couldn't get my last car to program via the Homelink. I ended up calling Genie and found out that the opener unit could only store 6 or 7 different vehicles or remotes. I had to clear the memory and then reprogram all of my current cars and remotes that I wanted to use. No problem after doing that.

I had purchased this house preowned and have no idea how many other cars from the previous owner were in the memory.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a Genie garage door opener, and couldn't get my last car to program via the Homelink. I ended up calling Genie and found out that the opener unit could only store 6 or 7 different vehicles or remotes. I had to clear the memory and then reprogram all of my current cars and remotes that I wanted to use. No problem after doing that.

I had purchased this house preowned and have no idea how many other cars from the previous owner were in the memory.
Good catch, this will be helpful for others as well I'm sure. 6 or 7 isn't that many if the home has had multiple owners and each owner has multiple vehicles and/or changes vehicles a few times.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help so far - but I still cannot get the MDX to program.

I tried it again the other night - this time following the Acura instructions, which are a little different then the Overhead door instructions, but still could not get it to work.

The openers are less then 5 years old, so they definitely have rolling codes and I have programed Homelink on our Caddy and also in our Pilot, so its not like I do not have a clue how to program a Homelink system, but for the life of me, I cannot get the Acura to work.

As for the 6 or 7 different Vehicles programmed, these should only have 4 or 5 if you count the wireless keypad outside, so I don't think that is the issue, unless you also count the remotes that come with the openers ?

I have 3 doors, so each opener is programmed to 3 remotes and currently 2 Homelinks and 1 keypad - I did have my Malibu Homelink programmed, before I sold it, so if all of those count, then I would have 6, but I would not think that the remotes that come with them count, but you may know better.

At this point, I will try anything.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Did you repeatedly pushing the button on your remote while holding down the HomeLink button in the car? When I was having difficulty with mine that's how I got it to take. It was like my remote was only sending the signal once when the button was pushed instead of a continuous signal so pushing the remote button multiple times finally got the HomeLink to "grab" it.

You could also try having someone at the dealership help you. Sometimes just a different set of eyes helps, and once the HomeLink has synced with your opener remote you can do the 2nd part when you get home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you repeatedly pushing the button on your remote while holding down the HomeLink button in the car? When I was having difficulty with mine that's how I got it to take. It was like my remote was only sending the signal once when the button was pushed instead of a continuous signal so pushing the remote button multiple times finally got the HomeLink to "grab" it.

You could also try having someone at the dealership help you. Sometimes just a different set of eyes helps, and once the HomeLink has synced with your opener remote you can do the 2nd part when you get home.
I will try this later today or tomorrow before the Super Bowl - Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts