Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I purchased a new 2017 AWD MDX w/ Adv pkg in October. During purchase, I added the scheduled maintenance pkg offered for $1800/4 yrs; I have 5 days left to cancel and get a full refund.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good price. I believe this can be used at any dealership as the dealer mentioned this is offered by Acura.

I would really appreciate your input

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'd cancel. They don't offer these things out of the good of their heart. They sell them to make money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
48,000 miles. Tires are not included. This only includes the scheduled factory maintenance. Does anyone have an estimate on how much the maintenance would cost?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So maintenance is basically oil changes if you priced very aggressively @ $100/change 5k miles each you are still upside down. I asked about miles because I do 40-42k a year, which means I would be on top of them on oil changes alone, if miles were unlimited. Your situation makes me agree with p07r0457 tell them I would like my $ back. And happy holidays Too

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
These things are usually a rip-off. I wouldn't buy either prepaid maintenance or an extended warranty.

In the first 4 years/48k miles your MDX needs hardly any maintenance. There'll be about 6 oil changes (assuming you actually put 48k miles on it in that timeframe), diff and trans oil changes, some tire rotations, and that's about it other than the 'inspections' which usually take them just a few minutes to do, assuming they do them at all.

I change the oil/filter and rotate the tires myself. The oil/filter change using Mobile 1 full synthetic is about $30 a go for me for the Acura filter plus the Mobile 1 oil. The oil for the other items doesn't cost much either. Rotating the tires doesn't cost me anything and I inspect the brakes while rotating the tires. I'm beyond 4 years and somewhat under 48k miles and my brake pads are still fine - haven't needed to replace them. I don't know if your prepaid plan would cover brakes even if they needed to be replaced.

If you're not inclined to do any of this yourself, see how much your dealer would charge for the individual items to see if it makes sense. Of course, you can probably have another mechanic do the service cheaper than the dealer.

And then if for some reason you sell the vehicle or it's stolen/totaled, what happens to the prepaid maintenance fee you paid? Do you lose it or is there some refund?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These things are usually a rip-off. I wouldn't buy either prepaid maintenance or an extended warranty.

In the first 4 years/48k miles your MDX needs hardly any maintenance. There'll be about 6 oil changes (assuming you actually put 48k miles on it in that timeframe), diff and trans oil changes, some tire rotations, and that's about it other than the 'inspections' which usually take them just a few minutes to do, assuming they do them at all.

I change the oil/filter and rotate the tires myself. The oil/filter change using Mobile 1 full synthetic is about $30 a go for me for the Acura filter plus the Mobile 1 oil. The oil for the other items doesn't cost much either. Rotating the tires doesn't cost me anything and I inspect the brakes while rotating the tires. I'm beyond 4 years and somewhat under 48k miles and my brake pads are still fine - haven't needed to replace them. I don't know if your prepaid plan would cover brakes even if they needed to be replaced.

If you're not inclined to do any of this yourself, see how much your dealer would charge for the individual items to see if it makes sense. Of course, you can probably have another mechanic do the service cheaper than the dealer.

And then if for some reason you sell the vehicle or it's stolen/totaled, what happens to the prepaid maintenance fee you paid? Do you lose it or is there some refund?
Hi,

I am not planning to do the oil changes myself. The maintenance plan does not include brakes. It covers Oil & Filter changes, air intake filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation, automatic transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, brake fluid and differential fluid.I can cancel later and get some kind of time/proration refund after 60 days i.e. if vehicle is sold or totaled or for any other reason.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hondas/Acuras are quite cheap to maintain. Especially the things you cited that they would cover. Refund time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
48,000 miles. Tires are not included. This only includes the scheduled factory maintenance. Does anyone have an estimate on how much the maintenance would cost?
Acura knows. Less then $1800.
I have a hybrid. The 4 year 48,000 cost me $1005. There is no rear differential on it.
I can tell you that I paid about $1300 for 50,000 miles of maintenance on my 14.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
1800 bucks for those? Completely Bananas...
But honestly if you have to let the dealership do this for you?? Better take the deal... Dealership Labor Prices are what rapes you in the end so its probably a bargain.

I personally pay for 1 year or 15K Service:
35dlls for Engine Oil in a Year (Since I do yearly oil changes) using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30
24 bucks for Engine Oil Filter (2x per year) using K&N white can filter / Mobil 1 EP filter
32 bucks for DW-1 ATF change
So it sums up: 91 bucks per year for regular Maintenance.

Now the 2nd year (Lets call it the 30K Service due to the Transfer and SH-AWD fluids) I do:
Same as 15K +
Clean Air Filter (K&N Washable): FREE or "more like I do not know how to assign a cost to this anymore?"
ATF Change 3x3 (More like 4x3) : 96 bucks which is totally MY THING not a regular maintenance schedule.
Transfer Case oil change: 9dlls for 1q of Mobil 1 LS 75W-90
SH-AWD fluid change: 27dlls for 3q of AWD DPSF.
So every 2 years or 30K it sums up: 191dlls (Which includes the 15K Service).

So in 4 years I waste in maintenance:
564 bucks... And that is going bonkers on ATF Changes...
If I went by the book it would be far less for ATF, Since I save up on labor I can change the ATF how I want it anyway.
Also since the transfer case uses less than 1q of gear fluid I can totally save 2 halfs and do the 3rd change for free!

I probably missed the cabin air filter but I do not have a hardcore schedule for it, I change it when I remember it exists.. Since its so cheap it wont affect the bottom line anyway.

So 1800 bucks? Yeahhhhh I don´t think I can make that in regular maintenance for my MDX and TL-S anddd my Wife´s Bimmer combined in 4 years.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hi,

I am not planning to do the oil changes myself. The maintenance plan does not include brakes. It covers Oil & Filter changes, air intake filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation, automatic transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, brake fluid and differential fluid.I can cancel later and get some kind of time/proration refund after 60 days i.e. if vehicle is sold or totaled or for any other reason.
Because of the maintenance minder, there is no set mileage interval for most service items. However, I can make some educated projections for what maintenance is likely to be needed in the first 4 years. I've used the price matrix from my local Acura dealer to compile these costs. For what it's worth, I think my local Acura dealer is outrageously expensive... so I view this as a "high" estimate.

7,500 mi:
$69.95 oil change
$29.95 tire rotation
=====
$99.90

15,000 mi:
$69.95 oil change
$29.95 tire rotation
$139.95 rear differential fluid
=====
$239.85

22,500 mi:
$69.95 oil change
$29.95 tire rotation
=====
$99.90

30,000 mi:
$69.95 oil change
$29.95 tire rotation
$139.95 replace brake fluid
$159.95 replace engine air filter, cabin air filter
=====
$399.80

37,500 mi:
$69.95 oil change
$29.95 tire rotation
=====
$99.90

45,000 mi:
$69.95 oil change
$29.95 tire rotation
$399.95 transmission fluid exchange
=====
$499.85

Total projected cost over 48,000 miles for regular maintenance at dealer: $1,439.20. So even at the outrageous pricing that my local Acura dealer charges, you're better off paying for maintenance yourself, and not doing the plan that they sell.

Things get even better if you get smarter with where you get services performed. For example, use a Honda dealer instead of the Acura dealer. The Pilot is essentially the same as the MDX, for maintenance purposes, so their technicians are equally-well equipped to service your MDX.

When I recompute the list using typical Honda pricing the total cost drops to $944.20 over 48k miles.

7,500 mi:
$39.95 oil change
$19.95 tire rotation
=====
$59.90

15,000 mi:
$39.95 oil change
$19.95 tire rotation
$124.95 rear differential fluid
=====
$184.85

22,500 mi:
$39.95 oil change
$19.95 tire rotation
=====
$59.90

30,000 mi:
$39.95 oil change
$19.95 tire rotation
$89.95 replace brake fluid
$129.95 replace engine air filter, cabin air filter
=====
$279.80

37,500 mi:
$39.95 oil change
$19.95 tire rotation
=====
$59.90

45,000 mi:
$39.95 oil change
$19.95 tire rotation
$169.95 transmission fluid exchange
=====
$299.85

Of course you save even more if you DIY... But the point is that even if you want a dealer to do everything, it's still best to pay-as-you-go.

Reactions: phins2rt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much for taking the time and providing so much insight into this. I will cancel my maintenance plan tomorrow and get the refund. The Honda tip is a $ saver too; I will consider it, hopefully it doesn't affect warranty in any way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good call on cancelling.

Nobody offers a warranty unless they are making beaucoup bucks! Home Warranty, Car Warranty, Appliance Warranty...

Youtube is your friend. Some basic tools (including a torque wrench!), this forum and a bit of bravery or a knowledgeable friend will cover all the standard maintenance your SUV will need.

Cheers.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time and providing so much insight into this. I will cancel my maintenance plan tomorrow and get the refund. The Honda tip is a $ saver too; I will consider it, hopefully it doesn't affect warranty in any way.
They will probably give you a lower offer. Give them a counter offer of $800 and see if they bite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts