Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 base model with 17" wheels. I wanted to changes my wheels to black ones so I was thinking about buying new ones in 18". But I'm in a bit of dilemma, I purchased brand new tires and I don't want to spend another 6-700 on new tires again.

Is it really worth switching to 18"? Would it look weird on my car if I just bought nice 17" wheels? To me the 17" looks kinda small. And also when I was reading the reviews on the wheels, almost everyone I read put them on sedans. I don't want them to bend on me if my cars too heavy for the wheels.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am in the same boat as you, I just bought very expensive tires and although it drives better because I needed them, I don't like like the looks of the 17 inch wheels on my touring model (I hate the 17 inch rims on the base model even more though) what I was thinking about doing is keeping my rim and tires and use them as a winter tire (I got all season tires that are supposedly good in the snow) and then buy some 18 inch acura rdx rims off eBay or somewhere else, they look nice on all the other X's in the forums!! Search forums for acura rdx rim on mdx. And then get the tpms sensors made compatible for the older X by your Acura delaer(I believe there always was a variation between the first gen X's and other Acura autos with the tpms sensors) then get either some used good tires such as michelin, Goodyear triple tread, or Continental extreme contact DWS the rims are direct bolt ons so you should be fine!
Good luck and happy modding!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole thing is I want to avoid buying any tires, I literally bought these brand new for 700 bucks about 2 months ago maybe. My second problem is that the rims that I am looking at, all of the reviews are people who put them on sedans. Will it be strong enough for my suv?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I literally bought these brand new for 700 bucks about 2 months ago maybe. My second problem is that the rims that I am looking at, all of the reviews are people who put them on sedans. Will it be strong enough for my suv?
$700 for 17" tires? :eek: Yikes. I recommend shopping at a different tire store. $175/ea for 235/65/17 tires is way too expensive. As an example, Tirerack.com has several Sumitomo, Kuhmo, and Continental tires below or around $100/ea (235/65/17).

And if the shop sold you on "performance", there's not much performance in a 235/65/17 tire.

That being said, yes, you'll need to find a wheel (and tire) that can handle the weight of an SUV. I think 19" look best on the 1G MDX. Here are my 19's:

Above are MRR Design HR2s; we're looking to put a set of 20" HR2's on our 2016 MDX. Online wheel shops like Wheel Studio, Element Wheels, Wheel Max, etc. offer many options for the MDX.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Going with bigger wheels / shorter tires is all a matter of choosing your poison. All other things being equal, shorter sidewalls on your tires means that you'll lose some ride quality, but that your MDX will probably handle better. I think the 18" is a good option - looks better without giving up much in the way of road noise and ride quality. Really short sidewalls also mean that it's a LOT easier to scrape up the rims on a curb.

If it was my vehicle, I'd probably get the 18" wheels and tires I really wanted, and then sell the 17" wheels and tires on craigslist or Ebay. You might not end up out all that much money when the dust settles.

FYI, here's a photo of my 18" wheels (and the nasty, hard-riding tires that came on the vehicle when I bought it, since replaced with a new set of Nittos).

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just wanted to know if it will look ugly/small if I upgraded my rims, and by upgrade I mean just get better rims than the factory Acura rims. Something like these rims...
I honestly don't think you're going to be happy with the look of 17" aftermarkets. (my 2 cents)

From an economics standpoint, you're spending an extra $600+ on wheels that you may or may not desire to justify the $700 spent on tires.

I'd sell the 17's and get a set of wheels that you can enjoy.

As far as ride quality, I personally find zero loss in ride quality with my 19s.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll just plasti dip my rims. I can't justify spending an extra 1200 for new wheels and tires on a 05. If my car was newer I would've def done it, but 1200 is a bit steep for me.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
As far as ride quality, I personally find zero loss in ride quality with my 19s.
That's a common perception, but it's usually got more to do with replacing hard, worn out 17's with nice, new 19's. New tires ride a whole lot better than worn out tires, so often the differences balance out.

But all other things being equal, it is inescapable that the more sidewall between the ground and your rims, the more road noise will be absorbed. That doesn't mean that every 19" tire is noisier than every 17" tire, but that a given model of 19" tire is going to be noisier than the same model of 17" tire.

My Jeep Cherokee has 31" tires (taller than my MDX tires) on 15" rims, which is done because you really NEED tall sidewalls on a vehicle that's going to be crawling over rocks and logs. Even with the "less than modern" suspension (two straight axles) on the Jeep, a lot less "road thump" gets through to the cockpit than my MDX. That's not to say the Jeep "rides better", but that the tires on the Jeep isolate road imperfections better than the tires with much shorter sidewalls on my MDX.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's a common perception, but it's usually got more to do with replacing hard, worn out 17's with nice, new 19's. New tires ride a whole lot better than worn out tires, so often the differences balance out.

But all other things being equal, it is inescapable that the more sidewall between the ground and your rims, the more road noise will be absorbed. That doesn't mean that every 19" tire is noisier than every 17" tire, but that a given model of 19" tire is going to be noisier than the same model of 17" tire.

My Jeep Cherokee has 31" tires (taller than my MDX tires) on 15" rims, which is done because you really NEED tall sidewalls on a vehicle that's going to be crawling over rocks and logs. Even with the "less than modern" suspension (two straight axles) on the Jeep, a lot less "road thump" gets through to the cockpit than my MDX. That's not to say the Jeep "rides better", but that the tires on the Jeep isolate road imperfections better than the tires with much shorter sidewalls on my MDX.
I agree. You undoubtedly hear more noise from your 31's tread than you do on your MDX, but that's an acceptable tradeoff given your Jeep's off-road prowess.

It's all subjective anyway because when we bought our 2016 MDX, I took over our 2006 MDX as my primary vehicle and have a Hyundai Veloster as my commuter car. I've never driven an SUV on a daily basis, so I want more road feel as I'm used to smaller cars. I think we all have a penchant for certain dynamics and make decisions based on those preferences.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sERKZ, I completely agree, buying new rims for an older car (even though mine's got 80,000 miles) is just too crazy, 40 dollars of plasti dip is much more justifiable, no matter how great big rims would look. Just beware of buying tires from costco, they have lower tread life and seem to have less tread life than some used tires (they are called club tires)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Boston, you're absolutely right (assuming the components are worn, of course). I swapped out my control arms and all the front end bushings about the same time I got my new tires, just so the 160,000 mile MDX would drive like a new one, which it pretty much does.

But drive//, if you look around long enough, you can find a good deal on some nice wheels and tires for your MDX that will have you enjoying it more than ever. Factor in selling your existing wheels and tires to recover some of the cost, and chances are it's really not an expensive upgrade.

And Type34, yes, the tread on my Cherokee's tires are a bit knobbier than the Nittos on my MDX, but they're really still fairly quiet for tires that will do as well off-road as they do. And like I said, they're still a lot quieter going over road seams and bumps than the MDX tires, even with the caveman suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts