Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys getting a 18 hyrid.. debating if I should go with Acura link vs viper cell remote start?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I have 17 hybrid. Remote start is STD equipment.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The advantage with Viper system (depending on version) is longer range compared to the line of sight Acura remote start. I could see the advantage of having the Viper system and starting your MDX if it is sitting in airport parking for 1-2 week if you are out of town. The Viper system could be handy at a park-n-ride lot and you wanted to start the MDX to heat/cool it off while you're still miles out on the bus and/or /train.

Acuralink remote start isn't available for the 3rd Gen MDXs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
AcuraLink is about as handy as a trap door in a row boat. It has NO remote start for the 2018 hybrid MDX. You have to use the key fob for "remote" (which is also pretty much hit and miss, even when the vehicle is in the driveway, 25 feet away.)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
AcuraLink is about as handy as a trap door in a row boat. It has NO remote start for the 2018 hybrid MDX. You have to use the key fob for "remote" (which is also pretty much hit and miss, even when the vehicle is in the driveway, 25 feet away.)
AcuraLink is a subscription. I don’t like the idea of a subscription for remote start. The remote FOB works fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
AcuraLink is a subscription. I don’t like the idea of a subscription for remote start. The remote FOB works fine.
My two previous cars offered remote start via fob or phone app. The latter was only with a paid subscription, after a free trial, which seems to be the norm for any brand currently offering this feature. When landing at O'Hare during cold weather, I would send a start command once I was off the plane and near the terminal exit. This gave the cars ~10 minutes to warm up, defrost windows,... before I climbed into the driver seat. If the OP is remotely interested in doing something like this (pun intended) obviously the fob won't do. Nor does mine work from the tram, when arriving at the station and having a line of sight to the MDX.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My two previous cars offered remote start via fob or phone app. The latter was only with a paid subscription, after a free trial, which seems to be the norm for any brand currently offering this feature. When landing at O'Hare during cold weather, I would send a start command once I was off the plane and near the terminal exit. This gave the cars ~10 minutes to warm up, defrost windows,... before I climbed into the driver seat. If the OP is remotely interested in doing something like this (pun intended) obviously the fob won't do. Nor does mine work from the tram, when arriving at the station and having a line of sight to the MDX.
This isn't an option on the 3rd Gen MDX. The AcuraLink/smart phone enabled remote start only came into play with the new RDX. The 3rd Gen MDX still uses keyfob for remote start. Which is fine with me because as was pointed out it doesn't require a subscription. Range is actually pretty good on my 19, I can start the vehicle several hundred feet away no problem. It has a 10 minute run time at which point if you don't turn on ignition it will turn off. You can do the sequence again however before the 10 mins expires to extend it for another 10 minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts