Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is not winter and it is probably automotive blasphemy to mention winter tires in the middle of June. I did do a search on the site and it appears as people have put 17" tires on the 2G MDX.

My concern is whether it is permissible to do so. May sound like a stupid question, but in all my previous cars, including SUVs, any tire size that can fit, whether bigger or smaller, is listed on the door jamb, manual, etc.

However for my 2G MDX, both my manual and door jamb mention only 18" tires.

I have a set of 235/65/17s that came off my old Volvo and I would only need new rims (though I may not use them because my Volvo had alignment and AWD problems so I am not sure about the wear on the tires). I try to be proactive so if 17" winter tires will work I would rather get them in the late summer/early fall while the prices remain low and there is stock.

Since the MDX will clearly be my winter car of choice, I would like to know if there is any documentation that indicates 17" tires can be used on the MDX and if so, what sizes? Also, pros and cons of using a smaller tire, aside from the obvious pro of being cheaper price-wise.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is exactly the same insinuation i found myself in when we got our 13 MDX

First off, the dealer recommended 17" and was quite eager to sell me a winter pkg of rims and tires.

Thing is... I had a nearly new set of 17" General Ultimax winters from the Chevy i just replaced with the MDX... SWEET..!
So I took the tires off and sold the steely rims, and found some awesome aluminium rims on kijiji ... added sensors from Ebay
removed the Cadillac logo from the rims, added Acura logo caps and Voila..!!!!

Drove all winter... what a set-up..!! add SH-AWD and never had such a surefooted winter....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My family has (thrown) ALOT of $$ away on various vehicles throughout the years, and I can conclude with 100% conviction, that none of these vehicles (even the German one's costing nearly twice as much!) can compare to a 2nd gen Acura MDX with SH-AWD equipped with a set of quality winter rated tires- the end result is simply a highly-rigid body surefooted beast in the snow!!!...it's like the perfect driving specimen for the unforgiving, Midwest Winters :29:

...I do NOT get the same sense of confidence/security with a 2014-2017 MDX (built like a big, unstable, bulky, awkward soccer mom behemoth).

·
Registered
961 Posts
For my 1st gen, I bought new Honda Odyssey 16" steel wheels (I think they were about 55 bucks each with discount) and mounted 75 series snows in a narrower width. Total diameter was within 1/2 inch of the stock 17's. I have been very happy with the setup. I really like getting the alloy wheels off during road salt season so they don't get etched.

I would guess that there is rim with a good fit from Odyssey or Pilot.

I don't have pix of the MDX with snowshoes, but this is my CRV outfitted the same way.

I actually keep the snows on during Waverunner season, because they give much better traction on boat ramps.

And, the Cop Car look ain't too bad either.:wink:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Use the "specs" section at tirerack dot com.
Choose to search by tire size, then enter the size you have, then specs.
Next choose to shop by vehicle, then choose 17", and look at those specs.

You want to keep the "height" within 1/4" and the width within 1/2".

·
Registered
263 Posts
I ran 17" winter tires on steel rims on my 2009 and now on my 2013. Both the dealer and Toyo recommended this set up. The higher profile on the winter tires means the circumference of the 17" is almost the same as the circumference of the lower profile 18" 3-season tires, so nothing is thrown off.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Tire rack recommenda 245/65/17 and 235/65/17. Which one have you used on your vehicle? Because both can be used is there an advantage of using one over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can say my Ridgeline with brand new Bridgestone Winterforce tires was complete overkill for a New England winter. There was so much grip in the snow, it was almost boring. I ended up selling the winters because they were just unnecessary. However the RL had VTM-4, I expect the SH-AWD to perform better. To the RLs advantage was the regular tires were LTX M+S Michelin's which are a bit more aggressive then typical MDX tires.

I have Bridgestone Duelers Alenza Plus on the X now. Never had them in snow, but they seem more like the LTX MS as far as tread. However, I have had nothing but vibration issues with these tires. If the only solution is going back to the milder Latitudes, I may be looking at another set of winter rims/tires for the snow.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I can say my Ridgeline with brand new Bridgestone Winterforce tires was complete overkill for a New England winter. There was so much grip in the snow, it was almost boring. I ended up selling the winters because they were just unnecessary. However the RL had VTM-4, I expect the SH-AWD to perform better. To the RLs advantage was the regular tires were LTX M+S Michelin's which are a bit more aggressive then typical MDX tires.

I have Bridgestone Duelers Alenza Plus on the X now. Never had them in snow, but they seem more like the LTX MS as far as tread. However, I have had nothing but vibration issues with these tires. If the only solution is going back to the milder Latitudes, I may be looking at another set of winter rims/tires for the snow.
I put those Bridgestones on one of our fleet, unbeknownst to my wife, and the next time she drove it, she asked me what the heck was wrong with the car. Vibrating like crazy. So not a fan. Discount Tire "took em back" and we put Michelin Premier LTX on it and all was well.

I put Michelin Defender LTX M/S on another member of the fleet, to replace worn out Contis, and they are fine. They look "truckish" with the blocky sidewall, but they ride and handle like any other Michelin tire and they seem solid on unpaved surfaces. Probably good in the "shoulder" seasons when the winter tires aren't installed.

We have sets of snow tires and wheels for the whole fleet, Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 or DM-V2 and Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 SUV. Maybe overkill, but ridiculously secure in the worst winter slop and ice. AWD is good, but winter tires take it to the next level.

I found the Michelin Latitudes terrifying on ice. They got me started buying winter tires again. No joke.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It's that time of the year again- hope the Midwest Winter isn't too bad, even if it is, anyone owning a 2nd gen Acura MDX with SH-AWD and some snow rated tires should be adequately prepared :29:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Since the MDX will clearly be my winter car of choice, I would like to know if there is any documentation that indicates 17" tires can be used on the MDX and if so, what sizes? Also, pros and cons of using a smaller tire, aside from the obvious pro of being cheaper price-wise.
thegazelle,
I have the following on my MDX, 2009 Honda Ridgeline 17" Wheels, OEM TPM Sensors.

I'll get you the tire size after work, they are Bridgestone Blizzak DVM-2 bought at my local Costco.

I was lucky enough to find a set of Ridgeline wheels locally on KIJIJI for a steel of a deal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.