Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possibly trading in our 09 MDX which has been flawless over the past 8 years.

Is there anything major outside of styling that should make me lean towards purchasing a '17 vs going with a low mileage '16? Transmission engine / major components are carryover correct? My wife actually prefers the 16 styling over the new and the pricing is much better. I'm sure if we wait until the end of the year maybe I could get close to the same pricing as the new design will have been out awhile. We are looking at another SH-AWD tech package . I'm kinda gun shy at purchasing at all over all the tranny issues that have been on the forums with the 3rd gen. Our 09 has been Rock solid standard Acura reliability and was hoping the same holds true for the 3rd gen.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. I see the different negative things about the 16 and 17 MDX and it makes nervous about buying. It seems like the quality isn't as high anymore. I hope people will chime in on this thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I would say why upgrading at all? is there a compelling reason? If the car has been dead on reliable I would not take my chances on a new car that isn't really a HUGE step up. Wait for the 4G MDX instead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, please realize that the forums make up less than 1% of users/owners out there. Problems may seem prolific here but they barely register on the grand scheme. Also remember that most people join forums due to problems they are having rather than to be an active happy participant.

Loving my 17 so far. 3100 miles in.
The transmission does carry over but it supposedly has programming updates to rid itself of the nags some 16 owners have experienced.
I personally enjoy the new styling as it appears more sporty and less bland. A little more edgy if you will.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is nothing substantially different about the 2017 compared to the 2016 that is not purely aesthetic. Well, other than those additional USB ports! BTW, My '16 CPO has been perfect.

The big difference you will find with the 3rd gen compared to your '09 is fuel consumption and the option to use regular gas. I moved to my '16 from an '04 and am still getting used to not having to fill up the car every week.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well, there are actually a few non aesthetic changes. For one, AWP is standard. Bolt patterns changed to 5x120. Remote starter is standard. Captain seats now standard on advance without entertainment. Slightly different headlights. Walk away auto lock of doors now exists. This is only the stuff i remember off the top of my head.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased a CPO 16 MDX tech AWD with PAWS that had 1400 miles and traded in 14 MDX tech FWD. I'm glad I did, not sure if the 17 looks so much better. Transfer all the options from my 14 to 16 which made my deal hard to pass up. The 9 speed seems flawless to me. theThe biggest thing is to be able to find a good CPO at this time plus with the 17 hybrid coming out I would definitely have 2nd thoughts on a 16.. $1500 more for the hybrid seems to be a no brainer. If you can wait for a 17 CPO would be a better value. It's all about value.. The big thing is 3 years from now when 4th Gen comes out what value would a 16 vs 17 would be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a '14 tech SH-AWD, traded it for a '17 base SH-AWD, no issues with the '14 but had 40k miles on it and did not want to do tires and brakes to then trade it in a year or so later. I chose the '17 over the '16 for the standard safety stuff, the adaptive cruise and lane keeper is a nice addition, I also like the styling better on the '17.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a '16 Elite SH-AWD and love it. Got a great deal as compared to the new '17.

Not sure where you are, or if it's different in USA vs. Canada (where I am) but mine has the adaptive cruise and lane keeper and all that jazz, so you should be able to find a 16 with those features as well.

I am not sure about the new front end, though I like that the 17 has good looking LED for the turn signals, where mine is still the old bulbs, which don't really match the nice LED headlights I have.

But for me, it was more the deal. I paid almost $20K less than buying the same vehicle new, and it only had 5000km on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have had a MDX since the 2010 year and have owned a 2010, 2012, 2015 and the worse one was the 2010 and then the 2015. The 2010 looked like a Christmas Tree on the dash most of the time. Lights always lighting up and had to have major transmission repairs before 20,000 miles. The 2015 has just had a bunch of Acura no fix issues that they keep saying they are still working on. Come on guys this is almost a 3 year old car and you still have no fixes. Last one for me. As far as Tech package, waste of money and the nav is worthless.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I have had a MDX since the 2010 year and have owned a 2010, 2012, 2015 and the worse one was the 2010 and then the 2015. The 2010 looked like a Christmas Tree on the dash most of the time. Lights always lighting up and had to have major transmission repairs before 20,000 miles. The 2015 has just had a bunch of Acura no fix issues that they keep saying they are still working on. Come on guys this is almost a 3 year old car and you still have no fixes. Last one for me. As far as Tech package, waste of money and the nav is worthless.
Nav is not worthless. We were coming back from Florida. Looking for a traffic report on the interstate. No cell phone service. The hd traffic on my Garmin wasn't working. The only traffic was on my MDX. It's way overpriced. A pain to use,but not worthless. Tech package is overpriced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1 on the NAV for sure! Any iPhone is eons better. Their NAV system is not even up to par with the one in my 10 year old BMW 335i ... a total joke!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts