Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Try Hoehn Acura - $136.00

Just returned from visiting my sister's family in Northern San Diego county. Had to have the "x" serviced at just under 15K miles while there and glad I did.

Hoehn Acura was the closest. They are located in Carlsbad along auto row.

I called and got an oppointment within two days with no problem. I delivered the car on the appointed day and sat down with the service advisor (Dave) expecting to hear an Austin, TX quoted price for the service of over $270.00. I almost fell out of my chair when I was quoted a total cost of $136.00 which included a $10.00 fee for the loaner.

They also did the tension recall work and had the car ready when they said they would. Couldn't beat this with a stick.

After this very pleasant experience, I would highly recommend Hoehn Acura for their service. Ask for Dave. He's a kick. BTW, this 15K service included all of the inspections.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Fvince:

___That was a great price and worth it for even some of us DIY’ers!

___Good Luck and thanks for passing on this info for the San Diego, California MDX owning contingent …

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got mine done at Acura 101 West in Calabasas, CA. They charged 149.00 +tax and it included a loaner. It was done the same day as well.

Very happy with them. Much more than Acura Santa Monica (though I still go there cause it's close to my work).

Anyone know of a Mazda Tribute Forum? I have to get some work done on my wife's car.

Thanx,

Dave

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm just about ready to do 15K service too. Look thru the manual yesterday and here is what dealer will do for me Wednesday:

1. Oil change $24.95
2. Tire rotation $26.00
3. VTM-4 fluid change (around $50)

They always wash and vacuum car and I will use their shuttle service.

I'm not gonna pay $400 over what's listed above for someone to open the hood and say: "It looks good. Done."

·
Registered
189 Posts
DIY

I did it myself 2 weeks ago, just try to save couple bucks and took a really good care of my X. I know the dealers always treat you like an idiot and tell you "you need to pay $2000 more so your vehicle will keep running and your mind will be peaceful" and rip you off. I try not to play with them unless necessary.

By the way, I have access to a lift and that makes the job easier.

1. Oil and Filter : I got them from a Honda Dealer.

Story : I talked to the technician at an Acura dealership I went to before I decide to do it myself, he didn't know that my vehicle needs 5w-20 oil and after I told him that, he quoted there isn't much difference. Although the difference between 5w-20 and 5-30 is very small (for emission purpose only), but, why should I pay you if you can't do the job right and even don't care using the right engine oil specified in the manual?

2. VTM-4 : bought from a Honda Dealer also, comes with one-gallon bottle. I bought a suction gun at a local auto parts store for about $10. This makes the job joyful.

Story : The used VTM-4 fluid looked clean and still fresh red. And there was very very little metal deposit on the magnet. So, although the manual says replace at 15k for proper break-in, I feel it may not be necessary for vehicles mostly run on paved highways like mine.

3. R & B : I also have access to a Hunter 9700 Vibration Control System, that's why I can do this myself also.

4. Inspect brake system, no leaks found. That's all I care. Pads? Come on, it' only 15k. The original pads on my 92 Accord lasted 7 years, 110k.

Story (a little bit off topic) : I sent my 2000 Sienna (45K) to a Toyota dealership (still under extended warranty for major components) to check some kind of noise from under hood. They called me and wanted to replace a lot of ridiculous "maintenance" items which are not covered under warranty (hoses, belts, you name it) and told me a "Major Maintenance" is DUE and quoted me $1200. I told them I just want to see if they can have the noise problem fixed first. The "Advisor" (aka the "polite robber") tried his best to persuade me that my front brake pads are pretty bad and I have to replace them cause it's life saving item and quoted me $350. I didn't fall for it and insisted that they fix the problem I was there for first. They finally decided that the noise is from the alternator after 2 days, they replaced it and, the noise is still there.
I checked the "life threatening" pads myself. Yep, you probably know the answer already, they still have about 75% thickness. The condition of the pads are still very very good. They are in such a good condition that my friends listened to this story and looked at the pads and joked "They must replaced the pads and forgot to charge you."

5. Other "Inspections". I visually looking for leaks, etc. and check for fluid levels. I check 7 fluids under hood : coolant, engine oil, transmission oil, windshield washer, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and the battery "greeneye". Do dealers use some kind of state-of-the-art equipment to do it? I don't think so. The techs probably just do the same in 5 minutes and charge you $50.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just had my "15,000 mile service" done at Rallye Acura on Long Island, NY (my dealer)

Oil change/filter $24.50 (with coupon)

VTM4 change:

Labor .5 hours $49.00
Fluid 16.80
Washer (18mm) 2.09
Washer (20mm) .63

Total 68.52

Evaporative recall: N/C

Car Wash N/C

Total $93.02

Tax 8.14

<B>GRAND TOTAL $101.16</b>

JeffK

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I just had mine done today as well. I did the same thing as JeffK. They tried to push the 15K package on me but I told them I just wanted the LOF and the VTM change. That saved me a cool $120.

I told my wife that it pay$ to be involved with this forum!! Thanks everyone for the heads up on this.

·
Registered
329 Posts
JeffK said:
Just had my "15,000 mile service" done at Rallye Acura on Long Island, NY (my dealer)
<B>GRAND TOTAL $101.16</b>
JeffK
That's Fantastic! I was at Acura of Brooklyn last month gettting an oil change and before I left I asked the Rep. what the charge was for the 15,000 mile service. He quoted me a ridiculous charge of $389. :ucrazy: I'm close to 14k and I was starting to shop around for the best price. Thanks for the info. Btw, where did you get the coupon for the oil change? Do they have loaners at Rallye and how much notice do you have to give them?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The coupon was from Rallye.

Loaners: Yes, but there is a waiting period and it is limited to those who purchased from Rallye.

I just dropped my car off in the morning, had my wife pick me up and then picked the car up in the afternoon.

JeffK

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi, JeffK,
How much did Rallye charge you for 7500 service? I plan to do mine there next month.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The 7,500 mile service is oil/filter change.

I used a Rallye coupon - $24.50 + tax.

Good luck!

JeffK

61 - 74 of 74 Posts