Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for my 15K service and instead of taking it back to my dealer, I'm thinking of taking it to a reputable garage (Japan Motors) that I'd used pre-MDX without a problem. The only downside I see is that I probably won't get a free wash job but with $120 I'm saving I can afford to have it washed a number of times.

·
Registered
161 Posts
$89= Very reasonable price. Are they doing the complete 15K service with oil change, VTM change, tire rotation, etc...

I wish there was an auto service shop in the San Francisco-Peninsula area that offered a price close to the $89.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told over the phone that it would include all 15k items. I didn't verify all items because I was still shopping. I'm going to set up an appointment and verify it before proceeding.

·
Registered
747 Posts
MSUSpartan,

Is the shop located in Roseville? 2nd, the 15K doesn't require a VTM fluid change, so I'm sure that quote doesn't include that price. Let me know in this thread or via PM where the shop is. Thanks!

Rob :31:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're located over on Fulton Avenue near El Camino. They've been in Sacramento for many years. They used to be over on Auburn near Fulton. The only bummer is that I'd like my weeping mirrors fixed but only the dealer can do that at no charge so I'll still have to take it to Lasher for that.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Good point, my bad... I guess our triple digit highs lately can be considered severe, eh MSU? Thanks for the info--can you let us know what the 89 bucks includes when you find out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Let's see, 2 washers, something less than 3 qts of VTM fluid, and about 5-10min labor. Sounds about right. 100% over-charge.
So $140 and then you add transmission drain at 30K. So now we are probably up to $200. Unless you want a transmission flush instead (not every dealer can do that) probably will move it to $250.
Oh sorry, Special: "$249".
I'm kidding around, overall sounds like their pricing is fair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
MSU: Saw your recent post re: service on your MDX. I just took delivery of a 2002 last month, with only 2k miles now. Ordered through Niello and very happy with sales experience. Have experienced the "ticking" from left/front of dash, with no luck in having dealer fix it. I would like to know, however, who does your serviceing. You mentioned a shop on Fulton, and I'm just curious as to the name/location of the shop, their charges and what effect, if any, it has on the warranty. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had my MDX for 16 months now and have not had to take it in for anything besides scheduled maintenance. I bought mine from Lasher and took it to them for the 7500 but couldn't see spending an extra $120+ for the 15k work. I was told that it wouldn't effect the warranty.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
MSUSpartan said:
Had the 15k done yesterday for $90.32 total. All inspections, lubes, oil change & filter and tire rotation. (No VTM change)
In my book, that is excessive!

30 minutes max on labor.

Did they give you a written record of the inspections? Brake pad thickness? Did they explicitly list what they inspected and the condition?

There is NO LUBE!, but sure sounds impressive.... it is oil change, tire rotate, and look, look,look...

Oh, AND BTW, triple digit heat DOES NOT mean the VTM4 needs changing on the severe service schedule! Yes, other maintenance items do, but not the VTM4 (at least in the 2001 manual...)

Ard

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
'Lube' could be hinges, latches, and locks as recommended in the manual.

Until I got my X just over a month ago, was getting oil & filter changes, fluid levels, safety checks which included brake pad thickness with numbers checked, tires rotated, tread wear checked with numbers, air pressure, lights and brake operation checked, and a basic car wash for $56.
Quick Lane service at a Lincoln Mercury dealer. Waiting time around an hour.

Standard oil & Filter change included checking air pressure in tires, fluid levels, lights, brake pedal travel. $29 wait about 30 minutes.

Regardless of level of service, they did find minor problems from time to time, like belts getting worn, etc. Always honest about it, they never stuck me.

I just went back tonight and looked at old receipts, I forgot it was that reasonable. Don't know what's in store for me at Acura.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
DaleB said:
'Lube' could be hinges, latches, and locks as recommended in the manual.
Sure, at 30k I believe...

and not like the old days of grease guns and zerk fittings scattered around the chassis.

A can of white spray grease from the auto parts store, just do it while you are washing/detailing

·
Registered
282 Posts
$469 for 15K Servicing

I purchased my X from Rallye Acura in Roslyn, Long Island, NY. I went back for all servicing until I hit the 15K this past month. Called for appointment and they were charging $469. HOLY SH-T!!!

Well I called other dealers in LI and found Acura of Valley Stream doing it for $259 and they even offered me a loaner though I did NO purchase from them.

I got fax from both dealers on what was covered in 15K servicing. Differences were Rallye was doing Wiper Refills BUT Valley Stream was doing Air FIlter. Everything else was same.

Valley Stream was cheaper and doing more.

Another difference was Rallye gives older Integras as loaner where Valley Stream gives RSX or TL as loaner.

Little must I say I went to Valley Stream and want to thank Mark Hazelwood and rest of group for their courtesy and fine servicing.

If anyone else in LI area knows of cheaper Acura dealer for servicing, please let me know.

Mush

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Mush-

could you post what is in either 15k service??

Since 15k means different things to different dealers AND if it is severe service or not.

curious as to what they put into a $469 service (or 259 for that matter) that according to the manual doesn't REQUIRE anything other than oil change and tire rotation, plus a bunch of inspections....

I mean, if they are changing the air in all the tires, PLUS the spare- and retorquing the valve caps on the tires, and re-calibrating the power door locks, well- maybe its a good deal.

;)

Ard

1 - 20 of 74 Posts