Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide if spending a couple of grand more for a '15 Advance and its features is better than a '16 Tech and Ent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the lack of info. $49000 for '15 advance w/ 7500 miles or $46500 for '16 tech and ent w/ 7200 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have to consider your lifestyle and what the '15 Advance brings to the table vs. the '16 Tech w/Entertainment. Tell them to meet you 1/2 way and you'll buy the Advance for $47,750, and have them throw in some oil changes or accessories to sweeten the deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would go for an Advance, preferring the '16 model

Inventory of MDX is higher than normal after Pilot introduction and you should look at Factory to dealer incentives. I expect that there is probably a $1000 incentive to the dealer on the Tech trim, and an additional $1000 to the dealer on the Advance trim. Those are recent TLX FTD incentives between Tech and Advance trims. MDX might be slightly more. Getting $3-4K off MSRP should be no problem particularly if you are in an area which has more than one Acura dealer in the region.

Regarding the Advance vs. Tech/Entertainment, I would rather have the better leather and features in the Advance over the Tech with the rear entertainment system. The frequency of long distance road trips and kids is the decision criteria I think between the two otherwise.

For '15 vs '16, I prefer the 9AT transmission in the '16 over the 6AT and that is the main reason I suggest going with a '16. I have experience with the 9AT in TLX and MDX and the MDX implementation is very good. TLX shifts differently with the 9AT, has some minor quirks - but even knowing that I would still choose 9AT in that as well if offered a choice. 6AT is good too, but doesn't have the low end that the 9AT model has, nor does it change gears as quickly but it is smooth. I have experience with the 6AT in TL, V6 Accord - it's the same transmission. The 9AT with the SH-AWD is a really good combination from an enthusiast standpoint particularly in sport mode. It is different, and drives differently in the sport and normal modes but you have a choice.

Some other things about the 9AT -

-Engine compression/braking is really good in the 9AT in Sport mode
-9AT can hold 1st gear going down a steep hill, e.g. in winter conditions (6AT can't)
-Paddle shifter response time better, even more so in Sport mode
-Much better low end performance, very fun to drive especially when you get the engine revs into the i-VTEC sweet spot.

Make sure you drive them both and have the salesperson let you try the '16 in both Normal and Sport modes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great feedback. A lot which was posted is exactly what I was thinking. Both of these vehicles have points I didn't like but was trying to justify with the wallet savings. I think I'm going to turn my attentions to a'16 Advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We were in a similar situation. Used 14 advanced on the lot vs new 16 Sh-awd +tech+ent. Drove both and ended up with the new one. Initially we were a little concerned with the new "jerky" 9 speed, but the sales man said that it would go a way after 500 miles. Have to admit, this is the only time a salesman was right! 1500 miles in and it's smooth as butter. The new 16 is a whole different animal! We love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts