Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2014 tech package with only 14k miles. I have been mainly looking at 2015 models for the convenience of having the "bug" issues fixed. Person I am potentially buying from only drove to the airport and back. No kids or animals in the car either. Should I hold out for a 2015 with more miles or is this deal too good to pass up? Any issues I should watch for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Most of the 'bug issues' that affected 'some' 2014 models also affected 2015 model years and even later model years. I wouldn't expect any significant difference between a 2014 and 2015. Most of those issues were fixed under warranty so as long as the fixes were applied, assuming the bugs presented themselves in the first place, then there will be no bugs to contend with.

I have a very early 2014 (built June 2013) and it's been a great problem free vehicle.

Things to watch out for -

- Inspect the body panel alignment closely - some vehicles had some poorly aligned panels. This applies to 2015 in addition to 2014.

- Drive the vehicle around listening for rear end thumps, etc., especially over some rougher roads. 'Some' of these vehicles (both years) exhibited some noise from the rear shocks but there's a fix for this in a TSB.

- As you would for buying any used or new vehicle, do a reasonably extensive test drive, inspect the exterior and interior all around, and know what you're buying.

I'd have no hesitation myself buying a used 2014 MDX based on my experience with the one I have, which now has 39K miles on it.

You should have at least a bit of bumper to bumper factory warranty left on the 2014, and even more power train warranty left. You should make sure you get any outstanding issues taken care of right away so you won't have to pay for those once after the warranty period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the 'bug issues' that affected 'some' 2014 models also affected 2015 model years and even later model years. I wouldn't expect any significant difference between a 2014 and 2015. Most of those issues were fixed under warranty so as long as the fixes were applied, assuming the bugs presented themselves in the first place, then there will be no bugs to contend with.

I have a very early 2014 (built June 2013) and it's been a great problem free vehicle.

Things to watch out for -

- Inspect the body panel alignment closely - some vehicles had some poorly aligned panels. This applies to 2015 in addition to 2014.

- Drive the vehicle around listening for rear end thumps, etc., especially over some rougher roads. 'Some' of these vehicles (both years) exhibited some noise from the rear shocks but there's a fix for this in a TSB.

- As you would for buying any used or new vehicle, do a reasonably extensive test drive, inspect the exterior and interior all around, and know what you're buying.

I'd have no hesitation myself buying a used 2014 MDX based on my experience with the one I have, which now has 39K miles on it.

You should have at least a bit of bumper to bumper factory warranty left on the 2014, and even more power train warranty left. You should make sure you get any outstanding issues taken care of right away so you won't have to pay for those once after the warranty period.

Thanks so much for the info and the reply back. Appreciate all the heads up about the TSBs and what to look for.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Poster 'neoshi' made a thread on this site with the TSBs in it so you can read some of them there.

It's important to realize that a number of posters here will come, complain, be referred to have the dealer check n the issue, and then never come back to post again. The point is that just because a few people post of some issues it doesn't mean 'all' of the vehicles of that model year have those same issues.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Thanks so much for the info and the reply back. Appreciate all the heads up about the TSBs and what to look for.

There were some changes to the nav and to the radio that the 15s received. Or should have. They weren't available for the 14. Make sure those have been done. A 15 will obviously cost more. Plus some first year bugs should be fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poster 'neoshi' made a thread on this site with the TSBs in it so you can read some of them there.

It's important to realize that a number of posters here will come, complain, be referred to have the dealer check n the issue, and then never come back to post again. The point is that just because a few people post of some issues it doesn't mean 'all' of the vehicles of that model year have those same issues.

For sure. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There were some changes to the nav and to the radio that the 15s received. Or should have. They weren't available for the 14. Make sure those have been done. A 15 will obviously cost more. Plus some first year bugs should be fixed.

Thanks! Will make sure I get that looked at.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Nav is the weak spot of the 2014. The display is dim and entering a destination is cumbersome, especially while driving. I believe there have been incremental improvements in subsequent model years ( both hardware and software ), but IMO the Alpine system is just way behind the technology curve. AFAIK the software for 2015 and beyond is NOT compatible with the hardware in the 2014. If someone knows different, you would make my day.

Otherwise it's a great vehicle and we plan to drive ours until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We are really impressed with our MDX. It required a fair amount of time to master the features so they were not distractions while driving.

Right now studying up on fluid changes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love my new to me 14 MDX Advance w RES. But man is the navigation hard to use. Or maybe I'm just that behind in times! Lol

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts