Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

14 MDX jerky / loud vibrations at low RPM's

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  PeterUbers 
#1 ·
So it definitely wasn't always like this with my 14 MDX, but more recently, when the car is at low RPM's (sometimes even in higher gears) the car will shake somewhat violently and feel pretty jerky until it gets going to a higher RPM. I can actually see the tachometer bounce up and down along with the jerkiness.

I took it in today to get looked at and the service tech said they'll check it out, but it feels like they're already to say it's how it's supposed to be. He recommended going to sport mode and to stop using Costco fuel.

Anyone else experience anything like this or have any recommendations for what I should do?

#3 ·
Hmm if it continues after changing to Top Tier fuel (Costco gas really shouldn't make THAT kind of difference, so I'm pretty sure it's something else), then try going in with this: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi...esent/91865-tsb-s-2014-mdx-4.html#post1185513

Based on your bouncey tachometer, you could have that issue in the TSB, so if changing tranny fluid fixes it, that would be a telltale sign. Changing to sport mode is a stupid way of trying to solve jerkiness. If anything, it can induce MORE of it.

#5 ·
So my dealer just called and said there was no software update available to fix the transmission issue but wanted to charge me $389 to do a complete transmission flush. I told him I don't believe I should have to pay for that. That was before I found out about the B16-044 TSB. I am printing that out now and taking it to the dealership to see what they have to say.

Am I out of my mind for thinking I shouldn't have to pay for this?

#11 ·
Thank you all! I submitted the TSB to my dealer and he said he's going to talk to his service manager to see what they can do for me. I'll see what they say. Otherwise I'll be taking it to another dealer. They also tried to make me feel grateful because they waived a $145 diagnostic fee for me.

#13 ·
Yeah, I bought the extended warranty too (6 years 120k miles). I was baffled when he tried to say that.

So an update:
I got a call back and they're saying there's nothing they can do to help me with the price. Basically my only option is to open a case with American Honda or pay the $390 fee they're wanting to charge. I'm at a loss for words, but don't know what else to say besides "other people on the internet are not having to pay for this".

I'm wondering if other local dealers are going to tell me the same thing.

#14 ·
Might not be a bad idea to start a case with ACR anyway, though we all know they tend to side with the dealer for technical. If you can demonstrate that changing the fuel makes no difference for the issue, then I'm sure ACR will probably cough up an approval for warranty work.

#15 ·
So the dealer just called out of the blue and said that they want to help me out. They agreed to do the service for free but explained that they technically don't "need" to do anything, but were doing it on good faith.

In any case, I suppose I should be happy about it, just feels like some extra hoopla I had to jump through though.

#18 ·
The dealer is an ass for trying to make it seem like it's a good faith service to you. The TSB reimburses them for such a simple job that isn't even a permanent fix for the issue (if indeed you are getting judders). Not to mention with your extended warranty, they get paid either way (assuming your extended warranty covers this section). This is services you've already paid for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.