Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - i have a 2014 Base SH-AWD and i recently had a 2016 Base as a loaner for 2 weeks while a faulty front strut was replaced under warranty. I noticed that the camera in the 16 was significantly brighter and crisper than my 14 - mine looks pretty washed out and a little blurry. Have other 14 owners noticed the same?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hi All - i have a 2014 Base SH-AWD and i recently had a 2016 Base as a loaner for 2 weeks while a faulty front strut was replaced under warranty. I noticed that the camera in the 16 was significantly brighter and crisper than my 14 - mine looks pretty washed out and a little blurry. Have other 14 owners noticed the same?
You can do a search on this. There have been complaints about the camera since it came out. Almost 4 years ago.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What you stated is too subjective to compare against. The best thing to do would be to find another 2014, the dealer may have one on the lot or in the service bay, and compare yours against one or two other 2014s. There are a couple posters here who have both a 2014 and a newer one who might be able to state the comparison for you.

For the record - I haven't seen anyone post here that the camera view in the 2016 is significantly better than that in the 2014. You may find out yours is abnormal for a 2014 and should have it checked by the dealer if still under warranty.

I assume you made sure the camera lens was clean on your 2014 as you were making the comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My MY13 MDX camera is the same way. Very poor visibility in certain light circumstances. The rear camera in my MY13 Lincoln MKS is far superior. I would assume Acura had made some major improvements since model year.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The MY17 camera is adequate during the day. It's not super crisp, but it's just a backup cam afterall...meaning, I don't need to read street signs through it for god's sake. However, at night it is basically useless and I've come to conclude that it's a light sensitivity issue.

Via an install of Rigid's SRQ LED pod, I've been able to greatly increase the use of the camera at night. The camera is very sensitive to foreground lighting, so you'd need to carefully limit the amount of light directly behind the vehicle if you wanted to see things in the distance (i.e. reflections off the bumper greatly damper the ability to see items more than a few feet behind the vehicle).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2016 and the camera sucks!!! I understand that it is just a back up camera so it doesn't need to be so clear but I don't like it. The one on my BMW is nice and clear.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I haven't seen anyone post that they think the rear cam in the 3rd gen MDX is super clear, or great, or has excellent resolution. It certainly could stand to be improved but for the OP I think it's a matter of subjectivity and relativity - i.e. I think you need to compare your 2014 with some other 2014s. Yours might be worse than others in which case there could be something wrong with it you might want to get fixed if it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my 2017 camera is noticeably better than the 2014 camera has. The only thing I wish they kept in the rear camera interface is the "straight down" view that I had on the 2014. Made it WAY easier to connect a trailer or get into a tight parking spot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
my 2017 camera is noticeably better than the 2014 camera has. The only thing I wish they kept in the rear camera interface is the "straight down" view that I had on the 2014. Made it WAY easier to connect a trailer or get into a tight parking spot.
It's there on my '17...just have to select the different view. Push the central "OK" knob while the camera is on. Top down and wide angle are available views.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's there on my '17...just have to select the different view. Push the central "OK" knob while the camera is on. Top down and wide angle are available views.
Hmmmm,I push the button, but the views are slightly different. I used to be able to look straight down right at the trailer hitch, now (with 2017) I just have a wider angle view where I can see the trailer hitch but it's not the good enough to accurately get the hitch as close with the old one. Maybe i'm not doing it right? I have the advance/tech with the surround view, so maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmmmm,I push the button, but the views are slightly different. I used to be able to look straight down right at the trailer hitch, now (with 2017) I just have a wider angle view where I can see the trailer hitch but it's not the good enough to accurately get the hitch as close with the old one. Maybe i'm not doing it right? I have the advance/tech with the surround view, so maybe that's the difference?
Tech package here. I leave mine in "normal". One push gets me top down (right over the bumper edge) a second push gets me the wide angle. Seems we need some additional input here huh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts