Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like that Homelink is in almost all cars power by 12V hot at all times. Seems to defeat a main advantage of homelink, w/o the ignition on if someone gets into the car they can't open your garage door. As it is it's no better and maybe worse than a remote opener that can be somewhat hidden.

So, on all of my vehicles I've managed to rewired homelink to a 12V accessory power. The MDX is the exception, on my 2019 MDX hybrid advanced model, I've been searching and haven't found a 12V accessory power in anything in the overhead console. I did download wiring diagrams for homelink, the switches for the sunroof and the lights and no switched power. Also couldn't find any 12V accesory power going to the auto dimming mirror. Lost my subscription to service express before I could do any more wiring diagrams, so looking for any info anyone has on a 12V accessory power connection anywhere in the overhead console.

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
18 Posts
If you have Homelink programmed you have a garage, so shouldn't the vehicle be in the garage and therefore it won't matter that the transmitter is hot? Just a thought.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have Homelink programmed you have a garage, so shouldn't the vehicle be in the garage and therefore it won't matter that the transmitter is hot? Just a thought.
well, kinda tough when I have a 2 car garage and 4 vehicles along with when our son visits his homelink is programmed for his garage and ours. That means 3 vehicles parked outside. Now the MDX and my roadster do get garaged. My truck and sons truck have been modified so homelink only works in accessories and MB at least on some older models only let homelink work with ignition on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thats what the alarm system is for isnt it? Honestly unless you live in a high crime area I just dont see a need.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with op that it's a stupid design. It's no more secure than having an opener remote clipped to ur visor. Why design it to always be hot?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have the same issue as the OP. The Homelink should be only hot in accessory mode. I ended up deleting the homelink settings when my son had his TSX because he parks outside. I just gave him a key chain door opener instead.

I don't think the Acura alarm will sound if someone breaks the glass and then uses the homelink button? Thinking about upgrading my +13 year old garage door openers that are wifi capable for notifications on smartphone and you can even add a webcam to some of them.

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
18 Posts
Another option would be to put contact sensors on your garage doors if you already have a home security system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts