Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am looking for recommendations on the parts for my 2016 MDX with 100K service:
At 100K service requires:
New Timing Belt (Use OEM or 3rd party)
New Spark Plugs NGK (3rd Gen MDX use 6 plugs? buy OEM or 3rd party? and can someone share the locations of the plugs? I remember i saw the map somewhere but couldn't find it in the forum)
  • Checked water pump and so far so good, no leak.
  • All shocks/struts are good and no leak.
I am planning to buy all parts and bring them to the body shop, I'll DIY everything except the Timing Belt.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I did coolant and serpentine belt kit with my 105K with my 11 MDX. I was also due for brake fluid since it was close to 4 years when my 105k popped up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There's a thread about the 3rd Gen timing belt and associated components here:

For something like this, I'd personally go with OEM parts, especially if you plan on hanging onto the vehicle for a while.

I'd also get the water pump done at the same time, but that's just me. I haven't heard of a Honda/Acura water pump leaking on a J series engine, but they're mostly replaced with the timing belt anyway. So I do wonder how long on average they can go before they start to leak...

I'd definitely have the timing belt tensioner changed out as well.

Honda/Acura OEM spark plugs are typically NGK and/or Denso. Just find the right part number in the maintenance section of the owner's manual (I don't recall if they're different than the ones used on the 2014-2015 models), and buy from any place you want.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a thread about the 3rd Gen timing belt and associated components here:

For something like this, I'd personally go with OEM parts, especially if you plan on hanging onto the vehicle for a while.

I'd also get the water pump done at the same time, but that's just me. I haven't heard of a Honda/Acura water pump leaking on a J series engine, but they're mostly replaced with the timing belt anyway. So I do wonder how long on average they can go before they start to leak...

I'd definitely have the timing belt tensioner changed out as well.

Honda/Acura OEM spark plugs are typically NGK and/or Denso. Just find the right part number in the maintenance section of the owner's manual (I don't recall if they're different than the ones used on the 2014-2015 models), and buy from any place you want.
Yeah, I found the OEM part number on the spark plug, some online honda/acura store selling like $40 a piece? I am not sure if it 6 pieces in a box or is it 1 single plug for $40? I found AutoZone around $20 ( NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug 95350) and $9 for NGK IX Ididium Spark Plug 93175

As for the Timing belt, do i need to replace all the pieces? or just order the timing belt only? Do I really need to replace all parts for timing belt? (sensor, cover gaskets, bolt, grommet, etc)

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car for an extended period do ALL of the TB related components with it. A failed water pump, idler, tensioner, etc., can take out the TB just as easily as the TB failing itself, in fact maybe even more likely is a related component the true cause of the failure. Second, use an Aisin kit (basically OEM) purchased from rockauto.com ONLY. Do NOT purchase so called OEM parts from Amazon or Ebay. Too much risk of counterfeit parts that will fail early. One exception for Ebay is if it is one of the dealers that sells there, but at that point just go straight to the dealer website like Bernardi if you absolutely want dealer parts. Plugs can be had at RockAuto or one of the chain parts stores, anywhere you can feel comfortable that they have full control of their supply chain to avoid the risk of counterfeit.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I did a fair amount of research on this and I just did two jobs one for my 2015 MDX and one for my 2008 Accord V6.

For my MDX I went all OEM parts directly ordered from my local Acura parts desk. I believe I listed all the parts in the thread listed above.

For my Accord V6 - I went with the Aisin Kit that included the seals.

The Aisin Kit looked just like the OEM parts, it’s a fine kit - just make sure you look around because on Amazon it can swing from $178 to $275 for the kit.

I didn’t go with the Aisin Kit for the MDX becasue there were two parts with updated part numbers and one of them was the belt. And at the time when I did my belt the Aisin Kit did not have an available kit for the 3rd gen MDX. The Aisin Kit TKH-002 now states it fits 3rd gen models but know that there is an updated part number for the belt and I think idler. I am not comfortable taking the chance the part didn’t change and using a kit that fits both parts. Some folks say it’s the same belt even with the updated part number. I wasn’t willing to take that chance.

Like the others said - if you plan to hang onto the car do everything including the seals and serpentine belt and pulley for that as it’s known to go bad.

The belt is the least of the worry. Both belts from both cars looked new, the 2008 accord belt had no signs of wear or cracking or anything. It’s the water pump or tensioner and for the MDX the idler pulley is more likely to fail before the belt and to get to them you have to do all the steps it takes to replace the belt. And my understanding is if the tensioner fails and your belt skips you could (should) be in for a major engine job.

You also maybe due for a suspension. Mine was shot at around 95k miles. There are no aftermarket parts for them and there’s no complete assembly. It’s expensive. In hindsight I would have only replace the struts and rubber parts and bolts. I’d reuse the springs and mounts until the next time.

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I highly suspect this kit in this link is counterfeit. I would not buy this kit.

I would not buy any OEM parts from Amazon or EBay unless it’s sold by the dealer and has dealer contact info. But even so I’d just go to the dealer direct.
They are right, reviews are bad at these set, they r not oem, but this gives you the list on what you needs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I'm going to order the full kits online/dealer, but I am not sure why is it cost $40 for a piece of spark plug? Is it 1 or a few in a box? Autozone selling for $20 a piece.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just did the TB on my 14MDX. I ordered all the parts from Rock Auto as noted above including the upper and lower rad hoses. Already got everything apart so the rad hoses were a no brainer to do at the same time. The cost was under $20 for the mouled pair and only took a few minutes. Replaced clamps as well. Also had the valves adjusted just to bring them to tolerances. I fully expect another 100K with no or little issues.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got a quote from dealer for $1500 (Parts & Labor) to replace the Timing Belt, tensioner, water pump, Idler timing belt, adjuster timing belt thermostat and pulley set. What do you guys think? Is it reasonable? I'll just buy the Spark Plugs and do it myself, for timing belt and water pump, I have to pass: First, I don't have the right tools and 2nd it's last another 100K so I just want to do it right.
I know some of you might ask, why not DIY! Well it's not like oil change you have to change every 6-7K. This one last 100K so i'm ok with that. I look around for parts and found it cheaper compare to dealer but they wouldn't price match it, they're all OEM from Acura online. Oh well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered this set and compared every part to Genuine Honda and Acura parts that I purchased from my local Acura dealer, these are fake parts in packaging that are made to look like the real thing. I have been a Honda / Acura Master technician since 1991 I would not use these parts in my car or any of my customers cars, How much does it cost to replace an engine?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I ordered this set and compared every part to Genuine Honda and Acura parts that I purchased from my local Acura dealer, these are fake parts in packaging that are made to look like the real thing. I have been a Honda / Acura Master technician since 1991 I would not use these parts in my car or any of my customers cars, How much does it cost to replace an engine?
Yes, Someone already pointed out this on Post#8, they are fake.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Okies, so Auto Zone had the same part number, I'm going to buy the spark plugs from AZ then. But which one is better? I heard Laser Iridium is better than the Platinum Plug right?
Replaced my plugs with NGK 95350 Laser Iridium purchased from RockAuto. They're $12.10/ea when you buy a package of 4. Order 2 more separately for a bit higher single piece price. NGK 95350 is OEM and exactly what I had on my 2015 Tech.

Someoneon on this forum swears that RockAuto sells(sometimes) counterfeit parts as well, so I sent pictures of NGK plugs from RockAuto to NGK engineer, confirmed they are genuine NGK. Save yourself a bunch of $$.

I replaced my TB, WP and others with Aisin kit from RockAuto on 2015 MDX, 2006 TL, no problem, YMMV. Don't forget to use 5% discount code when buying from RockAuto.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Replaced my plugs with NGK 95350 Laser Iridium purchased from RockAuto. They're $12.10/ea when you buy a package of 4. Order 2 more separately for a bit higher single piece price. NGK 95350 is OEM and exactly what I had on my 2015 Tech.

Someoneon on this forum swears that RockAuto sells(sometimes) counterfeit parts as well, so I sent pictures of NGK plugs from RockAuto to NGK engineer, confirmed they are genuine NGK. Save yourself a bunch of $$.

I replaced my TB, WP and others with Aisin kit from RockAuto on 2015 MDX, 2006 TL, no problem, YMMV. Don't forget to use 5% discount code when buying from RockAuto.
Hi, can you please tell how long does it take you to replace the TB and waterpump?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts